Why Does Mwo Need Administration Rights?

42 replies to this topic

#41 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:37 AM

Hello new user that is probably also new to the security field,

My opening line has pretty much made my point. Just to slam it home, though, lots of software requires some level of extra permissions to run on a typical Windows 7 install. Since you're so worried about it, you can find a complete list by trying out every piece of software that will run on it and then writing it down somewhere. Why write it down? Because the only actual secure thing on the internet is a piece of paper with hand-written text that is locked in a vault where only the owner has a key, a pin-code, and a gun.

Signed,
guy that has been here since closed beta and been in the IT security field for about 6 1/2 years now.

#42 Pasiasty

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:18 AM

I was looking for a solution to run MWO without UAC promp but only thing is working for me right now is -nopatch addon to MWO Client.

During me research i found intresting topic: http://mwomercs.com/...-admin-account/
User DrSheldonCooper wrote there instruction to make MWO run as invoker (MS patcher tool or something). Too bad its not working anymore. I tried to create new database with some changes but no luck so far.

#43 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostVetinary, on 28 July 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

So why does MWO need administration rights?

I run my Windows as simple "User" so that no unwanted Software may install itself, or get more rights than I want to. This is the standard on Linux based systems and a pretty save way to run your Windows.

To install software like MWO I need to type in my administration password that's the way it should be. But why the hell do I need to type it in every time, I start the game? Any Software should only run with basic rights, so that there is no hole in the security. Why does MWO need administrative rights on my Computer, what is it doing?

Not only am I worried about, what MWO is doing with these rights on my computer, but also am I worried about the security risk, of letting any software run with administrative rights, due to the fact, that MWO is communicating over the internet and thereby a possible back door to my system. These rights should only be given, if there is a special task to do, like giving your System Control the rights to mess with your hard drive setup. These are not rights, I need MWO to have!

If I had to go out on a limb and guess, I would think perhaps it has something to do with using Flash to render some in-game content (hud). Just a thought

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users