Bitching Betty (Expand Dialogue & Configure Warnings)

69 replies to this topic

Poll: MWO POLL (302 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like increased dialogue for Bitching Betty?

1. Voted Yes (285 votes [94.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 94.37%

2. No (17 votes [5.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Would you like the option to configure what warnings you get from Bitching Betty?

1. Voted Yes (279 votes [92.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 92.38%

2. No (23 votes [7.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Adamski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

I would love an Incoming Airstrike / Artillery Strike, but PGI has the flight time for those set stupid low, so Betty wouldn't have time to say the line before they were hitting.

So count me in if PGI gets their head out of their ******.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

Just throwing this in...

Computer voices from MW2, 3, 4, and MWO closed beta (unreleased betty)

The current MWO actress is the same as MW2.

Other computer voice related vids.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 26 May 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#23 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

I read somewhere on the forums someone suggested we get a butler voice for the gold mechs. I'm so down for that idea. Sir? The peasants are shooting you. Sir? The peasants are now throwing stones.

Think Jarvis smart-assed tone ^_^

#24 Anvil ZA

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

I support this totally, especially the option to only hear what you what.

There is a lot of useful info that gets overlooked in the middle of a fierce fight. The one I want most is a warning when you are under enemy ecm ("Why aren't my pugging team shooting this guy?!?! He's like, RIGHT HERE! Oh, *derp* he has ecm..."). An audible warning like "Low Signal" or "Sensors Compromised" would be useful. Also, +1 for a weapon door status update. If you are in thermal/night vision, the door indicator light becomes useless.

#25 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

This would (unfortunately) mean that PGI would have to hire & pay the voice actress, pay a recording studio, and pay a recording engineer to do all of these things, which as of right now...well....I can't even imagine how low on their list "adding more dialogue" is.

#26 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

It would also be nice if Betty would tell us if an ECM Mech is jamming us. "Jamming in progress" for example.

#27 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 12 August 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

The developers should seriously consider adding more dialogue to Bitching Betty, such as:

Enemy Mech Destroyed
Chain Fire Engaged
Group Fire Engaged
Mission Successful
Mission Failed
Weapon Door Open
Weapon Door Closed
Arm Lock Engaged
Arm Lock Disabled
Enemy Power-Up Detected
Internal Ammo Explosion Detected

Furthermore, players should be allowed to configure what audible warnings we get from Bitching Betty (checkbox list in the Options Menu). Thoughts/Opinions?

Yes so long as it's configurable. I'd also get rid of new mech targetted if not configurable because it seems so repetitive.

#28 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

Paging George Ledoux...George Ledoux...you can be my Duncan Fisher any day. :)

Seriously, I would pay money for a Duncan Fisher voice pack in my 'Mech!

#29 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

"way point reached"

i suggested the drop ship and the defend assult missions months ago

#30 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

If only they could just grab the mw4 voice files...

#31 Grey Rabbit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:43 AM

I think that I've read somewhere that the devs were concerned about adding too many things to say, which makes sense from a programming point of view.

What I'd really like to see is them take out the absolutely useless jump jet warnings that only sometimes tell me that I'm at 25% when I'm actually at 0% and plummeting to the ground by the time she spits it out.

I want them to put in "Target destroyed" when a targeted contact gets destroyed. This would let me know if a contact that I have no LoS to is down or just around the corner from the team mate that I'm running to assist. "Spotter destroyed" may be either useful or too far in that situation, I don't know. General awareness of the battlefield helps to negate this situation, but a helper voice would let us focus on more important matters sometimes.

-Rabbit

#32 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:53 AM

For the "internal ammo explosion detected" warning... that would only really make sense if there was a way to surpress ammo cook-offs...
well at least the "oh, i´ll be dead in 2 seconds" moment would be funny for a while ;)

Edited by Alex Warden, 14 June 2014 - 04:53 AM.

#33 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hey guys, was exploring the FMOD sound banks and the following are in the current (clans) patch. but not yet integrated:

-Scout target info incoming
-Weapon Jammed
-Warning! Targeted (I can see how this might get annoying)
-Enemy Detected
-Out of range
-Friendly base is being captured (Useful for Conquest
-Overheating

And a whole mess of lance/company leader voice commands (not Betty)

Also, I imagine it would be SUPER easy for them to make "Target Destroyed" by editing together parts of "[Weapon] Destroyed" and "Target Acquired" I just did it in like two seconds, here's hoping it makes it in. Would be amazing.

When this stuff gets integrated: sh*t's gunnna be gooooooood

EDIT: OH GOOD GOD THERE IS A FILE FOR "EJECT"
YES PLEASE

Edited by xeromynd, 18 June 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#34 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

Betty already annoys me with her warnings. Even when she says "critical damage" she says it a nice pleasant matter as if to troll me! So yes choosing what she says would be nice

#35 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

From what I remember, insert these lines in place for posterity to appease the older players to these type of conditions in the game:

Upon UAV usage, After spotting(let's say...) three or more enemy Mechs from an individual Mech:
"Mech Power-up Detected"
ECM toggle:
"ECM Disruptor Engaged/Disengaged" -OR- "ECM Disruptor Engaged/ECM Counter Engaged"
I don't remember if ECM ever had it's own dialogue, but MASC did. So with ECM so common and important
in this game, ECM should have its own lines.
ECM disruption:
"ECM disrupted."
Full Ammo Depletion:
"Ammo Depleted"
Should be said very quickly.
Destroying an Enemy Mech:
"Target Destroyed"
Targeting another Enemy(in the past Hostiles and Allies):
"Targeting"
I believe this would be the most annoying line that could be present in MWO.
This should probably be optional then.

#36 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

They would go for extra dialog, but asking for configuration options probably doesn't appeal to the devs. It costs money to do this stuff, I would be happy enough with just the extra dialog. Let's not bust their balls about this eh?

#37 Flying Fox 333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

Am in agreement with most of the above. I felt before the clans were released that PGI should utilise George Ledoux as the bitching Bob for the clan mechs. Obviously not Duncan Fisher, but perhaps a Kerensky-eske kind of voice. Carole Ruggier can continue to be used on IS battlemechs. I feel it just helps separate them and give each side a unique flavour.

Edited by Flying Fox 333, 03 August 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#38 FIRESTORM91

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

This doesn't really fit in with Betty itself (as in there's nothing spoken) but a tone that plays when someone has a lock on you would be nice. Like in MW2 when someone got a missile lock on you a loud klaxon went off. That coupled with Betty would be pretty awesome and would help you know when someone has designated you for destruction.

#39 s0hno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

Wow, I'm surprised about the many "yes" votes - the vocal feedback is actually one of the few things at the current state of the game which I'm totally contempt about. So many other things that seem more important to me ^^

#40 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

Greetings all,

From PGI, when they originally did the sound recordings for 'Betty' they ran a second session to add content.
- Quite a bit of what was recorded has not been made available yet.
- Mostly due to future content not being ready or in the game yet.

So, there are (as the earlier post stated) lots of notices and warning that we haven't heard or seen used yet.
- At some point with all the commands/warnings the Pilot can suffer from 'information overload'.
- This would be where PGI would need to allow for on/off selections in Betty's comments, not everything she says is always needed by the Pilot. Some of this info will eventually be 'displayed', so adding a verbal comment would/may not be necessary.

We've all seen at some point that the comments made by Betty can be 'a little too late' by the time the Pilot gets the message.
- Detection range for anything attacking or effecting the 'Mech may need to be extended, just to give the sound bite time to 'spool up' and complete its dialogue. This doesn't need to change anything else in the 'Mechs sensors, all background code, specifically for the 'Betty bites'. (no pun intended, well maybe.)
- With the advent of Ts arriving, perhaps PGI may be able to streamline some of the in-game sound, matching events closer to there required warning event. (were all about to see how that will be working.)

Just some observations,
9erRed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users