What Is The Point Of The Factions?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Quenta

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Is there a point to belonging to a faction?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Not until CW is released eventually.

#3 Chameleon257

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

I've seen a rash of people coming into PUGS and seeing a lot of Lone Wolves. Feeling the need to call these peeps noobs because they haven't picked a faction. I've played a lot and joined Merc corpse but it shows as LNW even still if you're part of a faction and start calling people noobs it just ****** people off and they're sure not to join a faction. Right now like FupDup says it's not really something that matters at the moment... only to some people that have an elitist attitude which never helps the community grow members.

#4 Earl White

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

What I don't get is how come I see hundreds of packs of Lone Wolves, it make no sense to me.

For the Pink Chicken!

#5 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

For me until Factions mean something - and their benefits/disadvantages I stay as a Lone Wolf.

#6 Draco Harkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationIn the good part of Battletech, the tabletop.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostChameleon257, on 28 August 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

I've seen a rash of people coming into PUGS and seeing a lot of Lone Wolves. Feeling the need to call these peeps noobs because they haven't picked a faction. I've played a lot and joined Merc corpse but it shows as LNW even still if you're part of a faction and start calling people noobs it just ****** people off and they're sure not to join a faction. Right now like FupDup says it's not really something that matters at the moment... only to some people that have an elitist attitude which never helps the community grow members.

You must be one of "those" that call a mercenary REGIMENT a clan. How quaint.

View PostQuenta, on 08 August 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Is there a point to belonging to a faction?

Factions are there as lore right now, if any faction sounds right with you by all means join it, but you have alot to choose from IF you even want to choose one at all. Heres some links to some of the major factions.

Federated Suns AKA Davions:
http://www.sarna.net.../Federated_Suns

Draconis Combine AKA Kuritans:
http://www.sarna.net...raconis_Combine

Lyran Commonwealth AKA Steiners:
http://www.sarna.net...an_Commonwealth

Free Worlds League AKA Marikans:
http://www.sarna.net...e_Worlds_League

Free Rasalhague Republic:
http://www.sarna.net...lhague_Republic

Capellan Confederation AKA Capelans:
http://www.sarna.net...n_Confederation

These will be the foremost factions in the current game set, ofc you will have the clans invading in 3049 and there it becomes a little more complicated to explain to a new player who and what they are since they are so complex but i'm at your disposal to help you just PM me and i'll try and shorten it.

Edited by Draco Harkins, 02 September 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#7 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

no, the factions are meaningless untill pgi makes them anything, for now, they are just part of the mixing bowl.

#8 Kes Moreau

• PipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 40 posts
  • LocationJade Falcon Invasion Corridor

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

I have an emblem by my name in the forums and in drops !!! 15 more days to see what lolz will be had. Maybe I'll end up eating crow, if so it'll be welcome & delicious. I imagine it'll be launched, made official but nothing much will change aside from the Beta being dropped and another litany of "miscommunications".

#9 Tark989

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 37 posts
  • LocationGrayling, Michigan

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

The point of factions is the same now as it has ever been. It is the feeling of belonging to something greater than yourself. It is the reason, one of the largest anyway, for people the world over joining military organizations of one kind or another. The thing you may wish to be a part of might be as simple as a single lance, as large as a standing House millitary, or as grand as an entire nation; but the need to belong is what drives the search in the first place.
For myself, I belong to a single unit. I am loyal to the guys facing down the charging enemy, whomever that might be today, right beside me. I belong to a group who will watch my back, even follow me when I do something completely stupid just because they are not going to leave me alone in the teeth of the enemy.
So, what is the point of the factions? If you have to ask that question...there really is not one.

#10 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Right now for me it only has 3 purposes.

1. On the House Marik forum I like to contribute, talk about the Free Worlds League and so forth. So there's the forum community side of things. On this forum sometimes I see that people have questions about the FWL as a faction and I try to help and answer them. This is particularly true since I have a pretty good collection of BT sourcebooks, field manuals and so forth.

2. Going into a match, I do look for fellow "Purple Eagle" players on both teams. Sometimes I actually see someone that I know from the forums.

3. I've experimented with mimicking some of the canon FWLM paint schemes in MWO and posted pics on the forums to share. Right now I don't have any such paint schemes permanently on my mechs but someday I might take that plunge.

That's it. RIght now it has no other significance for me. I'm not part of any specific active unit or anything like that.

#11 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Posted Image

#12 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

At least they are both making good points. :P

#13 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

Which some might argue is an important point.

Also, I would say the community aspect may be important to some players. It certainly enriches my game that I can feel like a part of the Kurita faction here.

#14 Uriah

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

I would have to agree with Kyone.

#15 chaas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'm still a little butt-hurt over the separation of the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth. Last I knew we were in the F-C timeline. Making me choose a side, what is this a war game or someth- Wait, I've just been handed a note. Yes, indeed, this is a war game. Welp....

Bababoey bababoey Howard Stern's pen-

*is hit by a poison dart*

#16 Alexander Steel

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

Yet more... "We're in the Innersphere but we are also Clan!" Groups. Bleh....
I know Wolf's Dragoons are cool and all but people should stop copying them.

Edited by Alexander Steel, 28 February 2014 - 05:09 AM.

#17 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

View Postchaas, on 27 February 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

I'm still a little butt-hurt over the separation of the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth. Last I knew we were in the F-C timeline. Making me choose a side, what is this a war game or someth- Wait, I've just been handed a note. Yes, indeed, this is a war game. Welp....

Bababoey bababoey Howard Stern's pen-

*is hit by a poison dart*
*administers antidote*

Well, think of it as either 1.) selecting which side of the FedCom/AFFC you're coming from (that is, would you have originally been an AFFS MechWarrior or a LCAF MechWarrior before becoming an AFFC MechWarrior), or 2.) which side you would support in the FedCom Civil War (FS = Victor, LC = Katherine). Or a bit of both (1) and (2)...

View PostAlexander Steel, on 28 February 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Yet more... "We're in the Innersphere but we are also Clan!" Groups. Bleh....
I know Wolf's Dragoons are cool and all but people should stop copying them.
Indeed - WD's exposure as closet-Clanners led to too many people wanting to be Gen-Eng ubermensches with souped-up tech & without most/any of the tradeoffs (e.g. Clan cultural norms and the restrictions enforced thereby). :)

#18 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

noting apart from role playing

#19 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

When the clan invasion happens i wonder if the IS is going to unite and we'll then have IS mechs vs clan mech matches. That would be sweet

#20 Losobal

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Except everyone will run clan mechs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users