82 replies to this topic

#1 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

In these difficult times, AC40 Jagers are becoming a much more familiar sight on the battlefields of MWO. This thread is to ask that we, as a caring gaming community, come together to support these poor souls.

As we all know, AC40 Jagers are, in effect, a cry for help. Mounting not one, but two of the highest damage weapons in the game, is the Loadout of Last Resort for disillusioned and low-skilled pilots. It's the bottom of the barrel Mech for pilots who, after match after relentless match of being unable to hold lasers on target, or land SRMs or smaller ACs, finally come to terms with their inability to aim beyond short range and push the mouse button more than once per four seconds.

Feeling sorry for AC40 pilots is not enough. We need to help them gain the skills that may one day be necessary, should the fickle dead hand of PGI suddenly pluck away the crutch that presently supports them.

A two-stage intervention is needed, for each AC40 Jagermech we encounter.

First, we should remove one - but only one - of their arms. By constraining these pilots to only one AC20, we can start gradually weaning them off the close range insta-death-blows to which they've sadly become addicted.

Second, we should remove one - but only one - of their legs. This will get them accustomed to moving at the slower speed of an Assault... which is the actual speed which a Mech dealing 40 damage should be moving at.

Through this practical and sympathetic therapy program, I feel confident we can collectively rehabilitate AC40 Jager Pilots, so that they can once again resume their place in the MechWarrior community. With their newfound skills of aiming at medium range, and growing confidence in the use more balanced builds, they will be able to hold their heads up, instead of skulking shamefully in the shadows.

Please, fellow MechWarriors, join me in this important rehabilitation program. Our poor AC40 Jager Pilot brethren will thank us in the end.

#2 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

What are you trying to do, mutilate these guys?

#3 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 19 June 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

What are you trying to do, mutilate these guys?

''Mutilation'' is such an angry word. I think of it more as ''reconstructive surgery''.

#4 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

just remember, words like "cheese" and "dishonorable" are the words a fool uses because he does not want to acknowledge the law of the land.

and that law of the land is "anything that works, goes." If you don't like it? too bad, you don't sent the rules in stone, and that means any delusional concept you may come up with has to be agreed on by all participating parties in order to be valid, and even then it's entirely dependent on their willingness to handicap themselves for the sake of "honor". You may not realize it but "Honor" and "Chivalry" was what warriors had for games in medieval times, much in the same way there are good wrestlers and bad wrestlers.

only those with the means to set rules in stone, and enforce those rules have any legitimate say. Otherwise your that knight with a crossbow bolt through his chest going on about how peasants "have no honor abloo bloo bloo"

grow up.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 19 June 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#5 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 19 June 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

just remember, words like "cheese" and "dishonorable" are the words a fool uses because he does not want to acknowledge the law of the land.

and that law of the land is "anything that works, goes." If you don't like it? too bad, you don't sent the rules in stone, and that means any delusional concept you may come up with has to be agreed on by all participating parties to be valid.

only those with the means to set rules in stone, and enforce those rules have any legitimate say. Otherwise your that knight with a crossbow bolt through his chest going on about how peasants "have no honor abloo bloo bloo"

grow up.

What.

#6 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Alternative:
Run a Blackjack 1X with 8MLs.
Blow side torso off.
Laugh at the fact you just killed a 65ton mech with 28tons of weaponry with your 45ton mech and 8 tons of weaponry using only the ability to aim for a whole second.

Eventually they will realize the utility of being able to aim for longer than a split second.

#7 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

^It seems they are talking about the days of yore in Medieval Europe. Those were turbulent times dawg.

#8 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 19 June 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

and that law of the land is "anything that works, goes." If you don't like it? too bad, you don't sent the rules in stone, and that means any delusional concept you may come up with has to be agreed on by all participating parties to be valid.

grow up.

Rationalisation. Anger. Denial. These are all perfectly natural first responses to an intervention of this nature.

But it's okay. You are in a safe place, and we are here to help you.

I realise that the very idea of doing only 10 points of damage, by holding a couple of medium lasers on a target for a second or so, at medium range, seems frightening at first.

But you need to get back up on that iron horse, and have another go. We have faith in you. You can do it!

Edited by Appogee, 19 June 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#9 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

I have never viewed an AC40 Jager as that big of a problem. The build requires a lot of compromises and once you understand that they are easy to deal with unless one sneaks up on you, in which case he probably deserves the kill. They don't have the range or durability of say a 3x PPC and Gauss Misery and they have 5 less alpha damage. I view that type of loadout as much harder to deal with because it has the potential to ruin your day at any range and is tougher to bring down.

#10 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

I like to cut their arms first... then i cut one of their leg... side torso (if it's not XL), rear armor... mmm~ delicious!

#11 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostAppogee, on 19 June 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Rationalisation. Anger. Denial. These are all perfectly natural first response to an intervention of this nature.

But it's okay. You are in a safe place, and we are here to help you.

I know the idea of doing only 10 points of damage, by holding a couple of medium lasers on target for a second or so, at medium range, seems frightening.

But we have faith. You can do it! And we'll be there, cheering you along all the way.

Sorry, I'm not a delusional person who has to trick myself into thinking "OH THEY KILLED ME THEY'RE BAD I FEEL SORRY FOR THEM" so that i can escape both the reality of the situation as well as my own lack of ability and/or equipment.

you're calling them bad, and feeling "sorry" for them so you can continue to justify using a losing configuration, so you can justify not changing, because you're not only delusional, but you're also selfish, and you will sacrifice winning if it means pleasing your own ego and perpetuating the delusion that you're actually a winner, despite losing. If you do not abide by the rules set in stone within the reality you play, if you do not do everything you can to win within those rules, including forcing them to bend on occasion, then you're just meat in front of the grinder. The inflexible do not survive.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 19 June 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#12 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

I'm having a rehabilition session for people who can't kill a slow, poorly armoured heavy mech with a massive torso and short range, anyone fancy it?

#13 Unbound Inferno

• 1,168 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostAppogee, on 19 June 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

This will get them accustomed to moving at the slower speed of an Assault... which is the actual speed which a Mech dealing 40 damage should be moving at.

I should call shenanigans. My C4 with 2x LRM5 and 2x LRM15 has the potential to deal significantly more damage than dual AC20 on an unfortunate target over time - and I don't think it ever was running near a slow pace like that on the battlefield.

#14 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 19 June 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Sorry, I'm not a delusional person who has to trick myself into thinking "OH THEY KILLED ME THEY'RE BAD I FEEL SORRY FOR THEM" so that i can escape both the reality of the situation as well as my own lack of ability and/or equipment.

you're calling them bad, and feeling "sorry" for them so you can continue to justify using a losing configuration, so you can justify not changing, because you're not only delusional, but youre selfish, and you sacrifice winning if it means pleasing your own ego. If you do not abide by the rules set in stone within the reality you play, if you do not do everything you can to win, then you're just meat in front of the grinder. The inflexible do not survive.

If I feel bad for them while I kill them, am I still using it to justify an inferior configuration?

That is, while I kill the AC/40 Jagers.

Edited by One Medic Army, 19 June 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#15 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 19 June 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

If I feel bad for them while I kill them, am I still using it to justify an inferior configuration?

nope, you're doing it right. Just don't let those feelings get in the way of what you have to do. It's human nature to see our fallen enemies and reflect on them, to feel what it might have been like. It's a terrible feeling for sure but when two sides choose violence, the outcome is just, but inevitable, don't disrespect your fallen enemies with your pity, they chose the path they walked, respect their choice. Only the strongest in the environment survive, and through that strength they gain the right to dictate the world around them. Of course this is a video game, so there's no real reason to feel bad for them in a world of unlimited second chances.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 19 June 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#16 Odnir

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

This is good comedy. To the point, but not vulgar. Best I have seen in awhile.

#17 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Damn I need to buy me another Ac40 Jag. They were like easy mode, so I sold mine after Mastering, but now, post-patch... I feel like destroying something beautiful.

my build was a little ************ too. Beware.

Edited by ArchMage Sparrowhawk, 19 June 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#18 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

View PostBattlecruiser, on 19 June 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

you're calling them bad, and feeling "sorry" for them so you can continue to justify using a losing configuration, so you can justify not changing, because you're not only delusional, but you're also selfish, and you will sacrifice winning if it means pleasing your own ego and perpetuating the delusion that you're actually a winner, despite losing. If you do not abide by the rules set in stone within the reality you play, if you do not do everything you can to win within those rules, including forcing them to bend on occasion, then you're just meat in front of the grinder. The inflexible do not survive.

HEY! That's no way to talk to your therapist mister! We gotta take you to the big house!

#19 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

I think there needs to be a support group for pilots who think AC40 Jags are a problem. Once you admit the problem you are on your way to solving it. :)

#20 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

What happens if I hit their XL while trying to take off an arm? Do I get bonus points, or get sent to the penalty box? :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users