Kgc-000 King Crab. (Kaiju Better Start Running!)

197 replies to this topic

#41 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

View Postdal10, on 15 August 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

atlas is 14 meters tall.

Atlas in MWO stands just at 17.

Atlas in lore was closer to 12. 14 is the TALLEST mech according to CGL, not to be confused with the heaviest. The Atlas has always been rather broad shouldered and stout, whereas mech s like the Banshee were actually taller.

#42 Xathanael

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 710 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona, USA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 July 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

The KCG-000 King Crab.

Area Denial. Body Guard. Fear Incarnate.

All that, and some really crappy nonsensical art. But despite that, something about it's basic shape appeals to a lot of people. Flying Debris did an interesting take, which, TBH, was the first "acceptable" KGC I had seen done. That said, and with due respect, it's a heavy black ink blob, with a bunch of scifi bolt-ons. It looks cool, but not "functional" or practical, in fact it kinda makes me think of something from a 50s Sci-Fi film (which is a good thing....IMO)

THE FINAL PRODUCT (as rendered by Kiriage~San!!! Domo arigato, [color=#212121]Yūjin!!!!)[/color]
Posted Image
So today, I had a couple of ideas bouncing around, and decided to put pen to paper. The result:
Posted Image

The reasoning:

In all, the KGC-000 is a flat, very short, but wide Assault Mech. It is meant to find a sheltered location, and control it, denying it from enemy use. So my goal was to make a mech that was more realistically scaled than most PGI units. The Atlas is approx. 17-18 meters tall, this unit is meant to me approximately 13 meters tall, or about 11.5m without the missile launchers and AMS.

ARMS/CLAWS:
The "claws" were really nothing more than armored sheaths to protect the AC20s, and allow the Crab to punch if need be without harming it's main guns. The TRO art has horribly spindly arms which make no sense. Since in MW:O they do not allow fro split crits, and since the "hands" are not really manipulative, I decided to follow the style used on the gun arm of the Centurion. They are massive to evoke power, but also because they house the bulkiest weapons in MW:O. And it allows them to shield the torso.

LEGS:
The TRO art quite simply would be so grossly unbalanced it would plow it's face in the ground and stay there. Also, in MWO, everything gets a "waist" turret, so that torso twist is possible. On Alex's concept, I felt that made the KGC-000 too tall. The Legs are still a little spindly, but that is intentional, as the armor on them is a little light. The Torso and arm design should draw most of the fire, so leaving them light would reduce drive weight and improve locomotion.

TORSOS:
The Center Torso is relatively small, and armored by not only the Side Torsos, but the massive arms. The role of a KGC makes using an XL a dicey proposition, so using those arms and torsos as armor for the core systems, IMO, makes more sense. The two massive front plates, or "mandibles" are Side Torso armor further protecting the CT. The Side Torsos are a little wide, but relatively flat, and protected by the arms. An XL "Command" Mech would be possible, but one would need to stick to the sniper role.

concept sketch showing full torso and arm detail:
Posted Image

Thoughts?

and for the HitBox Parade
Posted Image

bang.

and for the truly RPG nerdy.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

and a couple other colored concepts........
Posted Image

hunch-less
Posted Image

personally, I prefer the hunch, as it breaks up the monotony of the carapace. And seems to work well with the head, IMO. *shrugs* Either way, we now have it BOTH ways. Enjoy!

GREAT JOB!!!!

#43 ICUBurn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

someone get one of the 3D modelers on the forums to wip one together. id live to actualy see this thing in 3d. and it soooooooo needs to be in the game. cause as it sits now after the orion coms out there are literaly no more mechs im even remotly interested in buying. and i have 10 mech bays and only 2 atlasas 1 phract 1 stalker(gonna be selling it soon as lrms are still useless) a K2 and a commando. all maxed out. once orion drops ill literaly be buying all 3 of em. maxing em. picking one and reselling the other 2 all within like 10 minutes. XP conversion is all i ever use MC on nowadays. premium time is pointles right now.

#44 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostICUBurn, on 15 August 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

someone get one of the 3D modelers on the forums to wip one together. id live to actualy see this thing in 3d. and it soooooooo needs to be in the game. cause as it sits now after the orion coms out there are literaly no more mechs im even remotly interested in buying. and i have 10 mech bays and only 2 atlasas 1 phract 1 stalker(gonna be selling it soon as lrms are still useless) a K2 and a commando. all maxed out. once orion drops ill literaly be buying all 3 of em. maxing em. picking one and reselling the other 2 all within like 10 minutes. XP conversion is all i ever use MC on nowadays. premium time is pointles right now.

that wallpaper actually is a rigged 3D model. The artist, Kiriage -san is adding some last details, and when he is done, I will have a hi-res to show. And I am hoping that I will be able to use the 3D render to order my own 3D printed version. (If it works, I will be ordering 2, one for myself, and one for Kiriage-San, if he desires, as my co-mad scientist in creating this beast.)

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Kiriage~San is on fire!!!!!

Posted Image

#46 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

I will have to have one as the King Crab-005r Was submitted to a Contest on BattleCorps by none other than...ME! It was a Variant for My Lancemate Beerockxs!

#47 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 August 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

You had me at crab.

This is everything I want from the King Crab. Those hooves, the huge side torso cross armor plates and the width of the upper body. PGI would be INSANE not to take some inspiration from this and give Alex the reigns on such an awesome 'mech. Although we would get Alex's version; he is an artist, so he'll no doubt put his own spin on it.

Bishop and Kiriage, you have my utmost commendation. I'm gonna miss this community.

Edited by GizmoGecko, 17 August 2013 - 02:20 AM.

#48 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

Ohhh! I definitely like this thing. Nice and powerful looking while maintaining enough of it's original profile to remain unique. Very nice.

#49 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

Love it! I'll return MWO if King Crab would be added.

#50 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:29 AM

View PostGizmoGecko, on 17 August 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

You had me at crab.

This is everything I want from the King Crab. Those hooves, the huge side torso cross armor plates and the width of the upper body. PGI would be INSANE not to take some inspiration from this and give Alex the reigns on such an awesome 'mech. Although we would get Alex's version; he is an artist, so he'll no doubt put his own spin on it.

Bishop and Kiriage, you have my utmost commendation. I'm gonna miss this community.

where you think you going? we ain't given permission to leave!

#51 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 August 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

where you think you going? we ain't given permission to leave!

Just this week I got confirmed to start university in September. I wanted that Guardian package so badly too but I wouldn't be able to play it on my laptop, although I will have the holidays.

Don't worry, I'll still be scouring the forums for awesome artwork when I'm free, and checking up to see if I've got my King Crab, Masakari, Uziel (time shift expansion pack please) and Hellhound: no apologies to any Clanners, but I do like your stuff.

Edited by GizmoGecko, 17 August 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#52 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

I've taken this as a challenge. I'll be trying to make my own King Crab design, just for some practice in 3DS max. Don't know how long it'll take me, but I'm certain I have plenty of time.

Edit:
Oh, Bishop, I've noticed something about the 3D model while talking about it with a few friends to work out our own concept. Your friend's got a little PGI syndrome there, the shoulders got extended out beyond what was given in the concept, floating on what looks to be very thin and frail joints. The laser and missile pods got attached to these rather than on the side torsos. Also the pelvis looks a lot longer than in the concept art you gave.

I'm certain these are liberal licenses, but I fear this combined with the arms being a bit smaller really leaves the side torsos heavily exposed. Add to that, the "you hit the pelvis you hit the CT" issue, and the amount of side torso hitbox increase that's been added by extending the shoulders so far.

I'd like to see the model once those adjustments had been made to keep the 3D model closer to the concept art, as I believe it'd be more survivable then.

-----
Looking at the specs.. I've deduced the following models of King Crab would appear if PGI did put them in the game:

KGC 000
KGC 000b
KGC 0000

KGC 001

Edited by Koniving, 18 August 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#53 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

[color=#959595] [/color][color="#959595"]Your friend's got a little PGI syndrome there" ..holy crap!! is there some sort of vaccine for that? :P For sure I took a little bit of license with Bishops design. Working from a single perspective is challenging and to be fair Bishop offered to do up some orthos for me, but I was happy to work with what he had done allready. Yeah the "shoulders" not all that sold on them..they are actually not shoulders as such, they are the same piece of mech that exists on Bishops design(RT, LT), I'm not all that sold TBH on how they've come out on the 3D model, in particular the attachment point being..flimsy..I'm still working on some different options there..the pelvis..yep..bit different than Bishops..I'm not hating it at present..it allows for some good balance options for the stability of the KC and gave me a bit more room with leg placement..but if Bishop would like to see it changed..no sweat. Certainly borrowed a little bit of inspiration from some of PGI's project phoenix in a spot or two as well..its still a WIP really..only just started the UVmapping on it now..and have been open to Bishops input on it the whole time. Havent done any 3D work for a long time, just really liked his KC design(and others)and thought it would be a fun project to do. Happy to receive any comments on the work, great part of the forums to be involved in, some really talented people on here(I dont include myself in this bracket) and enjoyable to try and bring one of Bishops designs to life a little more.[/color]

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostKoniving, on 18 August 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

I've taken this as a challenge. I'll be trying to make my own King Crab design, just for some practice in 3DS max. Don't know how long it'll take me, but I'm certain I have plenty of time.

Edit:
Oh, Bishop, I've noticed something about the 3D model while talking about it with a few friends to work out our own concept. Your friend's got a little PGI syndrome there, the shoulders got extended out beyond what was given in the concept, floating on what looks to be very thin and frail joints. The laser and missile pods got attached to these rather than on the side torsos. Also the pelvis looks a lot longer than in the concept art you gave.

I'm certain these are liberal licenses, but I fear this combined with the arms being a bit smaller really leaves the side torsos heavily exposed. Add to that, the "you hit the pelvis you hit the CT" issue, and the amount of side torso hitbox increase that's been added by extending the shoulders so far.

I'd like to see the model once those adjustments had been made to keep the 3D model closer to the concept art, as I believe it'd be more survivable then.

-----
Looking at the specs.. I've deduced the following models of King Crab would appear if PGI did put them in the game:

KGC 000
KGC 000b
KGC 0000

KGC 001

All true. But, He is doing the work. Since I 1) dun wanna be a d-bag, and 2) dunno nada about 3D modeling, I have been pretty willing to let him go to town.

I would not mind seeing the upper torsos brought in a bit, and maybe a little more arm heft. Visually, the only real issue I take is I am not in love with the Kidney region, but not sure what to recommend to make it work better. Perhaps If I had front/back/Side orthos taken from his model I could tweak em in GIMP and see.

#55 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 August 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

All true. But, He is doing the work. Since I 1) dun wanna be a d-bag, and 2) dunno nada about 3D modeling, I have been pretty willing to let him go to town.

I would not mind seeing the upper torsos brought in a bit, and maybe a little more arm heft. Visually, the only real issue I take is I am not in love with the Kidney region, but not sure what to recommend to make it work better. Perhaps If I had front/back/Side orthos taken from his model I could tweak em in GIMP and see.

Yeah will send orthos to you Bishop, hopefully I can work the torsos a bit too, to bring them back into the body line some more, increasing the arm size-no prob-will send some adjustments through to you.

#56 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

OK front\ ortho modified to the proportions I think I intended. Dunno how this translates into 3D, but hopefully a side by side or overlay will show the percent and areas of changes.

Basically, I increased the arms 25% from the original Kiriage sent., reduced the upper torso width by about 10%, removed the additional pieces between the hips and crotch and narrowed the crotch itself by 10% The middle armor "belt" I widened about 10% and then I took the WHOLE mech and decreased the height by 10% or so.

Posted Image

so now, I think I just need to see the rear, and mostly think it will fall in line with the rest just by adjusting the proportions thusly.

Regardless, I still think you translated it amazingly well dude.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 18 August 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#57 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

This is a great product, guys. Keep up the awesome work and being the community contributors you are!

#58 Xathanael

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 710 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona, USA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 August 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

WELCOME TO JURASSIC PARK!!!!!

#59 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

quite a bit of rework being done to this model to bring it back in line more with Bishops original dimensions, much prefer the direction it is going in now, should have something for comment soon.

#60 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

further work on the model of Bishps KGC-000 design..comments, suggestions and critique welcome. FYI the 4 holes at the ..rear..aren't lights, they are vent holes for..coolant flush?..or something similar at anyrate

Posted Image

Edited by kiriage, 31 August 2013 - 01:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users