Single Heatsinks

46 replies to this topic

#41 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 17 June 2014 - 01:05 AM, said:

The SHS increases your heat cap by 1 and adds 0.1 heat dissipation per second. Compared to an external DHS at 1.4 and 0.14 for those same stats. Your CN9-A there has a total of 10 SHS, so 1 heat per second dissipation and a cap of 40. It'll take 5 seconds to damp the heat generated by one ML.

Back in closed beta, during the days of repair&rearm, pretty much every machine used their stock engine or a larger STD. 64.8 was actually a respectable speed for anything bigger than a Jenner. Certainly made it interesting in a city brawl - walking round a corner to come face to face with 3 Atlantes and not have the speed to escape before they annihilated you. You'd just pray that they were running hot and didn't want to risk firing (yay SHS! ha).

Yeah, its just why clan stuff is soo much better and why ive never cared for using IS anything....compared to clan stuff its always sooo......crap..

For an IS, 64 is respectable on a medium, lol. For a Clan, 64.8 is respectable....on an 85t assault.

IS Heatsinks are 1 heat per second....Clan heatsinks actually remove heat at a reasonable pace, so as not to be bottlenecked and waiting to cool down cuz the mech torso twisted 5 degrees to the left. My Warhawk with its 27 DHS can keep up a good pace of fire from its 4 ER PPC. The Centurion cant even carry 27 SHS, unless it stripped all its armor, weapons and everything, and even then wouldnt be able to effectively dissipate the heat from 2 ML, let alone a PPC and even then a single ER PPC.

#42 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

View PostBOWMANGR, on 17 June 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

On a more on-topic note, SHS exist for one and only one reason. It's a free 2 play gimmick that all F2P games have. They are a C-Bills sink. They aren't useful, they will NEVER be useful and that's the whole point actually. There is nothing to fix simply because they are "working as intended" TM. Just assume that all mech prices you see when shopping are 1.5 million C-Bills higher and never look back.

It is in the game for more than just "It's a free to play gimmick". The game is based on already existing lore and story. In that lore, IS forces primarily used cheaper SHS and also didn't regain the technology of DHS until rather recently. DHS are a rather new thing for the IS, and expensive for most pilots. (As is customizing your mechs too.)

Overall, as a game mechanic, it only gives you options and what people refer to as a "DHS Tax". However, if R&R was still/back in the game, people would want to run lower tech gear more often, as it would be cheaper and gain them more net C-bills. With R&R removed, a lot of things that "made sense" stopped making so much game mechanic sense... :D

#43 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 17 June 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

Yeah, its just why clan stuff is soo much better and why ive never cared for using IS anything....compared to clan stuff its always sooo......crap..

For an IS, 64 is respectable on a medium, lol. For a Clan, 64.8 is respectable....on an 85t assault.

IS Heatsinks are 1 heat per second....Clan heatsinks actually remove heat at a reasonable pace, so as not to be bottlenecked and waiting to cool down cuz the mech torso twisted 5 degrees to the left. My Warhawk with its 27 DHS can keep up a good pace of fire from its 4 ER PPC. The Centurion cant even carry 27 SHS, unless it stripped all its armor, weapons and everything, and even then wouldnt be able to effectively dissipate the heat from 2 ML, let alone a PPC and even then a single ER PPC.

Well the Clans were designed from the get-go to be OP. IIRC, they were an effort to revitalise the table top game with something players could get their teeth into, as well as provide new gear and chassis to mess with.

However now, 64.8kph is not generally acceptable on an IS Medium. Not when there is no real lasting drawback to taking an XL engine or using Endo (et al) to save weight and getting a larger STD engine. Not when you have IS Assaults moving at ~80kph. With 'free' upgrades like Endo, XL, Ferro, Artemis, and the higher-tech kit like BAP and ECM, the IS in MWO have made a significant narrowing of the tech gap between them and the Clans.

The Clan DHS have the exact same dissipation as the IS DHS - 2 cap and 0.2 dissipation for in-engine heatsinks (ie, the 10 free ones that come with a 250-rated engine) and 1.4 cap and 0.14 dissipation for those added manually. They're just smaller and easier to fit in larger numbers. A mech carrying 27SHS would be able to comfortably fire 2ML continuously (if I'm doing my head-math right), as the heat would be damped shortly after the lasers recycled.

Related, look up Koniving's youtube clip of testing an Atlas filled with ~40 SHS firing three PPCs non stop. They can work better than IS DHS, you just have to take a crippling number of them. Good for a joke build, anyway.

#44 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostKrazy Kat, on 05 August 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

I made it overheat. Actually, I think I had a standard ML and one more heatsink, and I made it blow up.

I was firing while sprinting across the caldera at Caustic Valley, and it shut down.
I thought "OK, it will cool off and reactivate in a second... or two... or three... Srsly, reactivate!"
BOOM! "Destroyed by: Overheating"

#45 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 18 November 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

I made it overheat. Actually, I think I had a standard ML and one more heatsink, and I made it blow up.

I was firing while sprinting across the caldera at Caustic Valley, and it shut down.
I thought "OK, it will cool off and reactivate in a second... or two... or three... Srsly, reactivate!"
BOOM! "Destroyed by: Overheating"

Sounds more like you got hit with ye old "forever gaining heat" bug that cropped up on the hot maps from time to time...

#46 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

I once had a dual Guass Jaggermech that I used SHS on....

But that's it

#47 DarkonFullPower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b1795558daf8491

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users