#1 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

http://www.hisstank....ystriker-12376/
Still up to their old tricks, never change HG.

Harmony Gold Sues Hasbro over SDCC 2013 Jetfire Skystriker
Posted on 07-24-2013 at 04:45 PM by C.I.A.D. Posted Image
Posted Image From our sister site TFW2005 (and by extension, Sol Fury), Courthouse News reports that Harmony Gold, owners of the Robotech IP and by extension Macross in the USA, have filed a complaint that Hasbro's recent SDCC 2013 exclusive G.I. Joe VS Transformers Skystriker Jetfire has infringed on their IP. The action, submitted to the US District Court, seeks injunctive relief and damages from Hasbro.

The action against Hasbro by Harmony Gold originates with the earliest origins of the Autobot Jetfire and the US licensing rights of the series from which his toy originated, Macross. Hasbro in 1984 licensed the VF-1 Valkyrie toy for use in Transformers as Jetfire, while during the same period, Harmony Gold licensed the rights to Macross from Tatsunako, including merchandising rights. This was one reason, in the original Generation 1 Transformers cartoon, for Jetfire featuring a much different design on screen and being phased out of the series early in the second season.

What Harmony Gold alleges is that Hasbro's G.I. Joe VS Transformers Jetfire Skystriker toy infringes upon Harmony Gold's rights to the marketing of Macross, including merchandising rights, outside of Japan, based on the resemblance of the toy to the Veritech VF-1 Valkyrie. They allege that the SDCC exclusive toy has caused, and continues to cause, financial damage to their company. As a result Harmony Gold are seeking the withdrawal of the G.I. Joe VS Transformers Jetfire Skystriker toy from sale, seizure of all remaining stock (including Hasbro to "recall from any person or entity known to them who purchased or received... any unauthorized toys or other products based on [Harmony Gold's] copyrighted works"), Hasbro to pay all profits made on the set to Harmony Gold, in addition to damages, legal fees and "exemplary damages in an amount sufficient amount to punish and make a public example of Hasbro, and deter wrongful conduct in future".

Short version for those who do not wish to read the long wall of text: Harmony Gold is taking action in the courts against Hasbro due to the resemblance of the G.I. Joe VS Transformers Jetfire Skystriker, and what they are seeking is:
1) Remaining toys to be removed from sale;
2) Unsold stock to be turned over to them (& a possible recall);
3) Lots of $ in damages.

You can view the original report on Courthose News here and a copy of the Complaint lodged with the United States District Court Here

Posted Image

Edited by xengk, 25 July 2013 - 04:34 AM.

#2 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

They are not looking for a win here, they are looking for a large settlement from hasbro to keep the thing from being tried in court.

My hope is that Hasbro stand their ground because i am getting fairly tired of HG.

#3 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

View Postder langsamere, on 25 July 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Doesnt HG not even actually HAVE that license? Isnt it Studio Nue or something?

Yep, Japanese took it from them longer ago when it turned out they should've never gotten it (as a matter of fact, Japanese confirmed it was actually FASA who should've sued HG for unseens back in the day), but due to the US laws and all, the ******** still hold exclusive rights to marketting Robotech outside of Japan.

In other words, Japanese would have to pay them to get anything new outside of Japan and they aren't having none of it.

Hasbro should be fine.

#4 lizardmech

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

There needs to be a social media campaign to scuttle Harmony Golds attempt to get Warner Bothers to make a live action movie. They're trying to drag a big company into the mess so they can completely steal the macross IP from its Japanese creators.

#5 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 25 July 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

They are not looking for a win here, they are looking for a large settlement from hasbro to keep the thing from being tried in court.

My hope is that Hasbro stand their ground because i am getting fairly tired of HG.

Actually I hope Hasbro buys up HG and the rights so we can finally get MechWarrior toys.

Not to mention BT might finally get a shot at being adapt into movie.
Hasbro did spend money on Battleship, Transformer and G.I.Joe.

Edited by xengk, 26 July 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#6 lizardmech

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

View Postxengk, on 26 July 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

Actually I hope Hasbro buys up HG and the rights so we can finally get MechWarrior toys.

I don't think any sane company would buy them out, if you search google there's articles showing the harmony gold owner Frank Agrama was recently convicted for serious fraud related crimes and only escaped serving his 3 year jail sentence on a technicality. On top of that according to japanese courts they don't actually own the rights so Hasbro would be liable to be sued by the japanese companies that made all the artwork if they used Harmony golds stolen IP.

#7 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

Does this "company" actually do something? Other than copyright troll every 5 years or so?

#8 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Does this "company" actually do something? Other than copyright troll every 5 years or so?

Posted Image

#9 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

I think that HG picked the wrong guys to mess with, Hasbro has its own department of lawyers specifically hired for this sort of thing.

#10 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Having a License is not the same as having the IP rights. HG can use it, but nothing else, it is up to the Japanese to sue and they are unlikely - it gets people to look at older IPs. Additionally, the Japanese anime and manga people who have the IP rights do not care if you make similar mecha designs as long as it does not look exactly the same. Unless, as Carl Macek did with Robotech from Macross, you license the designs and give them money. (BTW, they called Carl, "Carl the Butcher" for what he did with the three series he put together to create Robotech - in order:The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (I love the Cyclone Battle Armors from the last title)

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 28 July 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#11 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:43 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 28 July 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Unless, as Carl Macek did with Robotech from Macross, you license the designs and give them money. (BTW, they called Carl, "Carl the Butcher" for what he did with the three series he put together to create Robotech - in order:The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (I love the Cyclone Battle Armors from the last title)

Since Macek has been mentioned, I think it is apporirate to link to an interview he did with Anime News Network back in 2010 before he passed away.

ANNCast: Macek Training

#12 Wired

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

Well in this new age of coming down hard on patent trolls, they should get what is coming to them. Right? right.

#13 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

I only care about what it does for my undying love of Marauders.

And piloting them, in all their stompy glory.

But seriously, what is the likely outcome for the BT/MW world? Nothing changes for at least 2 years? And even if Hasbro law smashes them in the face, does it really make any difference for us (read the people that don't care about anime)?

#14 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:44 PM

What does this mean ?

Combat Manual: Mercenaries <- A Marauder and Warhammer !!! on the Cover !!!

Edited by McHoshi, 24 July 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#15 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

And what ever happened to the Hasbro suit?

#16 Snakerensky

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostMcHoshi, on 24 July 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

What does this mean ?

Experimental Technical Readout: Republic III (E-Publication) <- A Marauder !!!

I was wondering that myself, those mechs on the cover of the new Mercenaries manual look awfully familiar, either Catalyst are taking a big risk or progress has been made with Harmony Gold.

#17 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

Next episode: Harmony Gold vs Games Workshop.......

#18 JarheadEd

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

Sauce

http://bg.battletech...dthree-two-one/

REIMAGINING THE CLASSICS

The re-designing of the unseen BattleMechs that was accomplished as part of Project Phoenix was the right option at that time. It ensured those BattleMechs were usable by the community in both Technical Readouts and miniatures form as we thoroughly explored the unfolding plot lines of the Jihad Era.

However, as FanPro—and then Catalyst—continued to exploring the full breadth of theBattleTech history in Historical, Era and Field Manual sourcebooks, it became more apparent that the solution that worked so well for post-3067 left the ’Mech berths empty for previous time periods, especially the Succession Wars. After years of weighing the pros and cons, we’ve made the decision to not just dip our toes in the pool, but to leap into the deep end: straight out of the DropShips into a hot LZ!

We’ve spent the last half-year re-imagining the unseen BattleMechs that will always be one of the hallmarks of BattleTech. Our goal during all of this remains to merge 21st Century sensibilities with the classic lines that make those ’Mechs so near and dear to all of us.

As part of this announcement you’ll see two covers that feature the results of this extensive work, as well as a render to start proof-of-concept miniatures production. In the coming weeks and months we’ll be rolling out more covers and sketches to show all the work that’s been merged into this amazing project.

Edited by USMCG JarheadEd, 24 July 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#19 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostUSMCG JarheadEd, on 24 July 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

Sauce

http://bg.battletech...dthree-two-one/

I saw that, and those things aren't just reimagined unseens . . . they pretty much are unseens. Looking at the thumbnail image they look like straight up unseen mechs. It's only when you pull them up and look close that you see any amount of difference.

That means that either Catalyst has some secret weapons in it's art or research; or it's about to get really ugly for Catalyst when Harmony Gold comes calling.

Regardless, HG WILL come calling with a complaint. It's just a matter of what the results will be.

On the other hand, if this turns out well for Catalyst, then maybe I'll finally get a Wasp in MWO. That'd make me pretty happy.

#20 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

Jetfire always was a nearly exact copy of the VF-1 Valkyrie...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users