New Game Mode: Search And Destroy

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Is this something you would play? (79 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this something you would play?

1. Yes. (76 votes [96.20%])

Percentage of vote: 96.20%

2. No (3 votes [3.80%])

Percentage of vote: 3.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Maps: Works on all maps

Additional Visuals: Minor

Additional Coding: Average to Extensive.

Type: Asymmetric

Teams are divided with one team set to Destroying the other to Defending. What would you be defending? Physical assets on the map. How would they be destroyed? Direct fire or missile locks with a tag or narc.

Challenge: Attacking the enemy mechs only will cause you to lose as time to objective expires quickly. Defending the assets will give you the advantage of splitting your opponents attention between the assets they need to destroy and you.

An example on River City.
The Defending team starts on the high side. The scenario is an evacuation of the town as mechs drop on the low side intent on causing civilian casualties. People are being evacuated from the area commonly referred to as upper city. They are leaving a few buildings and can be seen as people milling in the streets outside & cars. They are attempting to get across the bridge to the drop ship. Additionally people are in the lower city area attempting to get into the bunker area under the drop ship. The are also in vehicles and small dots on the ground showing activity.

Defenders Objectives: Repel the attack (kill all enemy mechs.); Protect The Drop Ship (100% fail); Protect the civilian buildings for 6 minutes. (Bonus Objectives).

Attackers Objectives: Kill civilians(bonus objectives), destroy drop ship before it takes off after 10 minutes (main objective). Specifically Omitted is killing 100% of the enemy team (the drop ship is more important than killing a few straggling mechs)

The buildings 2-3 that must be destroyed would be marked on the map and have the visual indications of coming and going transports, and people. Destroying these buildings would cause them to smoke and burn similar to a defeated mech. No physical changes to the geography would result. Buildings would be more vulnerable to burning so flamers would do extra damage to them giving flamers a reason to exist at least in this mode.

The Drop Ship would be where it is on the landing pad and it would take lots of damage before being destroyed. Obviously sight lines to the drop ship would be important as would defending them. Again because the drop ship has a lot of HP simply standing in upper city and blasting it while the defenders blast back at you is sub optimal. Destroying it could trigger some explosion animations and game over.

Scoring:

Winning and Losing are still 300XP and 100XP points respectively.

The Bonus Objectives are a further 100XP points each. So a win with all objective intact would be 500XP, and a loss with both bonus objectives would be 300XP. Worth thinking about.

Additionally 25K C-bills for each objective completed.
Defenders could earn 100k C-bills for winning and destroying all mechs.
Attackers could earn up to 75K cbills for destroying both side objectives and the drop ship. This is asymmetrical on purpose because the loser can still earn 50K cbills for taking the side objectives and not getting the drop ship. The winner would only get 25K if time expired. So it's like this on purpose.

I like the concept but what about other maps?
Most Maps have some sort of physical terrain to fight over, and Points of interest where the conquest points are. Where there is nothing worth fighting for it's simply a matter of adding a bunker or a machine on that point so that there is an indicator of what to attack.

Examples:
Alpine defend the strategic base(main) located on the high side of the valley, and protect some powered down mechs(secondary) at the bases where epsilon and kappa are.

Terra Therma Protect science teams in the caldera on the platform and in a second place (Secondary) while holding your base of operations (Main)

Forest Colony Protect the Mine Enterance (Main) while you protect the Ship Supplies(at the ship), and Mining Colony (near the cave area)

Basically it goes on like that. You protect the side objectives for 4-6 minutes and the match is over in 10 if it's stalemated.

#2 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

HammerSwarm this is great. PGI, This is a serious attempt to introduce mission objectives within existing maps, please listen.

#3 Grey Rabbit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Yes, absolutely I would play this mode. This is especially perfect for a scenario track system(like in the books) that is too wishful thinking for this game as the last battle over a fallen planet in CW.

The game books have scenarios that could have a lot of options for variations that I'd like to see as game mode types. It's funny how so many people just want to do stand up fights but complain that other things aren't MW enough(capping, weapon-or-mech-of-the-month, etc). The stuff in the Hammer's post is it. It is a combat scenario for our robot combat simulator.

I've been working out a breakthrough scenario like in the books for a while, maybe someday I'll get around to fleshing it out more.

Good job with this one. I hope more people need to think up this stuff.
-Rabbit

#4 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

PGI, please implement this it would be amazing and make the game so much more enjoyable than the current slugfest/stand in the shiny square games that we have ATMO. I would love to play this form of game.

#5 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

I want this.

#6 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

Nice to see some attention on game modes. I think more than the balance issues with weapons and mechs (which are very slight now IMO) this game needs maps and game modes to keep it fresh. I love how the Orion looks and all, but I'd like to see a different type of match in this game more than I wanted to see the Orion. And believe me, I wanted to see the Orion.

#7 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostVoivode, on 05 September 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

Nice to see some attention on game modes. I think more than the balance issues with weapons and mechs (which are very slight now IMO) this game needs maps and game modes to keep it fresh. I love how the Orion looks and all, but I'd like to see a different type of match in this game more than I wanted to see the Orion. And believe me, I wanted to see the Orion.

My dream would be enough game modes where you could have a mosh pit mode where you would drop into random game types. This was my favorite type of queue in several other FPS games and I'd love to see MWO have that sort of diversity.

#8 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

Theme song?

#9 GroovYChickeN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 09 September 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

Theme song?

Dang, beat me too it.

#10 MightyBolamite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

The modes as they are, are so boring; almost anything would be an improvement.

This, at least, is thought out enough to be useful. I could see myself having a lot of fun with this.

#11 Dr Roshima

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

Bump because of awesomeness

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users