Kgc-000 King Crab. (Kaiju Better Start Running!)

197 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

The KCG-000 King Crab.

Area Denial. Body Guard. Fear Incarnate.

All that, and some really crappy nonsensical art. But despite that, something about it's basic shape appeals to a lot of people. Flying Debris did an interesting take, which, TBH, was the first "acceptable" KGC I had seen done. That said, and with due respect, it's a heavy black ink blob, with a bunch of scifi bolt-ons. It looks cool, but not "functional" or practical, in fact it kinda makes me think of something from a 50s Sci-Fi film (which is a good thing....IMO)

THE FINAL PRODUCT (as rendered by Kiriage~San!!! Domo arigato,Yūjin!!!!)
Posted Image
Posted Image
So today, I had a couple of ideas bouncing around, and decided to put pen to paper. The result:
Posted Image

The reasoning:

In all, the KGC-000 is a flat, very short, but wide Assault Mech. It is meant to find a sheltered location, and control it, denying it from enemy use. So my goal was to make a mech that was more realistically scaled than most PGI units. The Atlas is approx. 17-18 meters tall, this unit is meant to me approximately 13 meters tall, or about 11.5m without the missile launchers and AMS.

ARMS/CLAWS:
The "claws" were really nothing more than armored sheaths to protect the AC20s, and allow the Crab to punch if need be without harming it's main guns. The TRO art has horribly spindly arms which make no sense. Since in MW:O they do not allow fro split crits, and since the "hands" are not really manipulative, I decided to follow the style used on the gun arm of the Centurion. They are massive to evoke power, but also because they house the bulkiest weapons in MW:O. And it allows them to shield the torso.

LEGS:
The TRO art quite simply would be so grossly unbalanced it would plow it's face in the ground and stay there. Also, in MWO, everything gets a "waist" turret, so that torso twist is possible. On Alex's concept, I felt that made the KGC-000 too tall. The Legs are still a little spindly, but that is intentional, as the armor on them is a little light. The Torso and arm design should draw most of the fire, so leaving them light would reduce drive weight and improve locomotion.

TORSOS:
The Center Torso is relatively small, and armored by not only the Side Torsos, but the massive arms. The role of a KGC makes using an XL a dicey proposition, so using those arms and torsos as armor for the core systems, IMO, makes more sense. The two massive front plates, or "mandibles" are Side Torso armor further protecting the CT. The Side Torsos are a little wide, but relatively flat, and protected by the arms. An XL "Command" Mech would be possible, but one would need to stick to the sniper role.

concept sketch showing full torso and arm detail:
Posted Image

Thoughts?

and for the HitBox Parade
Posted Image

bang.

and for the truly RPG nerdy.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

and a couple other colored concepts........
Posted Image

hunch-less
Posted Image

personally, I prefer the hunch, as it breaks up the monotony of the carapace. And seems to work well with the head, IMO. *shrugs* Either way, we now have it BOTH ways. Enjoy!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 16 October 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#2 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
Spot on

#3 xXxBANExXx

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

I would love to see this in game. Seriously. Wee need some things to get excited about and break the monotany. That sketch shows how cool that mech could be with the right treatment. Love it.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostxXxBANExXx, on 18 July 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

I would love to see this in game. Seriously. Wee need some things to get excited about and break the monotany. That sketch shows how cool that mech could be with the right treatment. Love it.

also, I know that PGI likes reusable modeling assets, which if you look closely, most of the unit is built off mods of existing CGI assets. Legs are from the Stalker/Arm, the Centurion/ Cockpit, the Cicada / Basic torso a blend of Cicada and Awesome.

#5 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

I'd pilot it. Nice updated look.

#6 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'd fear one of those so much more than an Atlas (seeing those old glowing red eyes coming out of the cave on Forest Colony made me wet my pants).

Love it.

PGI should really try to take advantage of such an iconic 'mech, that I'm sure many people would want in the game over a lot of other 'mechs. Another 100 tonner too, so we've got a bit more choice. Next Assault with the Orion bundle of 'mechs please?

Edited by GizmoGecko, 18 July 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#7 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

I like it. It makes me think of the King Crab, Stone Rhino/Behemoth (no top gun), and the Omega (no top guns) all of which seem like they could do nasty things to you.

The claws are really neat, reminds me of the Dark Age miniature, but better. http://www.sarna.net...le:MWWS_111.jpg

From a balance perspective I think the CT would have to be bigger. As is I can see this mech running (somewhat slowly) with no weapons because the side torsos and arms were blown off by people trying to hit the CT. Doesn't seem like a very useful situation to be in.

I'd definitely give the King Crab a try if PGI released it.

#8 BrokenDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMiddlesex(UK)

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Like it! Cockpit colour does give it a bit of a kissy lip look, but that could just be me after a long day. . . . . . (inward shudder. . . kissing a King Crab) Bishop: Good work! looks like a killer!

#9 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Love the claws! Very cool and yes, a real functional design. Great work Bishop

#10 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

wow looks cool! do crab

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostHebdomas, on 18 July 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

I like it. It makes me think of the King Crab, Stone Rhino/Behemoth (no top gun), and the Omega (no top guns) all of which seem like they could do nasty things to you.

The claws are really neat, reminds me of the Dark Age miniature, but better. http://www.sarna.net...le:MWWS_111.jpg

From a balance perspective I think the CT would have to be bigger. As is I can see this mech running (somewhat slowly) with no weapons because the side torsos and arms were blown off by people trying to hit the CT. Doesn't seem like a very useful situation to be in.

I'd definitely give the King Crab a try if PGI released it.

well, I'd point out you gotta blow off BOTH side torsos/arms to accomplish that. Considering the amount of armor on a 100 ton behemoth, and the amount of hurt 1/2 of the mech could still ladle out on someone trying to claim the other half, I would say it's much like the Stalker in that regard....just tougher and even nastier.

#12 Lagfest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn a Mech

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Not a big assault fan, but def would pilot that.

as if AC40 Jagers weren't enough. lol

#13 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Bishop, what did you use to do the TRO mock up? Its in a really nice format, did that come from a mech construction program or did you put it together by hand?

#14 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 18 July 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Bishop, what did you use to do the TRO mock up? Its in a really nice format, did that come from a mech construction program or did you put it together by hand?

I'm not 100% sure, but the thing has a Remlab watermark on it, so I think he did it through that one.

#15 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

If you and Foxdie made a baby... Would the baby be abled to paint mwo-ish as foxdie and as heavy and badass as Bishop Steiner? Please, seriously consider this!

#16 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

hey, Bishop Steiner. With all the amazing art work and design sketches you are doing, you should go work on developing the game. You should get paid for producing things at this level of awesomeness. ;)

#17 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

The two lower torso plates are perfect - they do an even better job than the arms in making it crab like. The arms also look like they would have huge hit boxes, which would be great for making them a target and even better for protecting those side torsos, and they are mounted reasonably close to the cockpit, so they would not suffer from the cataphract foot cannon syndrome. I fear your picture. Amazing!

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostAdridos, on 18 July 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

I'm not 100% sure, but the thing has a Remlab watermark on it, so I think he did it through that one.

love me that site.

View PostIqfishLP, on 18 July 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

If you and Foxdie made a baby... Would the baby be abled to paint mwo-ish as foxdie and as heavy and badass as Bishop Steiner? Please, seriously consider this!

I'm perfectly happy and willing to team up with any of the amazing artists on here. I am mostly a concept guy, I don't come close to the ability of some, like TGXarbala to do "finish" work. Would love to work with any of our modelers, especially, since 3D is fascinating.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

and bump for added sketch work

#20 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Awesome-sauce! And I never really liked the King Crab.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users