Four-Legged + Crab-Like Mechs

61 replies to this topic

Poll: Four-Legged & Crab-Like Mechs - Got to have them? (201 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Four-Legged Mech or a Crab-like Mech? Would you consider paying real money for one?

1. Voted Yes (113 votes [56.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.22%

2. No (39 votes [19.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.40%

3. It depends upon which mech is offered (49 votes [24.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Animus Corpus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!!!

:) Give us the King Crab at least :P

#42 Antasius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 13 August 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

[color=cyan]Just to make sure it's clear, it's largely a work/code/etc issue for why this isn't done. Multi-legged NPC's/Mechs/characters/etc are incredibly difficult to animate and code in, and this would be upwards of 3-4 times the work of a 'normal' Mech. It's not we don't want to, it's just more effort for roughly the same gain. Does that make sense?[/color]

OK, I get this... I also want his. I for one wouldn't mind waiting 3-4 times longer for this integral aspect of the game to be implemented. The Goliath must walk again.

#43 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

PGI have already said "COMPUTER SAYS NO!"

#44 Relic1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostMeat Waggon, on 24 July 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

• 100 tons – King Crab KGC-000 [and please get rid of the two AC/20 penalty - this mech is designed from the start for TWO AC/20s]

As the Awesome is designed for 3 PPC's.......nuff said!

Edited by Relic1701, 29 September 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#45 Animus Corpus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Lots of us still want the King Crab - take the Stalker form, add two big arms and call it the King Crab if you want, but make it from the ground up as the King Crab should be. Twin AC/20s with no heat penalty to fire them. Also, these must fire SINGLE PROJECTILES each instead of the proposed multi-projectiles that have been mentioned elsewhere. Thank you :-)

#46 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

Greetings all,

Just so we are clear, the multi legged Mech versions from BattleTech are no where near what we have right now.
Yes, I understand it's probably all Lostech,
- but having more legs leads to more transversibility of most terrain.
- Better weight distribution, and additional stability.

If you think that it's way too much to program and control, algorithms are designed to fluidly control the legs as the Pilot just directs the Mech where to move to an how fast.
- Don't think it could be done?
~ well let me show you a company that solved that and made functional machines.
(imagine this much larger and probably designed by NASA or other for off-world use.)

Video of the T8 Spider: (warning, if you have problems with spiders, don't watch this video.)
- The control is unbelievable. 26 motors and bio-mechanical type movements.

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=HfiHOpv6HtI

Again, imaging the dexterity of a BattleTech sized machine like this.
(first saw this on an Adam Savage's web site, "Myth Busters' guy)

9erRed

#47 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

I vote no.

Mostly because anything that makes World-of-Tanks junkies play this game *MORE* like they've been playing WoT for the last few years, is a bad, bad, bad idea.

#48 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:35 AM

I wish that quad or six legged mechs could be implemented, but the sad truth is that there are only a few such mechs in the lore.. and they are grosely outperformed by their bipedal counterparts..

So sadly, while beeing a good idea...

NO.

Edited by Vellron2005, 21 September 2015 - 04:36 AM.

#49 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:34 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 21 September 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

I wish that quad or six legged mechs could be implemented, but the sad truth is that there are only a few such mechs in the lore.. and they are grosely outperformed by their bipedal counterparts..

So sadly, while beeing a good idea...

NO.

It's not like it's a bad thing to have underperforming mechs.

I mean, we have the Urbanmech.
And i don't think that a 6/9 movement 55tonner (default engine is 330, so it would have a maximum engine rating of a whopping 375) with Energy and Missile hardpoints would be THAT bad, even if it trades the ability to torso-twist for the ability to sidestrafe (just copy-paste the mechanics from Planetside 2 for the Vanu Magriders vs other tanks. I would choose the Madrider's sidestrafing over the 360o turret of the other tanks, any time of the day.)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 21 September 2015 - 06:35 AM.

#50 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

We have to move out of the arena style game that MWO have become then. Lights would just eat those for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. Climbing would be a hassel too.

#51 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostSerpentbane, on 23 September 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

We have to move out of the arena style game that MWO have become then. Lights would just eat those for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. Climbing would be a hassel too.

Well, most Lights already eat slow assaults (like the direwolf) with ease. (and some eat LITERALLY EVERYTHING, i'm looking at you, Arctic Cheater and Forum-Firestarter)

Climbing wouldn't be a problem if they got decent animations (PGI's animations are very hit or miss, some of them look absolutely great, others look like complete garbage) and re-implementing inverse kinematics (the feet actually touching the ground, instead of clipping like they do now.)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 23 September 2015 - 08:17 AM.

#52 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:54 AM

If the pace at which PGI releases content were to get WORSE if they added complex 4-leggers into mwo, then NO. I get it, the pace is irritating already.

#53 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:43 AM

Quads would be wonderful in terms of usefulness, if rough in terms of implementation.

Only a torso crosshair...but superior turning speed, lateral (sidestrafe) movement, and hill-peeking (and it'd generally need less) ability. And losing a leg wouldn't mean a full-on dead-man shuffle of speed loss.

It'd be an interesting addition, but my faith in PGI doing it right is low. Also, quads only. There are no six-leggers in BT.

#54 kage131

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:47 AM

Yes we need this!!
I have been saying from day one that quad and tri legged mechs are awesome and would bring another interesting facet to this game.
To quote sarna
“The Quad 'Mech uses its "arms" for legs which gives these designs some additional stability and maneuverability (such as sidestepping, also known as lateral shift movement).”
The Fire Scorpion, Scorpion LAM, Thunder Stallion and ,Goliath GOL-1H are perfect examples of mechs that can be used.

#55 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:31 AM

If a Mech was designed with two legs, leave it alone. There are plenty of multi-legged Mechs out there such as the Stalking Spider which I would love to see in MWO.

#56 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:49 AM

This game needs quad mechs! Lots of other things to.

#57 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:06 PM

Posted Image

#58 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:29 AM

View Postdante245, on 01 March 2018 - 09:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

That is a drone and grats to max thread necro...also Quads still remain impossible due to game engine restrictions.

#59 MechanicalWraith

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

I realize this thread is ancient, but 'engine limitations' == 'we're too busy selling millions of bipedal collectibles to actually program something new' - granted Quads would look kinda crappy without IK, but truly magnificent Quads are perfectly well within the realm of possibility for the (Cry3) engine - and I say this as an Unreal Engine fan.

I'm actually feeling a new Quad-mech suggestion thread coming on.

#60 Ballistic Panicmode

• PipPipPip
  • The Scattershot
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

Quads seem reasonable if the advantages and disadvantages are done right, and would require the least amount of modification to the current scheme. (the number of components per mech being the same)

Six legs doesn't seem like it would add much other than complexity, and tripod mechs are just..... hokey. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users