Balancing The Alpha Strike With A Reactive Reticle

387 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (348 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Agree with the OP's Suggestion?

1. Yes (276 votes [79.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.31%

2. No (60 votes [17.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

3. Other (Explained in Post) (12 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 jakucha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

I just say bring on the test server. Would be willing to try alternate convergence settings there.

Edited by jakucha, 25 June 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#22 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

They could even leave the aiming how it is for regular mode and do something with more in depth convergence for "Hardcore" mode to help differentiate it further beyond just having fixed first person mode.

#23 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostValore, on 25 June 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

My simplest take would be:

1. Convergence is the problem. Boating is part of BT.

2. Standing still is something that increases your risk.

3. Put some risk reward into play. Implement cone of fire which is influenced by what you're currently doing.

So if you're standing still, and moving your crosshair slowly allowing it to focus, your accuracy increases/cone of fire narrows.

When you're forced to evade enemy fire, are thick into a brawl, twisting like crazy, jumping all over the place, then your accuracy decreases/cone of fire widens.

4. It would be easy to explain this fluffwise. Mechs actually use targetting computers to hit things. When you're still and moving slowly, it has less calculations and compensations to make, hence you're more accurate. When you're not, it needs to take more variables into account, and due to technology limitations, it becomes less effective.

So many of us have advocated this. Don't know how people can think this takes away from skill and even believe the strawman 'NO RNG' argument they trot out.

From another thread. But yeah, why this isn't acceptable is beyond me.

#24 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Tweeted this post to Paul/Russ/Bryan and the official MW:O twitter for what it's worth.

I noticed they removed the radio chatter from their front page. So they might be moving away from twitter altogether.

#25 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

Anything that solves Pinpoint Alpha Warrior Online has my vote.

#26 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

I dearly hope PGI tests out this idea if they care about BattleTech combat at all.

Edited by El Bandito, 25 June 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#27 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

I really like how it could make C3 a useful tool for light 'Mechs to spot for the heavy guys in back, sort of like how LRM's need people to TAG for them.

#28 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

awww it's just like my old thread from 2 weeks ago! I thought you would name in the credits ;)

It's a great idea, hope it gets attention. If Garth is patrolling around and reads this, he might forward it to the devs (and this will probably happen given the positive reaction and well written post)

#29 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostSybreed, on 25 June 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

awww it's just like my old thread from 2 weeks ago! I thought you would name in the credits ;)

It's a great idea, hope it gets attention. If Garth is patrolling around and reads this, he might forward it to the devs (and this will probably happen given the positive reaction and well written post)

he forwarded my ideas for Beagle today, actually

#30 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostDocBach, on 25 June 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

he forwarded my ideas for Beagle today, actually

what were they?

#31 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...29#entry2435429

#32 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

found them

edit: too late hehe

Edited by Sybreed, 25 June 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#33 Unbound Inferno

• 1,168 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

@ OP - I still love the idea.

View PostTerror Teddy, on 25 June 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I would like something like this.

I would even advocate for the hated "cone of fire" in regards to convergence for when a mech is moving (which would depend on a mix of mech weight and speed.

The current x2 armour value would have to be changed though since mechs would be a lot more survivable.

Not quite true. A cone fire system would still follow the current direct-fire area and would be focusable by the pilot, not random by the system.

If you aim upper center of the mech, odds are most of the shots are hitting the CT. Double Armor might still be needed.

#34 Torban

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Sounds like a great suggestion that would also let each chassis be more unique a well as breaking the heavy alpha game play up. Where a gun is mounted should certainly matter as to where it will hit.

#35 Rahnu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

This is EXACTLY what I envisioned as a way to "fix" the game's borked convergence. Well-done!

I think this should be implemented ASAP, given priority above everything else, because, quite frankly, it would fix an untold number of problems right away.

PPC, AC/40, and Gauss rifle boats would still be OP, mind you, but at least considerably less so than they are now.

Edited by Zyrusticae, 25 June 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#36 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostZyrusticae, on 25 June 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

PPC, AC/40, and Gauss rifle boats would still be OP, mind you, but at least considerably less so than they are now.

They would be able to put out a whole lot of hurt to the enemy, and they should - they are the kings of their respective weapon classes; however with heat affecting convergence speed and weapons effective range affecting maximum convergence, high heat boats like the PPC boat would or one trick pony builds like the AC/40 boats that need to get up close wouldn't be nearly as effective for grouping damage and coring instantly like they are now.

#37 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

I support this idea, and I even enjoy that I am agreeing with the folks I sometimes respectfully disagree with! Good minds don't always have to think alike, but it is great when they do! ;)

#38 Rahnu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostDocBach, on 25 June 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

They would be able to put out a whole lot of hurt to the enemy, and they should - they are the kings of their respective weapon classes; however with heat affecting convergence speed and weapons effective range affecting maximum convergence, high heat boats like the PPC boat would or one trick pony builds like the AC/40 boats that need to get up close wouldn't be nearly as effective for grouping damage and coring instantly like they are now.

Oh, no doubt - but the problem is that PPC boats would be affected pretty much the same as large laser boats (they both produce about the same amount of heat, after accounting for the 1 second laser duration where you can't dissipate any heat), and likewise AC/40 boats are affected pretty much the same as medium lasers... At first, that is, because medium lasers generate a LOT more heat. This effectively solves the issue of pinpoint convergence, but it does not solve the issue of internal weapon imbalances. The weapons that are over-the-top now would still be over-the-top, they just can't core you in a few shots at great distances anymore.

The very nature of the game is one where someone who can deal all of their damage in a split second has a massive advantage over those who cannot. It's because of this nature that lasers are such sub-par weapons relative to the instant-damage alternatives, and I think it's something that needs to be addressed before long.

Edited by Zyrusticae, 25 June 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#39 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

On that subject something to consider if a system like this ever was in place would be to make convergence for laser weapons tighter as it is much easier to point a beam of light at something to the same spot then it is to guide a ballistic projectile all into the same spot.

#40 wolf74

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

I think Switching to a Manual Controlled Convergence point is the way to go. Yes it is Harder for Newer players but when you hit it is Truly your Skill or Dumb Luck that got the shot. I have been a Video Gamer & Battletech fan a long time. (Yes this will be about the 4th time I have posted my thoughts just not in this thread)

Con’s:
  • Harder for New Player (unless they have played a GOOD WW2 Tank sim than it will be a cake walk for them).
Pro’s:
  • Gives Pin point damage for those who wait for the right range for the shot or can make the Corrections on the fly.
  • High odds of spreading the damage around the targets.
  • Gives Classic Battletech Targeting Computer* a reason to be in the game
  • Give Pulse Lasers a Reason to be used over normal Lasers
Things I would give the players if Manual Convergence is put in:
  • +-5m auto Correction. (AKA if you target is within 5m of you Convergence point it will hit pin point).
  • CBT Target Computers* upgrades the +-5m auto-correction to +-15m.
  • Pulse Laser (Does not stack with Targeting Computers) get a +-25m auto-Correction
  • Add a Column to the score page:
    • If using the current targeting system listed the player as a Rookie Pilot
    • If using the Manual Controlled Targeting listed the player as a Mechwarrior
  • Add a boost to the Damage C-Bills (Only the Damage C-Bills) if the player is playing using the Manual Controlled system (Can only be changed in the MechLab)
*The I.S. Targeting Computer are normally not in game until 3058 but for game play reasons & New Player support I think most CBT player will over look the Date to help the Game along.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users