597 replies to this topic

#1 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

So here's an article by GameFront worth THREE pages about what's happening between our community and PGI: ->>LINK<<-

So, it breaks down every single aspect of what happened so far that led many (me included) to distrust PGI in developing MWO. I still have a little faith that this kind of news will make them realize that launch won't do anything good to the game, but here's a list of the most notable passages (imho).

"Ghost Heat is a system in which players receive penalties to heat generation (that is, they generate more heat) if they fire more than a certain number of weapons of the same type at a time. But the system shipped with a number of problems.

First, it is completely undocumented in the game itself and incredibly newbie unfriendly; only those that read the forums are familiar with the feature, and even then, they only received data about how the system worked after harassing PGI for more details. Second, Ghost Heat hurts ‘Mechs that relied on large alphas of low-damage weapons: ‘Mechs like the Hunchback 4P, whose strategy is to “boat,” or equip as many of certain weapons as possible. Third, the system ended up being applied to weapons that didn’t need a nerf thanks to their already low viability, like the Autocannon/2 or Long-Range Missile/10."

And then it follows

"So far, however, #SaveMWO has been unsuccessful. The only developer to directly respond to the group was Garth Erlam, the PGI community manager, and one of the few high-profile PGI employees well-liked by the community. His responses were the community manager standard of “Passing this on up the chain.” A number of staff members not directly involved in development responded to the movement, but their reactions were a bit more terse and combative. One community moderator likened the movement to a “little rebellion,” and forum moderator Niko Snow took issue with negativity in the thread, consigning it to a subforum for “bad threads” known as Kaetaetoa, rather than cleaning out troll posts."

And then again:

"After the patch that included third-person view was set live, the forums exploded in what can only be described as a mushroom cloud of hate. The responses to the patch notes were overwhelmingly negative, and countless threads sprang up slandering PGI. Users began changing their forum signatures to mock PGI’s competence, trolls openly started flame wars, and every developer post was met with a degree of hostility that — while not quite as bad as the likes of Call of Duty players (NSFW) — boggled the mind in its totality."

And mostly notable:

At the end of this long history is one question: Does the Mechwarrior Online community have the right to be so angry?

The answer: absolutely.

And finally:

"Mechwarrior Online’s road to launch is a cautionary consumer tale, fraught with anger and betrayal. It shows how a company can take a fan base dedicated to an old IP and completely alienate it through lack of communication, unpopular features, and oathbreaking. It shows how players need to be cautious of supporting a project based solely on the IP backing it."

I'll leave any futher comment to the rest of the article for you to read and to discuss about it here. I wonder if PGI is aware of what press is talking about them, given Russ's "apology" and the pseudo September "lallalallalalal I don't hear anything" Developer Update... I fear not or a little.

Edited by John MatriX82, 30 August 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#2 Protection

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Wonder how long the "In the news" subforum will last once the 5.5/10 reviews start pouring in.

#3 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostProtection, on 30 August 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Wonder how long the "In the news" subforum will last once the 5.5/10 reviews start pouring in.

That's quite a bit of a question.. and we both already know the answer. Unfortunately.

#4 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

You reap what you sow. Enjoy your harvest, PGI.

#5 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Article is true.

And burns.

#6 jozkhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

reality finally intrudes

#7 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Although the article seems a bit one-sided, it has most of its facts right. And that is what is the sad thing about it.

The conclusion shows perfectly what happened to the game we had so high hopes for:

Mechwarrior Online’s road to launch is a cautionary consumer tale, fraught with anger and betrayal. It shows how a company can take a fan base dedicated to an old IP and completely alienate it through lack of communication, unpopular features, and oathbreaking. It shows how players need to be cautious of supporting a project based solely on the IP backing it.
Most depressingly, it shows how you can’t always trust a developer to keep its promises.

#8 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Spot on really. Not the best written article ever. But it's true on all accounts.

Such a waste.

#9 wolf raider

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostRedDragon, on 30 August 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Although the article seems a bit one-sided

I'm sure the writer would have loved to give PGI's side of the story. Unfortunately PGI isn't talking, which is the entire problem.

#10 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

View Postwolf raider, on 30 August 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

I'm sure the writer would have loved to give PGI's side of the story. Unfortunately PGI isn't talking, which is the entire problem.

The Silent Majority speaks. His words are wise and his pockets deep; he is... agreeing with the Vocal Minority. Nevermind... he's clearly not the target demographic =P

On a more serious note, I'm worried this is all we're going to see come review day: game hasn't changed from initial impressions, developers have pissed off community, game has a horrible new player experience.

Don't die, MWO =[

#11 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Posted Image

#12 Avalios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I hate ghost heat more then 3PV, but to each his own. Article is very accurate.

#13 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Want to bet PGI's response if any will be along the lines of...

Gamefront is on an island!

Which is correct in the sense that this planet we all live on could be termed an island.

#14 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostAbivard, on 30 August 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Want to bet PGI's response if any will be along the lines of...

Gamefront is on an island!

Which is correct in the sense that this planet we all live on could be termed an island.

Technically we all live on islands, they're called continents. PGI was just the first to make that broad of a generalization, kind of like the generalization of their target demographic.....

#15 Pacifist

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

To think 2 weeks ago this could have all been averted with a couple lines of code.

#16 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

A few days after the patch, PGI President Russ Bullock issued an apology letter to the community. This letter is notable for a number of reasons. First, it is a massive wall of text that is very difficult to read.

http://www.cabn.ca/e...dian-burn-units

Edited by Royalewithcheese, 30 August 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#17 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

This seems like a well-researched article so far, it sounds like they really did their homework on this one and read up on recent topics (even contacting players) instead of just a general buzz of "Sounds like MWO players are mad, what's up with that?" or "Third person made players upset, interesting."

They're also not afraid to point out that, six months ago, we were nowhere near this level of dissatisfaction. A lot of newcomers or "white knights" and even PGI's own art department do like to say that everybody's just a "hater" or something, as if there was not some very clear and deliberate descent into anger and frustration on account of PGI's decisions and actions.

#18 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 30 August 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

The Silent Majority speaks. His words are wise and his pockets deep; he is... agreeing with the Vocal Minority. Nevermind... he's clearly not the target demographic =P

On a more serious note, I'm worried this is all we're going to see come review day: game hasn't changed from initial impressions, developers have pissed off community, game has a horrible new player experience.

Don't die, MWO =[

possible (but not very plausible) case scenario: MWO dies, huge petition occurs to ask Chris Roberts to build a new mechwarrior game.

Personally, I wish I was a millionaire who could get his own studio to rebuild MWO from scratch. If I could, I'd use the same art, and basic gameplay, but redo everything else. Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the money... someday, maybe...

#19 StandingCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Very fair and well written article there. *sigh*

#20 Mista Whizzard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 30 August 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Don't die, MWO =[

This is the last thing that we want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users