Some Ideas About New Game Modes: Espionage & Escape

9 replies to this topic

#1 daFunkyUnit

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOuterspace

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

First of all, why limit ourselves to 8v8, or 12v12?

Why not have matches that are 4v4? or 2v2? Or even unbalanced teams! (2v4, or 8v4, etc...) Then we can even have scenario-type missions!

For example, Espionage: One team must search the correct cargo container, find it, identify it (by targeting it, and must stay within range of it with it targeted for an amount of time to gather info), then destroy it if its the right correct cargo container. Then they must head for the drop ship and evac to end game and win. Other team's objective is to eliminate any enemies. They would not know what the other team is looking for, so defenders can't just blindly camp by the objective. They would have to actively patrol. And the cargo containers would be spread throughout the map. But destroying a cargo container (whether its the objective or not) would alert the defending team!

And about escaping to the drop ship... Once its time to get off the planet, your team can actually pick where the drop ship will land, but from a predetermined list of points on the map. So, lets say the cap points in Conquest can now be used as potential "evac points". And maybe thats where the Command Console item comes in, whoever has that can activate the evac point. Otherwise if no one has a Command Console, maybe a mech can activate the evac point by "capturing it" (that is, just stand in the point for an amount of time). Once the evac point is activated, the opposing team will be notified that that point is now the evac point and that there is a drop ship inbound in 2 minutes or so. The escaping team will have to wait it out for the drop ship to come down, while the defending team would know where to intercept the escaping mechs once the evac point is called. The escaping team could activate the evac point as they are making their way towards it so they wouldnt have to wait for the drop ship, but doing so would notify the defending team and allow the defenders to intercept. Conversely, if the escaping team activates the evac point when they are all there, they would have to wait for the drop ship to come down, leaving themselves vulnerable for an attack by the defending team. Oh, and once a mech reachs a drop ship, that mech is out of the game, and the player will go in spectator mode... or even better, take control of a PPC/AC turret on the drop ship! :(

Anyways thats just one idea I had about a game mode that would be fun for everyone. Although, the matchmaker would have to be smart enough to balance the teams by weight....

#2 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

There's a just a couple things I would add.

First the Defenders need a certain number of Re spawns and the Saboteurs would need none.
Otherwise people would load up assaults and knock out the defenders.

The other is that there would need to a be Huge variety of potential scannable objects, so the Defenders don't stick in one Hanger and scan, that would be silly.

The last thing is that the base would have be huge or need to have multiple bases, In order to make Patrolling a necessity.

I find this Play mode Potentially Extremely fun and dynamic.

Edited by Timuroslav, 21 June 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#3 daFunkyUnit

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOuterspace

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

View PostTimuroslav, on 20 June 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

There's a just a couple things I would add.

First the Defenders need a certain number of Re spawns and the Saboteurs would need none.

The other is that there would need to a be Huge variety of potential scannable objects, so the Defenders don't stick in one Hanger and scan, that would be silly.

The last thing is that the base would have be huge or need to have multiple bases, In order to make Patrolling a necessity.

I find this Play mode Potentially Extremely fun and dynamic.

Don't really necessarily need multiple respawns if the Defenders outnumber the Saboteurs.

Objects are only scannable by the Saboteurs, not by the Defenders. Therefore, the Defenders do not know what the Saboteurs are after. ;) In fact, PGI could come up with multiple different objectives that gets picked randomly each drop for the Saboteurs, while the only goal for the Defenders would be to kill all the Saboteurs. Hence the Defenders would not know what the Saboteurs are going to go or do.

And yes, agree with the map having to be huge, and multiple bases.

#4 Tice Daurus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

See...here's my take on this. I think right now...the DEV's are gearing up to where they can set to basic game modes, Assault and Conquest for free to play people.

When Community Warfare comes into play, there will be more game modes, like Solaris matches, and planned missions similar to this, like Base Defense, Escape and Evade, Protecting Transport/VIP, stuff like this so that if you want to participate in this, you have to be a Premium member or have Premium time activated. Which I wouldn't really be opposed to it, but this is my guess that's going to happen.

#5 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

No Harm, in trying to come up with an original idea, and Expand upon that.

#6 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostTimuroslav, on 20 June 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

Not if it was 2 vs 8 or 4 vs 12. Also, on the saboteur side, only light mechs would be queued.

I like the idea a lot. However, I'd change the escape: I think that saboteurs should have to wait a period of time (2 minutes or so) after completing their objective to receive the dustoff site's coordinates. At which point, another timer begins counting down until the dropship arrives (say another 2 minutes). Once the location is received, one or more saboteurs would have to make it the site and wait for the dropship to arrive. Once the dropship arrives, the saboteurs would have to make it to the dustoff site before the dropship leaves (say, another 2 minutes).

If one or more saboteurs make to the dropship, they win. They receive bonus points for each additional saboteur to escape.

#7 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Just make Sure that the Defender's don't Share the Saboteurs Timer, and then we're good!

If the Defender's saw the change in the timer, they could basically panic, and react quickly.
But, if the timer is hidden it helps the Saboteurs be more stealthy upon their exit.

#8 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Also, just to make it harder or more challenging for the saboteurs while they are waiting for the dustoff coordinates to be sent AND while they are waiting for the dropship to arrive, HQ could issue new mission objectives that need to be accomplished before they can leave the planet; such as finding other data caches, destroying ComSat stations or whatever.

If these new objectives are not completed in time, the dropship leaves without them and they lose the match.

Of course, these are just ideas, but I think with the proper balance tweaking they could make for a really fun game mode. I like the idea of "role-based" game modes like this. It would give weight classes even more purpose in this game.

#9 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

good to see outside the box thinking on these

View PostTice Daurus, on 26 June 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

When Community Warfare comes into play, there will be more game modes, like Solaris matches, and planned missions similar to this, like Base Defense, Escape and Evade, Protecting Transport/VIP, stuff like this so that if you want to participate in this, you have to be a Premium member or have Premium time activated. Which I wouldn't really be opposed to it, but this is my guess that's going to happen.

that would be awful if you had to keep premium time running just to get into CW...i doubt that will happen...if it does i will just uninstall

#10 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

A lot of F2P MMO's have "premium only" areas....it's fairly common practice. While I don't think PGI will make CW premium only...I'm still bracing for impact.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users