24 replies to this topic

#21 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

Maybe a bit offtopic. Being only familiar with the MW PC games and never liked the Marauder when you compare it to other mechs, I do see similarities with the 100ton Behemoth/stone rhino which I do like (I mean: how cool is it to mount a railgun and be that huge?). Is the Marauder a predecessor of the Behemoth or is the kinda similar look a coincidence?

#22 Arrtax

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationStuttgart, Germany

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

The Marauder is one of the original Battletech mechs, but the design was "borrowed" from Robotech/Macross (I'm not very familiar with that, sorry, if no details), like the other "Unseen" Mechs. Designwise I would say the Stone Rhino is definitely an offspring of the Marauder, but probably not according to official lore. There is a 100ton Marauder II and a Clan variant (Marauder IIC) as well. They both look very similar to the original Marauder and are both "Unseen" as well.

I'm sure you find more info here: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

#23 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostRadioKies, on 06 July 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

Maybe a bit offtopic. Being only familiar with the MW PC games and never liked the Marauder when you compare it to other mechs, I do see similarities with the 100ton Behemoth/stone rhino which I do like (I mean: how cool is it to mount a railgun and be that huge?). Is the Marauder a predecessor of the Behemoth or is the kinda similar look a coincidence?

In reality:
The two designs were created by two separate companies - the Marauder is based on the "Roiquonmi Glaug Battle Pod" created by a company called Studio Nue for The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (the footage of which was used by Harmony Gold for the first third of Robotech's 85 episodes) while the Behemoth/Stone Rhino is based on artwork created by a second company called Victor Musical Industries (which has since changed its name to Victor Entertainment), apparently for BattleTech - for which they had also created other artwork (see below).
Posted Image
(Though, it should be noted that some sources also point to the Viggers/Centinental HWR-00 Monster Mk II Destroid from Macross as at least a partial inspiration for the Behemoth.)

In-universe:
The Marauder was developed by General Motors in the FedSuns in 2612 (with the debut of the MAD-1R), while the Behemoth was developed by Clan Smoke Jaguar in 2847 and based on a (retconned) superheavy (110-ton) design from 2775 called the Matar, developed by the Amaris Arms Corporation.
By contrast, the 100-ton Marauder II (not to be confused with the 85-ton, Clan-built Marauder IIC) was developed in 3012 as a joint project between General Motors (creators of the original 75-ton Marauder) and Blackwell Industries.

While they are part of the same franchise from a BT perspective & there exist some aesthetic similarities between the two, the Marauder and the Behemoth are not related to one another.

#24 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostDasFreshMaker, on 03 July 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Damn. Ah well. Appreciate the info ;)

Bandai made the kit. They are out there, but have a fat wallet. They are not in production anymore.

#25 TanE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 757 posts
  • LocationIn investigation of the Ghostbear Dominion

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

Rise, my fellow zombiethread!

I'm not sure: How is the hitzone implemented in MWO for teh autocannon? - Oh damn, I can't see it! :lol:

Very nice paintjob Arrtax!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users