Screw The Timeline ?!

57 replies to this topic

Poll: Screw the Timeline? (162 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI screw the Timeline to lower the pressure?

1. Yes, screw it. (81 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, keep it. (63 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. Which year was it alrdy? (18 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

View PostHenry Pride, on 26 June 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

Okay, here we go again.
Timeline, to me as a BT Fan is indeed a big Issue. We do have 6.27.3050, but something in here is missing completely.. the Clans. Nothing in the news, not a small hint of them, nothing.

Due to the fact, that keeping the timeline as accurate as possible i would say.. screw it. Timeline is in first case something for fluff, to create some sort of imagination and depth into this game. But there actually is no community warfare, no planets to defend, at least no clans to be shot by. So why not stop this, reset the clock and give it a go, when the game is released?

As Russ mentioned yesterday in the NGNG Podcast, keeping the timeline creates a lot of pressure, that shouldnt be there. Pressure means stress, stress means mistakes in creating this beautiful game.

From my personal opinion i wouldnt mind if PGI just stops the clock, set it back to 3049 (even if we all alrdy have this cute litte 3050 turning in our cockpits) and give all of the Devs some air to breathe and to work on with less stress...

Whats about you guys, the rest of the community? Keep it, stick to this timeline, or screw it, reset the clock?

Nahh BrO I wantss maa T-Wolf.

#42 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:35 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 09 October 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

exactly...

when you want to see a unit go down in a blaze of glory you have to read from Thomass Greesmann....no stupid stormtrooper enemys...but that kind of enemy that is really able to kill your heros.

(Considering your name - you have to look into the BattleCorps Anthologys 3 and 4 - great storys about the Last Days of Zeta, the survival at resque of the last Dragoons from Outreach... oh and you have to read Hector...on of the view defeats of the Dragoons (without support on Hesperus II they made the impossible possible)

Danke!

I love to read as much fiction as I could, and a BattleCorps subscription is getting more attractive. It gets me into the mood to plan MW:O anyway.

-------------

for collectible card or miniatures games, a timeline is a reason to churn out new content. if done right we'll never get bored. if done wrong, it will become pay-to-win.

------------

and gimme a Timby and my Archer. lol

Edited by Colonel Jaime Wolf, 09 October 2013 - 01:36 AM.

#43 Fabian Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

Yes reset tme line go back to 3025 and let us play 4th succession war in CW

#44 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

They should just reset it to 3049 or 50 when CW launches

#45 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:26 AM

View PostHenry Pride, on 26 June 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

Whats about you guys, the rest of the community? Keep it, stick to this timeline, or screw it, reset the clock?

Nearly four months passed since this was written. I wasn't around back then, but now i am. I say, put the clock away for now; don't reset it, don't screw it, don't stick to it - just put it on a shelf for now, and forget about it - for now. Next, create and implement all the features MWO needs for the clock to have the meaning which was originally intended for the clock in MWO to have. Does not matter how long implementing of all such elements will need - half a year, year, few years, - do it, and keep the clock outta our (and PGI's) minds. Once we do have planets, clans, community warfare and all other elements which are needed for the clock to be realiably meaningful for more than a few months, - THEN take the clock outta shelf, THEN decide what to do with it, - from which point to restart it, how fast it'll be ticking, etc. Because only then you (we, PGI, whatever) would have the best idea what exactly we want to do with the clock - because now we don't know how all the related (important) features are going to be. Not precisely, at least.

Good question, man. I hope my answer has some sense.

P.S. Sadly, the poll doesn't have any option i feel i completely agree with, though.

#46 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

I voted for screwing the timeline. IMO they should implement every equipment, mechs etc.as they like or when it is "ready for publication". The player base is large enough, so that mechs and equipment from different times can fight eachother without balancing problems. Or if you have to balance it, make newer items more expensive in c-bills for example. For me it is more important to have a nice game with a options, not with some uncomprehensible and already screwed time line issues.

Edited by fandre, 25 October 2013 - 03:57 AM.

#47 Antasius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

It concerns me that more people here want to change two decades + of Battletech fantasy writing then there are those left here that are for it.

My guess is you lost a big chunk of the diehards to 3rd person view and consumables... They just went away.

If you want to bring any of the diehards back, please PGI don't change the timeline, just figure out some other way to make this all work.

#48 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

View PostAntasius, on 29 October 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

It concerns me that more people here want to change two decades + of Battletech fantasy writing then there are those left here that are for it.

My guess is you lost a big chunk of the diehards to 3rd person view and consumables... They just went away.

If you want to bring any of the diehards back, please PGI don't change the timeline, just figure out some other way to make this all work.

Give me the known horrors of the 3rd Succession War or rather the failed fight to enlighten mankind during the horrors that are brought by the Succession Lords and Clans to the Inner Sphere during the 70's

#49 Ancient Demise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 189 posts
  • LocationMechWarrior: Living Legends

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:37 AM

We have angel ecm and coolant pods before they existed in the timeline. We almost have HAGs in the form of the clan autocannons. Screw it. Defenestrate the whole timeline!
Give me my blood asp, heavy lasers, and ATMs!

Honestly I would prefer them to develop all these different tech systems simultaneously, as they would turn out much more balanced than their "one thing at a time" system they currently have.

And the Eras idea is great!

Give us historical battles too!

Edited by Ancient Demise, 16 June 2014 - 05:38 AM.

#50 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:58 AM

View PostAncient Demise, on 16 June 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

Honestly I would prefer them to develop all these different tech systems simultaneously, as they would turn out much more balanced than their "one thing at a time" system they currently have.

Exactly....

whine and crys -> the LRMs are so op (or the ELRMs, ATMs.....) - hey why don't you take reactive armor
whine and crys -> the PPCs are so op (or Heavy Lazors) - hey why don't you take reflective armor
whine and crys -> the AP rounds of the AC are so OP - > hey why don't you take the ballistic reinforced armor
for every armor or weapon there is almost something that negates that effect in 3145 - the only weapons hardly effected by this are the Gauss Rifles - and they can explode - and have few ammunition.

#51 Nova Latios Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 606 posts
  • LocationAnother Galaxy

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:42 AM

Move it up to the 3000s We want raptor 2s and utzlas, word of blake and republic of the shpear!

#52 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

I voted "yes screw it" because while I do enjoy what parts of the battletech lore I do know and used to remember. I see MWO as a chance to create new events and stories that still fit into the origins of the battletech universe.

That along with the fact that some of the people who are making were involved with MW before this title, gives good chance that anything new will share a similar style to the original timeline. In the sense that it would not seem like a surrogate party making stuff up for a title they know nothing about.

All in all I think MWO content would be in good position to create new content and events for as long as the elements stay within certain bounds.

#53 Ansgar Odinson

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

I am for putting the shelf on the clock until community warfare is out then pulling the clock back out. Don't "screw" the timeline. I could play lots of online deathmatch games. I could play WoT, WoWP, Titanfall, the list is endless. I play MWO because of the BT timeline. I play it to attempt to immerse myself in the world of MW/BT. The closer they can stick to the source material the better. If they wipe the timeline out entirely Ill probably stop playing. That and I like the gritty, stompy, rusty death machines of the era we are currently playing in. I know a lot of people want the super tech of later eras but I really don't have any desire to play in that more polished and tech forward era.

#54 Helliouse

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCanada, Western parts (AB)

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

I personally like the idea of CW having different timelines to choose from. That way we can play through all these great wars I keep seeing people post about.

#55 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

I like the idea, but I would like to see more mechs. There are tons of mech in tro 2750-3025-3050.
Basically we are seeing quite always the same famous mechs since mw2......

#56 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:18 AM

More power creep and bad over weaponised mechs online

No thanks.

I think the game should have been set start of the fourth succession wars and built up to clans, I accepted 3050 with regrets as the game gradually became lotz of gunz mentality of a five year old from 3050 onwards, I have no desire to support the game if its going to make big jumps in the time line, year here year there for variants maybe, but not the kind of 5 year leaps people seem to want..

#57 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:26 AM

At this point, the only thing the timeline actually does is restrict the availability of Mechs and weapons.

Let's timeskip at the very least!

#58 Ashvins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 16 June 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

Give me the known horrors of the 3rd Succession War or rather the failed fight to enlighten mankind during the horrors that are brought by the Succession Lords and Clans to the Inner Sphere during the 70's

Way to bring back a dead thread, why don't you go find something from 2012 now and bring that back up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users