Stop Crawling Up My ***

60 replies to this topic

#1 Zarion11

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:01 AM

Seriously, leave some space for ur fellow mech to retreat. When ur a piloting an asault, some noobs tend to use u as a cover. Its really annoying. And on top of that sometimes they even teamkill u. (Shoot u in the back) Didnt experience that for a long time. Lately its really bad. Dont use ur fellow as a shield!

***-Arse. And stop sensoring me. Thanks.

#2 Oriius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

I will sometimes use those big buys as a shield, however i won't stand close behind them, and won't block their path in any way.

I have noticed since the movement change, what i like to call "creeper mechs" where people stand dead behind you basically touching you. Can be very annoying, don't block your own team in guys, don't be a creeper!

#3 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

If you don't want to be a shield for your teammates, you shouldn't be using assault 'mechs.

#4 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

just wait for collisions.

#5 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostBloodweaver, on 22 July 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

If you don't want to be a shield for your teammates, you shouldn't be using assault 'mechs.

It's not the being a shield part that's the problem. It's getting killed because you couldn't back up because a teammate thinks that "using you as a shield" means that they have to stand directly behind you.

#6 Zarion11

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:29 AM

Thats okee. I do that too, when I need to unlock some efficiencies on a mech. Leave some space to retreat for ur team mate please Happens to much..

#7 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

I will occasionally use an assault mech as cover when I am backup them up on a target, if the situation allows it. But I make sure that they have an exit if they need it.

In fact, I encourage the assault to back off after the initial engagement. When the assault overheats, take a few steps back ... that way, the enemy sees the assault retreat only to find a nice cool Cataphract standing in its place, feverishly unloading it's ACs and lasers. Pretty much guaranteed insta-death for the enemy mech after overheating and going toe-to-toe with an assault for a while, now being faced with a fresh foe.

But agreed 100% -- it really sucks when you try to back up and some id10t is blocking your path. And if they are that close, they can't be helping you out since they can't possibly have line of sight to the enemy.

#8 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

Using your allies as cover is an essential part of the game, standing directly behind them when they stand still so they can't move back is just stupid :S

#9 Zarion11

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

View PostBloodweaver, on 22 July 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

I really love the assaults. Heavy's are more effiecient atm. When Im in an assault I stumble on every single obsticale. Since this is a post in a newbie tread. I hope new players become aware of this. Im sure experienced players know already how to play. Not using assaults is a bit silly imo.

#10 Zarion11

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

Ow, I can elaborate about this, to make it a bit more complicated. I like to take point. It might not be the smartest thing to do. What happens is is that when u take point, u get hit by some 3ppc and Gauss or 60 lrm boat u want to avoid that shitsels. maybe I should lay back a little bit. I cannot do that. Is It so hard to ask for a bit more space for the most important job (imo) in the team?

#11 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

If we are on the same team, I'd much rather that you take point, where I'd back you up, rather than taking 100 tons of mech and (slowly) trying to cap the enemy base. Very little in the game annoys me more than someone taking a 100 ton Atlas to try to cap the base when the rest of the team is trying to hold off 100-ton weight advantage on the other team. Especially since it takes an Atlas 7 hours to reach the other end of the battlefield to cap in the first place.

Now, that said, PUGging always makes taking point a lot harder, since if you take point, nothing guarantees that any other PUGs will back you up. Some will. Some won't. Sadly, it's a crap-shoot either way. Dropping in a group helps to alleviate that a lot, if you can.

#12 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

While someone parking behind your Mech can be very irritating, and in fact I have been destroyed several times because I was unable to move. I think it also important to point out that it is a bad idea to stop on one of the rare, hard to find ramps on canyon just because it's a handy way to pop-tart in your Atlas. You are most likely blocking several team mates from entering the battle and forcing them to find another way around.

#13 Roosterfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

On my lrm based mechs I've watched this happen on my team countless times. Not only do the other mechs block the Assault from moving they tend to actively shoot the assault up.

Spacing, use it.

#14 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

50 meters to the rear, 90 meters left or right.
helps give the assualt a way back and your AMS helps him
fight off that flight of LRMS.

Second point, watch where you cross over in front of your team mate
I'm zoomed in with PPC's blaring and shoulder shoot that phrat that crosses my firing path

#15 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

I pilot primary medium mechs and I always use my teammate as shield and distraction.
But please keep atleast 150m away from the guy in front.

What I see quite often in canyon is this;
An Assault taking point, following by another assault or heavy, and followed by the rest.
Upon first encounter, the assault back into the guy in the back and the guy in the back back into another guy in the back, and you get a clusterf of 3 or 4 mechs trying to untangle themselves.

#16 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

View Postxengk, on 22 July 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

I pilot primary medium mechs and I always use my teammate as shield and distraction.
But please keep atleast 150m away from the guy in front.

What I see quite often in canyon is this;
An Assault taking point, following by another assault or heavy, and followed by the rest.
Upon first encounter, the assault back into the guy in the back and the guy in the back back into another guy in the back, and you get a clusterf of 3 or 4 mechs trying to untangle themselves.

Saw this exact situation earlier today in my Atlas on Canyon. I've also seen some similar situations in River City, where there's only effective way for an assault to get to a fight, invariably someone will park there and start shooting. So your choice is to drive up their *** or spend precious minutes walking all the way around whatever buildings are in the way.

#17 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostBenjamin Davion, on 22 July 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Saw this exact situation earlier today in my Atlas on Canyon. I've also seen some similar situations in River City, where there's only effective way for an assault to get to a fight, invariably someone will park there and start shooting. So your choice is to drive up their *** or spend precious minutes walking all the way around whatever buildings are in the way.

Saw this happen to the enemy team in canyon and we had the high ground....

Ever heard of 'like shooting fish in a barrel'?

Unloaded, we won... easily.

#18 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 22 July 2013 - 05:25 AM, said:

It's not the being a shield part that's the problem. It's getting killed because you couldn't back up because a teammate thinks that "using you as a shield" means that they have to stand directly behind you.

Most irritating thing. I can count so many times other players have done this.

The other one is where you poke out to snipe and a mech will move and stand right in front of you.

There seems to be this swarm mentality where everyone is so insecure they have to all attempt to be on the same spot. The maps are large enough for players to spread out, dont make your team an easy target by all cowering on the same sport or by hiding behind other mechs and getting your own team killed in your stupidity.

Maybe the devs need a tool tip for this. I doubt you will get experienced players doing this often if not at all... ...shame on them if they do.

Edited by White Bear 84, 22 July 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#19 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

This doesn't only happen to assault pilots. I've had people block me like than in my Yen-lo Wang. I usually notice it when I'm taking fire and can't back out from it. That's when the AC20 gets the message across that I really don't like it when my teamates touch me there. :P

#20 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 22 July 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Most irritating thing. I can count so many times other players have done this.

The other one is where you poke out to snipe and a mech will move and stand right in front of you.

There seems to be this swarm mentality where everyone is so insecure they have to all attempt to be on the same spot. The maps are large enough for players to spread out, dont make your team an easy target by all cowering on the same sport or by hiding behind other mechs and getting your own team killed in your stupidity.

Maybe the devs need a tool tip for this. I doubt you will get experienced players doing this often if not at all... ...shame on them if they do.

The number of times that has happened to me. I step out, risk heavy incoming fire, zero in with PPCs/Gauss, and right as I fire, a Hunchback comes derping around right in front of me. OR BETTER. I have literally opened up with a gut-busting rapid-fire burst of three UAC5s and a Blackjack was SO INTENT on trying to kill the Atlas I was eviscerating, he waded into my stream of fire and took half a dozen UAC5 rounds to the back, THEN BITCHED AT ME for friendly fire. :P

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users