Gameskinny: Game Review

14 replies to this topic

#1 nitra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

http://www.gameskinn...-release-review

pretty simple review with a lot of positive over tones.

although im left wondering if he has actually used trial mechs but other wise than that some
positive press.

#2 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

This is a ridiculous review. I'm all in favor of mentioning the many positives MWO gameplay has, but they have to be real. The argument that trial mechs or default loadouts are "more then enough" to be effective on the battlefield is absurd, and has been from day one in MWO.

#3 Gedarn

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

I think next time he does a review he should actually play the game first.
It should be noted that he is positive about the game just wish he would get the correct facts first. Unlike what he said, no you don't have to spend cash to own and customise a mech.

Untruthfull positive press is no better than bad press.

Edited by Gedarn, 03 September 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#4 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

Apart from the trial mech comments I agree with the review.
I would give it 9/10 Iam loving it even after over 2100 matches.

#5 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

Well..

technically the trial mechs are completely viable. I can do rather well in them. (Does viable mean good? Hell no.)
Also, there's usually a (C) mech in there somewhere, which makes the trials more bearable.

----------------------

My one real complaint though is that he stressed that you have to buy mechs with real cash, and mentioned, almost offhandedly, that C-bills were used to buy mechs and equipment. Maybe I heard that wrong, but I think that would do more damage to the title than anything else.. lol

#6 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

View Postnitra, on 02 September 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

pretty simple review with a lot of positive over tones.

"The mechs that are free to play?" Yeah, that's all of them except the Hero and Champion variants.

Sounds more like a white knight than any serious attempt at a review. :)

#7 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Sad that the only overall positive press is so very inaccurate or biased.

The real best press any game can get is from popular net or gaming personalities.

Yet... I can go watch Total Biscuit's video on playing MWO and see comments about how PGI's developers are incompetent.

Need less idiots insulting the game and more positive and objective press from even just let's players.

#8 Andodx

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

To be Honest, the most recent MWO "lets play" from Total Biscuit was a chore to watch.

I tried to follow it while he had it up on Twitch, I only lasted 15min on that one, and the only thing that stuck with me was Joe screaming like an angry **** (as expected i guess :)) the PGI guy (idc who ever that was) doing his job and abuse the opportunity to market MWO to the viewers and TB totally out of Character. So, for me, everything below that "lets play" is on paar with the content of the video...

#9 Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Right now, in the land of positive MWO press resonance:

#10 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

next time this guy should actually play the game before he reviews it so he knows what he is talking about.

#11 Zphyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

MWO does need all the positive review it can get its hands on.

The Atlas pilot has no clue about neither optimal nor maximum distance. It has, however, unlocked the arms... so he or she is probably not that new (no idea if it's the reviewer playing). It's a valid opinion, but giving the game a 9 out of 10 is way over the top... specially by what he said himself in a monotonic voice.

About the trials, they aren't bad... they just aren't good either. In the hands of someone who know what they are doing, they can be very viable. But in a newbie's? Eh... good luck not overheating inside that glass armor.

Edited by Zphyr, 03 September 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#12 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

And more .. although i wonder were the 10% number comes from

http://gamerant.com/...ate-orion-mech/

#13 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 03 September 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Well..

technically the trial mechs are completely viable. I can do rather well in them. (Does viable mean good? Hell no.)
Also, there's usually a © mech in there somewhere, which makes the trials more bearable.

----------------------

My one real complaint though is that he stressed that you have to buy mechs with real cash, and mentioned, almost offhandedly, that C-bills were used to buy mechs and equipment. Maybe I heard that wrong, but I think that would do more damage to the title than anything else.. lol

Sometimes I put nothing but four medium pulse lasers on a Dragon and score a lot of kills. Medium pulse lasers are awful, and Dragons are worse. It's intellectually dishonest to pretend trial mechs are useful outside of the shallow end of the pool where the week-old players --also trapped in trial mechs-- fight each other during amateur hour.

#14 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

The franchise will be saved by positive reviews such as this one.

It has OVER 100 views since September began.

:)

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostBoymonkey, on 03 September 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

Apart from the trial mech comments I agree with the review.
I would give it 9/10 Iam loving it even after over 2100 matches.

So in your honest unbiased opinion this game is one of the greatest games of all-time in it's current state? This game is just as good or better than: gta, injustice, CoD, madden, command and conquer, mw2 3 & 4, assasins creed series, batman arkham series, star wars knight old republic, fallout 2, skyrim, halo..... come on now. This game as is cannot be reviewed on features that may or may not be added in the future gameplay as is 5-6 everything else concerning this game 2-4 and anything to do with the way it has been handled, pr, communication etc. quickly slipping lower than even that :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users