- - - - -

How Do I Get More Ammo?

20 replies to this topic

#1 BoompigXD

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

So i'm new to the game, and have found the Mech that i think is perfect for me. The Catapult Mech. Only Problem, i can't figure out how to get more ammo. Is there some special station i need to go to or what?

#2 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

You can't modify the trial mechs because PGI hates new players apparently. However, if you own a mech, you can purchase extra ammo in the mech lab.

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostBoompigXD, on 07 August 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

So i'm new to the game, and have found the Mech that i think is perfect for me. The Catapult Mech. Only Problem, i can't figure out how to get more ammo. Is there some special station i need to go to or what?

To expand on that, there is no method of replenishing spent ammo once in game.

As above, custom mechs allow you to tailor how much ammo you have.

#4 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Ammo comes in 1 ton allotments. If you own this mech (you can't make changes to trial mechs) you can go into the Mechlab and you will need free up 1 ton to add 1 ton of ammo.

There are many ways to do it. Once you have enough money (1.5m c-bills) you can change a mech to double heat sinks (which is necessary to be competitive) and it will free up tonnage for other things like ammo, armor, weapon changes, etc, while still maintaining sufficient cooling.

Once you've played in the mechlab for a while, you'll see how this all works, though it's actually simpler to go to http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ to have access to all the mechs/variants and see what changes you can make within the limits of critical spaces available and tonnage.

#5 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

if youre asking whether you can get more ammo in a match, you can't. Once you run out, that's it until the next match.

#6 BoompigXD

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Thanks! And Dang! Catapult seems to run out of Ammo really quickly for me :lol:

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

If you run out of ammo too soon, you need to modify your mech to carry more ammunition, at the expense of removing something else (or using expensive upgrades to offer more free weight)

you can also be more conservative with your ammunition; don't fire unless you know it is a good lock, you're not doing yourself any favour by firing LRMs into a rock.

What mech are you using and what is your build?

#8 BoompigXD

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 07 August 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

If you run out of ammo too soon, you need to modify your mech to carry more ammunition, at the expense of removing something else (or using expensive upgrades to offer more free weight)

you can also be more conservative with your ammunition; don't fire unless you know it is a good lock, you're not doing yourself any favour by firing LRMs into a rock.

What mech are you using and what is your build?

I'm a new player, i only have 4 trial mechs, and i'm using the Catapult, and somebody told me you can't modify trial mechs

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostBoompigXD, on 07 August 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

I'm a new player, i only have 4 trial mechs, and i'm using the Catapult, and somebody told me you can't modify trial mechs

Fair enough! See point 2:

#10 BoompigXD

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 07 August 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Fair enough! See point 2:

Yeah i know, my only problem is i don't know how the LRM's work (The ones that fly into the air then come down)

Do they only hit if your at a certain distance or do i have to keep my Reticule on them?

#11 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostBoompigXD, on 07 August 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yeah i know, my only problem is i don't know how the LRM's work (The ones that fly into the air then come down)

Do they only hit if your at a certain distance or do i have to keep my Reticule on them?

Good question!

LRMs may be fired without a lock but I do not recommend you do so.

To get a target lock, press R to make them your target, hold the reticule on-target until you get the red concentric circles, and fire. You must then maintain that lock until the missile land, or they will stop tracking to the target. If you lose a lock and then re-acquire the same target lock, the missiles in flight will redirect back to the target. If you switch to a different target they missiles will not redirect.

LRM maximum range is 1000 meters but the missiles have to take an arc to get there; If a target is exactly 1000m away the missiles will probably fall short.

LRM minimum range is 180 meters, below his range they will do 0 damage even if they hit.

Don't be in a rush to fire your LRM as soon as possible; wait until your team is engaging and you know they are keeping a lock for significant periods of time, long enough for your missiles to hit the target.

#12 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Since you are in the trial champion you may want to make sure your firing groups are divided into LRMs and SRMs. Start with the LRMs when you have a target lock within the min-max range for LRMs and use the SRMs for defense.

#13 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

If you like that build, it might be worth it to spring for the C1 or the C4 Catapult - lasers give you really reliable ammo-independent damage.

#14 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostBoompigXD, on 07 August 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Thanks! And Dang! Catapult seems to run out of Ammo really quickly for me :)

You need to be finicky about what you fire at. If it is not NARC'ed, or Tagged, do not bother shooting at any jenner, raven, commando, or cicada. At 150kph, if they are not conveniently running away from you in a straight line, it is hard to inflict any damage worth the trouble of shooting at them. What you want are enemy assault mechs out in the open, or slow heavy mechs. Dragons, quickdraws, trebuchets and centurions can all be difficult targets, but caught away from good cover, they will take worthwhile damage. Some blackjacks can also be too fast to easily hit with missiles.

When you can finally modify the loadout, you will want a TAG of your own, plus a BAP if you can fit it.

If you receive an incoming missile warning you should try to break LOS with the spotter, leave your current location, and (if you are feeling ballsy and no enemy is near) powering down (which will prevent a lock being restored). If you can see the incoming missiles (thus knowing which direction they are coming from) face as close to 90 degrees away from the missiles' path as practical and run towards cover. This will do two things: first, it gets you out of the launchers' LOS in the least time and, secondly, the missiles will hit you on the side and do less damage-- I have tested this by seeing how long a target on the training ground lasts, depending on aspect angle.

#15 kilroyz13

Rookie

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:21 AM

guys getting in on this thread I still don't see any type of buy button to get more ammo. it seems I have plenty of tonnage left over but no ability to buy ammo. I own my mech I am using it isn't a trial. a little confused.

#16 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:31 AM

if you own a mech you can customize it in mechlab buying additional weapon, ammo etc

warehouse tab, also switch to expanded mode and drag-n-drop ammo to your mech

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 28 June 2015 - 04:35 AM.

#17 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

View PostBoompigXD, on 07 August 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Thanks! And Dang! Catapult seems to run out of Ammo really quickly for me :unsure:

Keep in mind that your more then likely missing if you are talking about LRM ammo.

Make sure you keep an eye out for the cross hairs "turning red" when you are tracking your shots. Turning red means a registered hit against the enemy.

Just like any ammo based weaponry, only fire LRM's if you feel you are going to have a good chance of hitting the target, and not just let the missiles fly every time you have a lock. Because more then likely, you are missing with more shots then you are hitting with.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:39 AM

(Though the original post has aged considerably, this advice is still fairly valid for anyone who might be using the trial Catapult).
Are you using the ( C ) variant trial mech, or one that you already own?
The ( C ) Trial (Loadout linked) has 2 tons of Streak ammo (200 missiles fired at its limit of 8 missiles at once) and 5 tons of LRM ammo (900 missiles fired at its limit of 30 per salvo).

It should last you, but perhaps you should try some ammo conservation techniques?
  • Wait a few seconds after the lock before firing LRMs at range (to make sure the target won't be lost and is actively engaged).
  • Never fire LRMs at less than 180 meters (even with Clan LRMs, yes you just have a damage reduction instead of harmless foam darts but it still isn't worth the ammo).
  • If the streaks are what you run out of, try engaging at range first and save the streaks for after you've softened the target significantly.
  • Also consider attacking enemies in groups, as you have no real control over where you plant your damage.
When purchasing a mech, consider both Catapults and Kintaros. Both are heavily compatible with similar loadouts.

In the mean time, some Catapult loving. Catapults; Koniving. Screenshots; Lordred.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 30 June 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:58 AM

View Postkilroyz13, on 28 June 2015 - 04:21 AM, said:

guys getting in on this thread I still don't see any type of buy button to get more ammo. it seems I have plenty of tonnage left over but no ability to buy ammo. I own my mech I am using it isn't a trial. a little confused.

Here you are. By default it will only show ammo for weapons you have already placed on the mech.
Posted Image
This is how it looks if you turn off that option. Note I am using the "EXPANDED" Layout. On the far right where it says "Warehouse," click "Layout" and choose this expanded view for convenience. ^_^
Posted Image

#20 kilroyz13

Rookie

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:44 AM

Koniving.. thanks a bunch.. that worked... was about to pull my hair out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users