Screw The Timeline ?!

57 replies to this topic

Poll: Screw the Timeline? (162 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI screw the Timeline to lower the pressure?

1. Yes, screw it. (81 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, keep it. (63 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. Which year was it alrdy? (18 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Nice to know that PGI in form of the inner sphere news already screwed their own timeline.
Waco Rangers - Coventry?

Ups really stupid mistake or with reason?

When they had proper lore knowledge they would have choosen Hanse Davion as notable pilot smashing a company of 'look like' death commandos on new avalon single handed.

#22 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm not a big battletech lore guy, but I still would like some sort of over-arching story within the game. I want events to take place that have an impact on the games I play.

PGI could create weekend events like we have now and place them in the context of the battletech story. Then players who wish to participate can opt in and play with whatever restrictions make sense for some important event in the lore. You could even create your own lore to give players the ability to have a real impact on the story.

#23 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Roll it back a year? Nuts to that, roll it back more, waaaaaaaay back. Let us duke it out in IndustrialMechs before BattleMechs were born. Work zone disagreements! Union clashes! Drunken worker brawls...in mechs! Big saws and drills!

Myes.

Edited by Gralzeim, 28 June 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#24 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

Actually I am fine either way, but if it means I can have my Omega then ditch it until the main release.

.Posted Image

#25 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostSyllogy, on 27 June 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Russ said yesterday that the timeline is now only considered fluff, and not something that the game development hinges on.

i would backpedal too if i had missed deadline after deadline...

this pressure was created by them... "you make your bed, that's where you lie"

#26 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

i myself don't care if they throw out the timeline, I just like playing. I worry though that if they do, that too many people would complain saying "PGI didn't keep their promise." Anyhow, quality is most important for me, I don't mind waiting for the best.

#27 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

I voted to keep it, because you don't have to have it in game for the timeline to be current.

None of us are going to be playing major characters from the fiction. We aren't going to be fighting in pivotal battles from the timeline anyway. Our greatest involvement as far as we know will start at the lowest of the low house soldiers on planets faraway from the front.

There is absolutely no reason to ditch the timeline. Instead they should be using it to generate attention for the game. Publish essays, articles, news from the front. Treat us like the citizens of the great houses and run opinion pieces, news reports and leaked footage of clans mechs etc. Some CGI in a Blair witch style "leaked" to YouTube, some grainy "Bigfoot" photos from the occupation zone. Whatever!

They have / had a golden opportunity to get the player base invested into the battletech universe with little outlay other than a writer / community involvement. It's almost past the point of relevancy though.

Hell, contact some of the old Battletech authors and ask if they want to contribute (legalities aside).

There is still time to do this right and get a new generation of gamers invested into the rich story that exists, beyond simply rushing in and firing your lasers.

Edited by Arcturious, 30 June 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#28 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

This isn't a bad idea, and I wouldn't object to it, given that we'd get some tech that should have been available around this time but which we don't have access to yet in-game...

Alternatively, they could say there was a massive shift in the time-space continuum due to Superman Prime pounding on reality while the Invisible Woman and Wolverine travel back in time.... resulting in a universe where the Inner Sphere has all the different armor types, Rotary autocannons, Blue Shield technology, and every mech comes with at least one of these: http://www.sarna.net...y:Melee_Weapons

Also I would **** my pants in joy if they took us out to the periphery and we had to make due with ghettotech :).

#29 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostGralzeim, on 28 June 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Roll it back a year? Nuts to that, roll it back more, waaaaaaaay back. Let us duke it out in IndustrialMechs before BattleMechs were born. Work zone disagreements! Union clashes! Drunken worker brawls...in mechs! Big saws and drills!

Myes.

Posted Image
OBVIOUSLY the BEST MECH EVER..... :)

Actually, this would make a great April fools joke next year.

Edited by Timuroslav, 30 June 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#30 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

screw the timeline. give us era play options.

do you miss the low-tech 3025 where there are no DHS, Pulse Lasers, and XL Engines? that's fun

how about the clan invasion?

how about the emerging technology era of the War of '39?

the dark age was pretty spiffy too coz I like chainsaws on my agro-mech jamming it to ya where the sun don't shine.

if implemented right, we can play this game forever and features would be limitless

Edited by Colonel Jaime Wolf, 04 August 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#31 Grey Rabbit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostColonel Jaime Wolf, on 04 August 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

screw the timeline. give us era play options.

do you miss the low-tech 3025 where there are no DHS, Pulse Lasers, and XL Engines? that's fun

how about the clan invasion?

how about the emerging technology era of the War of '39?

the dark age was pretty spiffy too coz I like chainsaws on my agro-mech jamming it to ya where the sun don't shine.

if implemented right, we can play this game forever and features would be limitless

I was sort of thinking about this the other day...

If they worked on it one era at a time, they could just start at the beginning by adding mechs and weapons. This equipment would carry over to the next era, and then just add more weapons and mechs and so on. The big problem would be the art department would have to rotate through which era and weight class every month, making mechs and pushing them out. The later eras would be fine, but the earlier the era, the less they would get, mech-wise.

It would be cool to be able to pick which timeline you would want to participate in, though. I'm not one for Dark Age, but for some reason I like the Tundra Wolf. I don't care that it looks like a window A/C with limbs and guns. That and the Agro-mech MOD with the RAC are kind of cool looking. I imagine some bored farmers turning on their lights at night and using it to mow down the rats that run for cover.

On topic... As far as the devs keeping the timeline, my guts are telling me that they weren't expecting to have to sift through so much of someone else's code(Cry Engine) to fix so many problems and then find fixes and workarounds, like the HUD problem, etc. It happens.

-Rabbit

#32 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

the only downside would be the danger of splitting the player base. still, the different eras are a big part of enjoying the Battletech Universe. its huge man

#33 Boyinleaves

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

Don't care about a holistic timeline, unless the game becomes ridiculously meta regarding the ongoing shape of the IS.

Do care if they actually implement limited timeline modes, scenarios, maps, campaigns or CW options, because that would be awesomesauce.

#34 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

Keep the timeline.
Not doing so would create endless bickering on the forum to introduce these and those Dark-Age-technologies. And there are way funnier ways to waste our and the devs' time.

#35 Antasius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

If we could just get Spock to go back in time ... one more time. :)

#36 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Look, I am almost certain PGI is just going to push back the timeline to pre-Clan invasion, then move it forward when things are ready.

#37 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostZyllos, on 08 October 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Look, I am almost certain PGI is just going to push back the timeline to pre-Clan invasion, then move it forward when things are ready.

I hope - not - don't forget the 1 year break after the ill kahn was stackpoled - with the second invasion - more IS units had allready got upgrade kits - so that there is no logical inconsequences for using Gauss an ER-PPCs when facing the first clan kidos.

#38 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

I don't see the timeline as being all that necessary. But I don't have any sentimental value in it either.

#39 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 08 October 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

I hope - not - don't forget the 1 year break after the ill kahn was stackpoled ...

uh, the Falcon Guard got Stackpoled in the Great Gash by Kai doing that "killer of men" speech. You know, ejecting and then blowing up the mech's nuclear reactor... That kind of Stackpoled.

Leo Showers got nailed kamikaze style by that hot pilot chick Tyra Miraborg. Poor Phelan. (funny how most IS heroes are kinda emo till they figure out what their place in the universe. sheesh)

/offnitpick

Edited by Colonel Jaime Wolf, 09 October 2013 - 12:28 AM.

#40 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

View PostColonel Jaime Wolf, on 09 October 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

That kind of Stackpoled.

exactly...

when you want to see a unit go down in a blaze of glory you have to read from Thomass Greesmann....no stupid stormtrooper enemys...but that kind of enemy that is really able to kill your heros.

(Considering your name - you have to look into the BattleCorps Anthologys 3 and 4 - great storys about the Last Days of Zeta, the survival at resque of the last Dragoons from Outreach... oh and you have to read Hector...on of the view defeats of the Dragoons (without support on Hesperus II they made the impossible possible)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users