• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostMrDrBoi, on 27 June 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

I bought the Hunchback 4SP.

What should I upgrade?

Endo-Steel and Double Heat sinks are automatic upgrades, nab double heat sinks first you'll thank yourself later.

After that I have a couple of suggested builds -

HBK-4SP Close Range Variant (conversely you can lower the engine a bit and drop a ton of SSRM ammo to install a BAP to help with using the SSRMs against ECM lights)

and because brawlers suffer right now due to the current 'meta' heres something with a bit more reach

HBK-4SP LRM model Basically a smaller catapult with none of the bells and whistles, if you find you really enjoy lrms you can splurg to drop the TAG, reduce the lasers to small versions and upgrade the LRM with ARTEMIS IV fire control systems. (And if you REALLY want this version can support FF armor to gain another ton to keep TAG or the lasers as mediums.)

#42 Scout80913

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Something like this is what I run.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...22bb3e4b6fa876e

I got away from AMS, only because I've learned to be much more cognizant of where I am in relation to cover to get away from incoming LRM's.

For awhile I used only one ton of SRM ammo and made some adjustments to carry AMS; if you have a problem with survivability, find you're getting killed by LRMs, or are dying a lot more than you are comfortable with, you can do the same. Conversely, you could just use the one ton to max out the armor.

I only shy from SSRM's because I feel like I lose too much firepower and I don't want to trade a ton and a half to ensure I can use them. Again, though, that's just my opinion from my well-suppressed fox hole.

#43 MrDrBoi

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

How to I use the damn Hunchback 4SP.

I keep dying so damn quick. Im sticking to other team members. All weapons Im seeing are PPC,Gauss and AC20.

Isnt like Im rushing out middle of nowhere with no support. Do I just wait at base for few mins and let the real armored Mechs move in front?

Feels like I picked a crap mech.

Edited by MrDrBoi, 27 June 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#44 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

spider is not good at damage output, it is good at harassing.

#45 Jasen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostSyllogy, on 26 June 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Because it's a Spider. That's why.

We ran 8-man scrims with 8 Trial Spiders on each side last night, it took us nearly 14 minutes to kill everyone, even with calling targets.

I bet that was the most fun 14 minutes you've had in this game in months...

#46 Scout80913

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostMrDrBoi, on 27 June 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

How to I use the damn Hunchback 4SP.

I keep dying so damn quick. Im sticking to other team members. All weapons Im seeing are PPC,Gauss and AC20.

Isnt like Im rushing out middle of nowhere with no support. Do I just wait at base for few mins and let the real armored Mechs move in front?

Feels like I picked a crap mech.

In the current meta, hang out a little behind the big boys. Don't rush out into combat, as you are saying. Be patient and let the battle develop. Keep pressing 'r' and looking for targets at about 300m. As the fight develops, 9 times out of 10, it will devolve into a brawl near your effective range. At that point, you come out and engage the wounded mechs.

In the meantime, watch for lights harassing your big assault mechs, who are vulnerable to being attacked in the rear by fast movers.

#47 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

View PostMrDrBoi, on 27 June 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

Stealth.

The mech is great. Unfortunately the "meta" or "trend" right now is to abuse the heck out of the frequent high alphas of an erroneous system using rising heat threshold per heatsink, and the high convergence of instant-damage weapons realized with the ability to 'armlock' your weapons. This is a 'phase' or flavor that will hopefully fade within the next month. Much like LRM phases that have come and passed in the past.

This is a split-screen of two Hunchbacks in a Hunch-Pack of 4 Hunchbacks. I'm in a 4P (left) and Lordred is in a 4SP (right). We also have two others, one in a 4H and another player in another 4SP.

Two videos using stealth in a hunchback are below.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 27 June 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#48 Scout80913

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

Posted Image I suck at anything digital, so I struggle to link photos, let alone link a video. I just played this game and grabbed a screen of the end result for you. Left out the opponents out of respect; didn't want to chance offending anyone. I will tell you there was an Atlas, a Stalker, and a Highlander on the opposing team, all slinging big bullets, as you say. I just skulked about, made sure I only engaged mechs that were distracted, hit and run, and used the sneak about technique, similar to what Koniving showed you. So have no fear, it will work. Practice, practice, practice.

#49 Waking One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

The spider is horrible, no matter your skill level, so just avoid it really.

#50 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostWaking One, on 27 June 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

The spider is horrible, no matter your skill level, so just avoid it really.

I've seen a few players do ridiculous things in a Spider.

They certainly are not "good" but in the right hands, they are not to be dismissed.

My hands are not the right hands :huh:

#51 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

I've been piloting a Hunch 4P for a little while off and on. It'll be my next mech to master after I'm done with the Jenners, and I've kind of been switching back and forth for now. So right now I only have about 50 matches down with it. The first thing you must do is get DHS's. They are vital. That is one hot running mech stock. It's still easy to overheat even with DHS's, but if you manage your weapons groups, it's doable.

The second thing is you must run with your assaults, or heavies if no assaults on your team (rare). I'll usually tell whichever assault I've picked in chat that I'm going to run with them. Something like "Hey Atlas, I've got your back" or similar. Then, hopefully that assault pilot knows not to run out and do anything stupid, like run straight into the enemy line, etc. If he does, he'll get you both killed.

But stay with that assault. Shoot at same mech they shoot at. If another enemy mech moves in from flank and starts pounding your assault, switch over and give them some grief. Try not to get too hot. Shutting down from heat is never good, even in an assault mech, but it's a death sentence in a Hunchback.

I have a 4 button mouse (now), and have button 1 for 1 single ERPPC, 2 fires 4 ML's, 3 fires 3 ML's, and 4 fires all weapons (full alpha strike). I use the ERPPC to ping long range snipers and LRM boats, mostly just to harass and keep them down to help our approach. The 4 ML's strike is for close up hits when I'm not close to overheating. The 3 ML's strike is for when I'm hot, near shutdown, as the weapon cycle times well with the cooling rate of my DHS's. The full alpha strike is good for turning that light mech inside out that ran up and started pinging my assault buddy. Have to be very careful with heat with that one though.

Watch out for enemy light mechs. They can be a real hassle (if they know what they're doing) to your assault. One or two well placed alpha's from your Hunchback will turn any light mech into a flaming crater.

The standard 200 engine is slow. It's up to you if that is an issue or not. I haven't upgraded mine, since I can still keep up with my assault mechs that I'm shadowing. If you see your Hunch in a different role, you may want to upgrade your engine.

I would personally recommend running AMS on your Hunch. They are not very fast at all, and if you start getting hammered by LRM's, it will buy you a little more time while you get to cover.

#52 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

First things first. 1 mech is rarely the reason you lose a match.

When I first started I did not win a single match until my 7th. Piloting lights is very difficult on new players as lights usually shouldn't be on the front line much. However I would recommend first watching all the tutorial videos provided right here http://mwomercs.com/...raining-grounds

After that go with either the Hunchback trial mech or the Cataphract. Those two are by far the best of the trials right now.

Here's also a thread that you should pay attention to, the guy tests all trial mechs and figures out ways to use them properly. It could help you a lot in your early career.
http://mwomercs.com/...ng-trial-mechs/

Also, save your cadet bonus, which is available for your first 25 matches (or was it 25 wins?) it will total up to 9+million C-Bills.

Once you do your research on which mech to by first, based on your play style more than anything else. Then use that money to buy it and customize it a bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users