108 replies to this topic

#41 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostThe Gunman, on 13 August 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

This game as we know it now simply would not be successful in a console format.

Console players are accustomed to shooters that are much faster paced and less complex. These 2 reasons where why MechAssault was fairly successful on consoles and also why it is generally disliked by MechWarrior fans.

Fast paced shooters and consoles? Serious? Faster than MW:O ? Ok I can acknowledge that. But last time I checked out the latest Modern Warfare on my youngest cousin's PS 3 it was still slow as hell compared to the stuff I grew up on as a PC Gamer, namely Q3A. Console shooters to me feel horribly slow because they are optimized for the limitations of thumbstick controllers.

Which brings me to the most prominent reason why porting MW:O to consoles would be A LOT of work. Because you had to redesign the whole feature set and controls with the limitations of console controlers in mind. I know for a fact that currently two thumbsticks and 8 buttons wouldn't be enough to control MW:O.

#42 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:29 AM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 16 August 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Yeah I'm going to guess this game isn't COD. I also fairly certain Shadowrun was the testbed for this theory because the retail version did do cross platform play. Mechwarrior though isn't nearly as twitchy though with every mech having limits to twist speeds and such, unlike say, COD. Of course the lack of keyboard keys might be an issue. Might. Not really sure there.

I wasn't referring to response times (twitchy games). I was referring to the accuracy of the KB/mouse combo in relation to the accuracy of the console controller. I have over ten years of experience playing MW4 with a joystick. I'm accurate enough with my joystick on MW4 that I could pick out a single pixel on your mech and hit it while you run full speed lateral to me. Yet, I know for a fact, using a mouse, I would be able to hold my reticle on target easier and for longer periods of time than I could with my joystick. At least for me anyway, a joystick is much more accurate than a thumb controller. Imagine trying to get a missile lock on a light mech at 5-600 meters while it circles one of your teammates. Your not going to do it with a thumb controller, but most players can do it with a mouse/KB. Then add in all the additional control options the mouse/KB has compared to the console controller. That's why you will not see PC gamers playing with console gamers. Because of the controller interface, the console gamer is at a distinct disadvantage from the very start.

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 17 August 2013 - 04:32 AM.

#43 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

i played the whole closed beta with my xbox 360 Controller till pgi broke it, accuracy was pretty much the same for me, it really just depends on how Long you use something. and the 20 Buttons on the xbox Controller are more than enough for mwo, since you for Chat you are using the Keyboard.

#44 ICUBurn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

View Postmatux, on 16 August 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Of course is coming out on xbox one, why do you think 3PV is coming in...

No kidding. They are just using us to test it for xbox. Launch days gonna have the following message on the homepage... "Thanks for testing the mwo beta. Servers are shutting down at xxxx time. If you enjoyed the game go play it on the new xbox one." Least at this rate with 3pv that no one wanted and all the other stuff theyve been putting in like the seismic heartbeat senser and whatnot.

#45 Pawn Couch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 135 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

I don't know why you would even suggest that, thats probably the worst possible thing that could happen to this game.

PC all the way. If it gets on Steam, even better.

#46 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

To be honest, if this were to go on the Xbox One we would essentially have you... Paying monthly to Play Online... to play a Free to Play Game.

....Where's the logic in this?

#47 dangerzone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a F14-Tomcat

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 16 August 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Yeah, you owned a bunch of consoles. Good for you.

As somebody who actually worked at NVIDIA (did five years on Geforce and Tegra), let me say this is wrong. In fact, except for the PS3 having better hardware than the XBox, it's a flat lie. NVIDIA would have loved to have supplied hardware for the Xbox 360 but due to issues with the original Xbox, Microsoft was less than inclined to work with NVIDIA on the 360. Additionally, all of the 3D Vision stuff NVIDIA has put out requires Tesla or newer hardware. The PS3 used Curie (generation before Tesla), so none of the NVIDIA tech was back-ported. It's all custom Sony tech. PS4 to the best of knowledge does NOT have NVIDIA hardware in it. I'm fairly certain both the PS4 and Xbox One are AMD/ATI end-to-end.

You are talking out of your posterior here. You have absolutely no idea. No one does since nobody has fully spec knowledge of both systems at this time.

As previously stated, PS4 is/will be AMD/ATI powered. MW:O is a Way It's Meant to be Played game, but that only matters on Windows with NVIDIA hardware and drivers. It won't mean anything on the PS4 or Xbox One.

[redacted]

... high five...

Lastly, MechWarrior will NEVER appear on the Playstation. Microsoft owns the IP. Everyone else licenses it with strict guidelines on what's allowed and what isn't. Porting MechWarrior to Playstation, Android, iOS, or any non-Microsoft platform is a huge aint-gonna-happen.

Okay, then where are these OFFICIAL specifications for both consoles coming from? Also, before you go and slander someone's post in that "im a gentleman" manner, do me a favor and save the long winded speeches, and just claim your opinions I am wrong,

You claim you worked for NVIDIA. Good for you. Oh, so lets use your "expertise knowledge" here. You say that Ps4 and XB1 both use AMD/ATI GPUs...ok, well, if NVIDIA never apparently was working on the next gens and you USED to work for NVIDIA then how the hell do you know for a 110% FACT NVIDIA is not doing something for either next gen console? After all. you no longer work there. How do you know what goes on in the company?

As for your "good for you" to my first paragraph, if you had the slightest amount of common sense, you would've noticed I added the prologue to my post to ward of the people that go "ERMAGERD {Noble MechWarrior} shut up!" (I hate those people which is why I made that opening paragraph).

[redacted]

Again, if you paid attention and not jump the gun on "Dude, its never coming to PS anything due to Microsoft owning the IP" [redacted] We all know that. My entire post was a WHAT IF scenario. Stop taking everything you see on the internet so literal.

Weird, if you worked for a company that works alongside game developers and such, wouldn't you have had the common sense and the knowledge to know I was make a hypothetical statement and not putting out [redacted] claims and such? For someone who worked in the gaming industry, you sure are thick headed.

Also, just to prove my point.
PS4 specs: http://www.expertrev...ller-specs-news
XB1 specs: http://www.expertrev...ce-release-date

I eagerly await your response :P

P.S.: Yes, I now know that PS4 doesn't do NVIDIA and instead has AMD. I do not have an issue admitting I am wrong to others. I DO have an issue when someone tries to one up me on a petty forum post about something that will never happen. Just let the damn post be. geez...

Edited by Egomane, 18 August 2013 - 02:40 AM.

#48 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

how do people see this as a bad thing? getting more players ingame is critical, and the 3rd person move would definitely attract console gamers. Forum users here calling console gamers whiny little 10 yr olds is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

MWO has to be successful first though before that could happen, otherwise its not worth the investment. I'm sure PGI have thought about it, given where the license came from.

#49 lizardmech

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostAsmosis, on 18 August 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

how do people see this as a bad thing? getting more players ingame is critical, and the 3rd person move would definitely attract console gamers. Forum users here calling console gamers whiny little 10 yr olds is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

MWO has to be successful first though before that could happen, otherwise its not worth the investment. I'm sure PGI have thought about it, given where the license came from.

Microsoft act too crazy, they could change their mind about free to play or smaller developers and screw over the game after resources have been used to make a xbone version. The other worry would be they like it too much and try to take over the game to turn it into an xbone exclusive abomination like mechassault.

#50 xR1pp3Rx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 200 posts
  • Locationpacific north west

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

not sure if this was mentioned here... but crisis 2 which uses this game engine was originally ported to xbox before it made its PC appearance. the PC crowd was pissed to receive a PC port of an xbox game. until the HD patch and DX11 came along the game looked no different than the xbox version.

#51 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

Mwo in it's current form still seems quite dependant on singlethreaded cpu performance to make it run properly. The xbone has 8 slow cores, I don't see it happening anytime soon, unless they really start cutting stuff.

planetside 2 on the ps4 has the same problem.

#52 Vileslayer

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Let's see if World of Tanks (yes, the ads are already on the Xbox 360 dashboard and beta applications are now open) and Spartacus (already out and downloadable) make money on the Xbox. At the end of the day, it's all about profits. Will there be compromises and trade offs? Probably. Will it be cross-platform? Highly unlikely. Will it translate well? This remains to be seen.

Edited by Vileslayer, 18 August 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#53 Vileslayer

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 17 August 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

I know for a fact that currently two thumbsticks and 8 buttons wouldn't be enough to control MW:O.

The Xbox 360 controller actually has 2 thumbsticks and 16 buttons (the 8 you're thinking of, 2 thumbstick clicks, the Dpad, back and start). I've used the controller for MW:O the PC. It felt weird so I gave it up.

#54 Arbalister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 12 August 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Because Microsoft owns the Mechwarrior IP?

View PostGremlich Johns, on 12 August 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

doesn't matter. They hosed it up before, why give them another chance.

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 12 August 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Because they own the IP which PGI licensed to make the game?

MS owns the rights to make computer games based on the IP. Jordan Weissman licences it back from them, so at this point, he's pretty much the one controlling the IP.

#55 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

Please no. MWO is already dumbed down and limited enough. Don't force it down further to console specs.

#56 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

I would have no problem with it on either of the next gens. I'd likely still do the majority of my "serious" play on my gaming rig, but for some simple drop-ins, why not chill on the couch with a cold beer and the controller and melt face? I may be a newbie to MWO, but I'm not too proud to take a "dumbed-down" console client to just run around in. :P

#57 Byzan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostLonestarrSB, on 12 August 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

If specs are all that matters to you why would you even touch a console?

Edit: btw, Xbone > PS4

you must love kinect then right? Or you want it for the cable TV functions?

I may not get either console because I play on PC but there is no reason at all other than being an xbox fanboi to buy an xbox over a PS4. As a gaming platform the ps4 blows the xbo away and is $100 less. the console is better/more powerful, the controller is better, it looks cooler, it hasn't had to backtrack on all it's release specs and overclock to desperately increase it's power.

in the past console wars have been interesting but so far the ps4 has hit the xbox out of the park.

the only thing i'd look into with the ps4 is the pay for online multiplayer service. if I was getting a ps4 id actually find more about what that means as far as an ongoing cost. The rest PS4 wins, generally no one really gives a crap about the kinect. Major releases will be pretty much even and ps4 looks like it's embraced inde gaming in a big way.

if it wasn't obvious enough that MS has been in a desperate scramble to change and fix the XBone package since announcement.

#58 dj_

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

I would love to see it on Xbox. I want to see PGI make money. Screaming 10 year olds turn adults. Future fans = longevity of mechwarrior. That would be good in my opinion.

#59 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Posted Image

Conceptually I agree that having the game get to a bigger audience is only a good thing. That said, as people have pointed out the consoles don't usually allow cross-platform multiplayer so while the appeal would be wider it wouldn't help the in game population levels, and might even risk splitting the population.

The other major sticking point is that they are months if not a year behind schedule on features like community warfare, and still having fundamental hit detection issues. If it comes out that they've diverted engineering resources to port the game before actually finishing the game they promised the founders, that risks bad PR.

Edited by Tolkien, 16 November 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#60 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

@ OP

MW:O on Xbone or PS4

Nightmare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users