Mechwarrior Movie or Series?

62 replies to this topic

Poll: Movie,Tv Series,Cartoon (204 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes i would like to see PGI do a Mechwarrior movie or Tv Series

1. Yes? (176 votes [85.85%])

Percentage of vote: 85.85%

2. No? (29 votes [14.15%])

Percentage of vote: 14.15%

Yes i would like to see PGI do a Mechwarrior Cartoon Series?

1. Yes? (114 votes [55.61%])

Percentage of vote: 55.61%

2. No? (91 votes [44.39%])

Percentage of vote: 44.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

After reading so many topics on Battletech History i have to ask would you like to see PGI do a Mechwarrior Movie or maybe do a Mechwarrior TV Series or even a Mechwarrior TV Cartoon Series? There is so much BT history it could run in syndication for 30 years and the Mechwarrior fans old and new would love to see this happen so they knew where Battletech came from and where it was going in the future.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

PGI doesn't own the rights to movies/shows, and they cannot make toys either.

#3 PirateNixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

I think a feature film would be great, but I'm afraid the production costs would kill a TV series. The amount of CGI that would be regularly required would really take a lot of investment, or you do it cheap and it looks stupid.

#4 Kazzamo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

A BattleTech movie would be nice... but it depends who does it. Given how we handle giant robots at the moment I'd just fear it'd turn into Micheal Bay's sequal to "Explosions!", aka "Even Bigger Explosions!"

#5 Splunkjamma

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHitchin, uk

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

From wiki

Live-action film

Electric Entertainment, a Hollywood production company founded by Dean Devlin, currently holds the option to produce a feature film based on theMechWarrior universe.[5] In 2003, Devlin approached Paramount to pitch the project but failed to receive funding. The project is currently in development hell.[/color]

Edited by Splunkjamma, 12 June 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#6 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Voting is pointless because PGI isn't a TV/movie studio.... but I would love to see an HBO/Showtime quality series most likely, or secondarily a movie trilogy.

#7 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

That first picture should be unseen. Im not sure whats going on below the belly button there, but I refuse to go back and look to clarify.

#8 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

They don't have time for any of that. I want 'em making MWO!

#9 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostVandul, on 12 June 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

That first picture should be unseen. Im not sure whats going on below the belly button there, but I refuse to go back and look to clarify.

Can't stop laughing lol.

#10 Moncai Icaza

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Not Pgi but someone should make something and NOT MICHEL BAY. hbo would be my choice maybe covering the clan invasion novels after aGoT ill trust them more with some thing like this than most other companys.

voted yes for a cartoon on 2 conditions as most of us are older now make it relevent for adults ( i go back and watch thundercats or transformers now i cringe at the dialouge) and keep it western, although i love manga/anime they have enough robot shows.

#11 belakor502

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

On the cartoon part there are many animes wich robots simillar to mech, Hell there is even an own genre for it that is called mecha i think.

#12 Sarriss

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

Sadly, what BT/MW fans would want to see and what would sell are too different things. Most likely you'd run into a "Mech Assault" type mentality. Lots of explosions, meat head actors with either a convoluted plot that in the end doesn't make much sense and no one cares, or such a simplistic plot (Davion is good, Liao is bad, Kurita is insane, Marik is the troubled cousin and FRR is the little brother with an over compensation issue) that anyone who even remotely calls them self a fan would be insulted. I hate to break it to you, but a deep, complex story, with compelling characters, portraying the BT universe as we think about it in the books we read or the table top games we play isn't going to happen.

The mass public will be disappointed to see big giant robots not killing everything in it's wake and explosions going off every 5 minutes. I would love to see a deep, political drama, between warring factions, boiling down into small lance skirmishes every half hour or so eventually leading to full scale attacks. The BT universe is rich with possibility and has so much available canon that any time period could be vastly interesting.

The sad reality is that if something like this was to come out, fans of the series would not be the target audience. Slap the BT/MW name on it and fans will watch it regardless, no matter how mad they are about it. The target audience is the mass audience, and the mass audience couldn't give a rats *** about the BT universe as long as stuff blows up and there is a pretty protagonist and a loathe worthy antagonist.

Still, one can dream.

#13 Moksha Raver

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

A movie would go a long way to introducing the MW universe to a whole new generation. I for one would like to see one done. With the advances in CGI and the rich BT history to work with, I can't see why one can't be made!

#14 Beazle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOahu

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Somebody made a BT cartoon series once.....

It was horrible.

#15 Stimbles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

#16 T FreeLancer

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 66 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA, Earth

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Can't say I'd really wanna see it in that medium. Some graphic novel might be nice though.

#17 Huginn Pryde

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

There was a battletech tv show. http://www.sarna.net...Animated_Series I would love to see a live action tv show or several movies but it would not be cheap to do and that is why they have not made one yet, hopefully in the not to distant future they will make one but I would be happy for another animated tv show as long as the look stays the same and they do not go and make it look super asian or somthing. :(

Edited by Huginn Pryde, 12 June 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#18 ethnic minority

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

I would rather see a Battletech/Mechwarrior anthology-type series, in the same vein as Animatrix or Halo Legends. It allows for multiple writers and animation teams to collaborate without having to worry about storytelling or animation consistency issues across different episodes. It also allows for mixed media, ranging from 3d to traditional animation or heck, even live action (recruit the guys who did the mechcommander intro, seriously!).

Alternatively, the 'clan invasion -> task force serpent' timeline would make for a great series if it had the same pacing and quality as the battlestar galactica remake.

#19 belakor502

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostStimbles, on 12 June 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

My Eyes are Burning! It feels like i just got radioaktive ponypiss in my eyes!

#20 Lonner

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationBoston, Mass

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

If the MechWarrior Cartoon Series had the same action and thrill that EXO-SQUAD had, it would be awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users