Screw The Timeline ?!

57 replies to this topic

Poll: Screw the Timeline? (162 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI screw the Timeline to lower the pressure?

1. Yes, screw it. (81 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, keep it. (63 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. Which year was it alrdy? (18 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Henry Pride

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 425 posts
  • LocationWorms, Germany

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

Okay, here we go again.
Timeline, to me as a BT Fan is indeed a big Issue. We do have 6.27.3050, but something in here is missing completely.. the Clans. Nothing in the news, not a small hint of them, nothing.

Due to the fact, that keeping the timeline as accurate as possible i would say.. screw it. Timeline is in first case something for fluff, to create some sort of imagination and depth into this game. But there actually is no community warfare, no planets to defend, at least no clans to be shot by. So why not stop this, reset the clock and give it a go, when the game is released?

As Russ mentioned yesterday in the NGNG Podcast, keeping the timeline creates a lot of pressure, that shouldnt be there. Pressure means stress, stress means mistakes in creating this beautiful game.

From my personal opinion i wouldnt mind if PGI just stops the clock, set it back to 3049 (even if we all alrdy have this cute litte 3050 turning in our cockpits) and give all of the Devs some air to breathe and to work on with less stress...

Whats about you guys, the rest of the community? Keep it, stick to this timeline, or screw it, reset the clock?

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

Resetting the timeline only makes it all that more stressful: "We must have at least 4 mechs and Clans completely ready by X date or the community is going to skin us alive!"

Besides, think of our Rasalhaguian brothers...

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

I wouldn't mind if they throw the time line concept out of the window.... want to play MW in the 3070s

#4 Henry Pride

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 425 posts
  • LocationWorms, Germany

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

Pls no Darkage... ^^

#5 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

I have no problem rolling the clock back one year. I like the level of tech in the game right now...

#6 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostHenry Pride, on 26 June 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Pls no Darkage... ^^

Who talks about DarkAge...
I talk about cyborgs....

No serious - i really would have different servers with different time lines ... would be great to fight in the 3rd or 4th Succession Wars - or in the 1st Succession Wars - with Star league tech - against the flashing of barbarism in the whole inner sphere.
or be at the side of Alexander Kerenksky storming Terra.
Or the war of 39 when first Star League Tech is in prototyp state available....

Civil War or the humanitys darkes hours - although i think that its darker in 3145 as in 3070. Become part of Zeta - fighting against all odds - till the last drop of blood.

There are so many great time lines - events in BattleTech - the Clan Invasion is simple boring mainstream :)

Edited by Karl Streiger, 27 June 2013 - 12:49 AM.

#7 Borengar629

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 305 posts
  • Location3rd rock next to sun

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

As we would be pretty much in the middle of the 4th wave already and nothing happend til now I started to consider this whole "timeline" thing more from a JJ Abrams perspective.
You know, new designs, sorta new timeline that basically only uses the names of people and locations but has not much else in common.
Oldies like us may feel screwed but all the new audiance is properly introduced to the topic. We who even try to discuss that matter are a species about to be extinct I guess. I mean what is this poll about? Timeline is as screwed as it gets. There's no going back and certainly no correcting it from now on. So I think we gotta deal with it the Star Trek way.
So fellows kill long and prosper it is.

#8 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

Russ said yesterday that the timeline is now only considered fluff, and not something that the game development hinges on.

#9 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 27 June 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

Who talks about DarkAge...
I talk about cyborgs....

No serious - i really would have different servers with different time lines ... would be great to fight in the 3rd or 4th Succession Wars - or in the 1st Succession Wars - with Star league tech - against the flashing of barbarism in the whole inner sphere.
or be at the side of Alexander Kerenksky storming Terra.
Or the war of 39 when first Star League Tech is in prototyp state available....

Civil War or the humanitys darkes hours - although i think that its darker in 3145 as in 3070. Become part of Zeta - fighting against all odds - till the last drop of blood.

There are so many great time lines - events in BattleTech - the Clan Invasion is simple boring mainstream :P

Yeah, have to agree. All the fun stuff happens in the IS. A Jihad timeline would be epic, because there's nothing like atomizing the Manei Domini! >:D

#10 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostSyllogy, on 27 June 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Russ said yesterday that the timeline is now only considered fluff, and not something that the game development hinges on.

Might I ask for a source, possibly with a quote attached?

#11 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostSyllogy, on 27 June 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Interesting - if so - where is my HPPC - where is my Plasma Rifle and where is my Improved Heavy Gauss -- want have ASAP

View PostAdridos, on 27 June 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

#12 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostAdridos, on 27 June 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

http://www.nogutsnog...et/podcasts.php

Podcast #79. Once it get posted you can listen yourself. It's in audio, so no quotable text.

Until it gets posted, see the OP for support:

View PostHenry Pride, on 26 June 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

As Russ mentioned yesterday in the NGNG Podcast, keeping the timeline creates a lot of pressure, that shouldnt be there. Pressure means stress, stress means mistakes in creating this beautiful game.

Edited by Syllogy, 27 June 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#13 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

Just want a good game and am not interested in some imaginary timline. Not to offend the true beleivers but I would venture to guess the majority playing don't really care one way or another.

#14 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

As long as the priority stays making CW and game balance, the clans can wait another year as far as I care. CW, balance and collisons need to be in fully by December though and CW needs to be mostly done by Sept if this game is going to survive.

#15 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

I honestly hope they go to, at some point, something like "Era" match queues - join the 3025 queue, 3032, 3048/49, 3050+ (Clans), etc.

Limit mechs and equipment in each queue to stuff available at that time.

We can't really "live through the clan invasion" with the pure PVP, short match gameplay of MWO in any enjoyable fashion. Community Warfare might let us at least have a reason to fight or whatever.

#16 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Seems like a lot of liberties have been taken with the time line already.

I'd prefer that they put the time line on pause for now, then resumed at launch.

#17 Blair

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

I never thought the "ingame day = real-life day" was a good idea. Game development is just too unpredictable to put yourself on that kind of a treadmill. They're better off just stopping the clock, and update the "date" with each major release. That way, if they want to jump ahead at some point, they can, rather than waiting years for the tech to become 'available'.

#18 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostHenry Pride, on 26 June 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Pls no Darkage... ^^

You mean 3067?

By god, I will have my Jenner 10-X or an AWS-10KM or the Celestial Omni-Mech Series. Word of Blake Jihad, raaa!

#19 ThirdStrongest

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'd be happier if they abandoned the whole timeline schtick altogether and just focused on building the game and putting out balanced, well designed mechs for use in their first person robot game. Yes I realize there are diehard BattleTech fans who drool over the books and read published mech statlines in bed, but all that is starting to get in the way of designing a good game. Look at the new locust. Its a completely trash mech because of their slavish adherence to stats published in badly balanced books from the 80s that were meant for an entirely different play style. It looks pretty good, so obviously a lot of design time went into it, but the hardpoints are garbage. PGI needs to ditch the timeline and the 80s design constraints and make more mechs suitable for play in MechWarrior Online.

#20 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostThirdStrongest, on 27 June 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I'd be happier if they abandoned the whole timeline schtick altogether and just focused on building the game and putting out balanced, well designed mechs for use in their first person robot game. Yes I realize there are diehard BattleTech fans who drool over the books and read published mech statlines in bed, but all that is starting to get in the way of designing a good game. Look at the new locust. Its a completely trash mech because of their slavish adherence to stats published in badly balanced books from the 80s that were meant for an entirely different play style. It looks pretty good, so obviously a lot of design time went into it, but the hardpoints are garbage. PGI needs to ditch the timeline and the 80s design constraints and make more mechs suitable for play in MechWarrior Online.

I don't consider myself to be a "diehard" BT canon purist because I believe that game balance trumps canon (especially when we're talking about a video game vs. a TT game), but I also think they need to stick the the time line and canon whenever possible. Changing crap "because 80's" isn't a good enough reason. Otherwise they might as well call it Mecha Blaster or something else equally stupid.

So, as far as hardpoints go, if they are going to use variants that existed in TT (like the LCT 1-V) they need to use the hardpoints from those variants. It wouldn't make sense to offer the LCT-1V with different hardpoints. If they changed the hardpoints they might as well change the variant ID as well. And if they did that, then it would defeat the point of offering the classic unseen/reseen mechs.

Also, they're Battlemechs, not robots. :rolleyes:

*gah*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users