Ambidextrous Joysticks: Thrustmaster T.16000M Vs. Cyborg F.l.y 5 Flight Stick

13 replies to this topic

#1 Lucilius

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thrustmaster T.16000M vs. Cyborg F.L.Y 5 Flight Stick...(ambidextrous joysticks).

Ok, another thread to compare joysticks, yeah?

But more than that, I'd like to compare the companies that make these joysticks.

I think CH is related to Thrustmaster, which means that as far as build-quality goes, then the Thrusmaster should be the best in the industry considering that CH manufactures real control devices for real life industries. Think joysticks for construction cranes, planes, CCTV cameras, heavy equipment.

In any case, the company that manufactures Thrustmaster is a publicly listed company in the stock market...Saitek has no info on company history in their website...

But then again, I may be mistaken. The Cyborg looks like a fancy joystick, but fanciful isn't always sturdy.

Then there's the price. Cyborg seems to be more expensive with all that fancy. The Thrustmaster is simpler, but uses magnets to enhance accuracy for goodness sake!

So, which would you buy?

Edited by Lucilius, 18 July 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#2 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

In general I think you are right.
TM and CH are well-established companies, though I would say TM has a quality edge over CH, and cater more to gamer's needs.

But Saitek are catching up I think. The X52 is not at all bad...
These days, it does not matter as much if you are a bit of a geek and willing to do some modifications.
Many sticks (if not all) can be retro-fitted with "Hall Effect Sensors" (The "Magnets" that TM is talking about) that eliminate all deadzones and poor axis readouts, meaning all you need worry about are the physical properties of the stick and it's features.

Edited by evilC, 18 July 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#3 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Without a shred of competition, the T16000M wins this race; hands down, blindfolded, etc. The T16000M (particularly with underbaked titles like MWO) is the Chinese acrobat of joysticks in addition to being native left handed (after reconfig)... with a 14bit Hall (same one as the Warthog) and TARGET capability, it's in a different league altogether. There are more reasons if you need them listed, but TARGET alone makes it worth its weight...

#4 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

First off never buy anything from MadKatz or any of the companies they own, like SaiTek. Second the Thrustmaster 16000M is far and away the cheapest stick one can find with HALL Effect sensors, the next price range up from this 45 USD stick with HALL is at or above 200 USD.

So yeah do NOT get that FLY garbage unless you also get the Thrustmaster and intend to use the Saitek for target practice. Otherwise just stick with the Thrustmaster.

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 18 July 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#5 CommandoBran

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

I have had two Cyborg F.L.Y 5 flight sticks and the buttons broke off both. Get anything but that garbage.

#6 CommandoBran

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

I am now using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and that seams to work just fine.

#7 Lucilius

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostCommandoBran, on 18 July 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

I am now using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and that seams to work just fine.

Yes...but its not an ambidextrous joystick.

I seriously want to balance out the left and right sides of my body, hence I plan to put the "joystick load" to my left. I imagine that even my left arm, shoulder and back would get its muscles engaged while I make new "neural-muscular" connections between my right brain and left side.

I had a feeling that the TH would win.

So be it. Thanks for the input people.

#8 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

i have the thrustmaster t-16000m but it seems like mwo doesnt recognize it

#9 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

i have the thrustmaster t-16000m but it seems like mwo doesnt recognize it

You are wasting your stick's potential if you are not running it through TARGET. Below is a good code to get you started, with installation instructions further down.

Spoiler

...and a graphical explanation of the button mapping:
Posted Image
http://i.imgur.com/59Ahhhc.jpg

...and here's my boiler plate installation instructions/procedure:

0. Download TARGET (select correct version for your operating system) and install program
1. Open TARGET Script Editor (not GUI)
2. click 'Menu' and select 'new' and select TARGET .tmc file and fill in the name blank, then click 'open'
3.delete entire contents of the page that comes up, and copypasta the TARGET script (above) in it's place
4. Save current script (click folder symbol between fwd/back arrows and joystick at upper left)
5. Run script
6. open your MWO user.cfg folder (C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\user.cfg) with Notepad and add the following 2 lines:
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0 //fwd/x/reverse
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1 //fwd=fwd

7. close notepad/user.cfg and save edits when prompted
8. Open the MWO client and go to Menu>options and scroll down to bottom of 'configure controls' list. (be the controls are set to default at this stage)
9. click the far right cell for Throttle, and move the thottle on the stick to bind that axis, click yes when asked if you want to remap controls and save/exit.
10. click the far right cell for Analog Turn, and twist the stick to bind that axis, click yes when asked if you want to remap controls and save/exit.
11. Enjoy!

Edited by Loc Nar, 24 August 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#10 DrXitomatl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

I use the Thrustmaster as a left-handed control for throttle and turning. I'm very happy with it. Add some deadspace to the x-axis in the user.cfg file to prevent accidentally turning while trying to go straight forward.

#11 Dark Marauder

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hi, I purchased a Thrustmaster T16000M after reading this post. It has a great feel and I jumped right and tried to play MWOnline with it.

One problem:

How can I modify your script to make steering (left/right) be from moving the handle left or right, and throttle be pushing the stick forward, or pulling back for reverse?

Currently it is mapped so that I have to steer by twisting the stick - Which is so counter intuitive to me that I just can't do it.

I don't care if twist even works, but if it does, it seems to me that it should be for torso twist. Like I had with my old side winder 3D pro stick.

I will aim and torso twist with the mouse, but if the stick torso twists that would fine.

Could you please show me how to modify the script to accomplish this?

Thanks!

#12 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

The Cyborg F.L.Y 5 Flight Stick is a piece of JUNK!!!! do not, I repeat, do not buy it. Buttons were falling off after one week of light use. I have had Microsoft Precisions II's last for years at a time. I wish they (The M$ Precisions) still were being made.

#13 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:42 AM

there is a screw somewhere to lock the twist .
you need to set the turn axis to 'analog turn' in the mwo settings screen.
i dont know if you can set the sticks axis to 'analog' throttle but give it a try..
i dont see it for sale today or in stock but micro center sometimes sells the t16000m for $20-$30

Edited by Gorantir, 13 September 2014 - 05:44 AM.

#14 R1M10

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

Hello guys! I bought a t16000m stick but I am not able to configure it to control legs movement, and to be left handled. I want to use mouse on right for torso and aiming/fire. Stick only for movements. Can anyone one help me with script or configuration?

Ciao and Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users