Film Grain / Depth Of Field / Field Of View

83 replies to this topic

Poll: Interest Meter (345 member(s) have cast votes)

Film Grain

1. I am in favor of complete removal of Film Grain. (138 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. I am in favor of optional removal of Film Grain. (207 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Depth of Field

1. I am in favor the option to turn Depth Of Field off completely. (156 votes [45.22%])

Percentage of vote: 45.22%

2. I am in favor the option to turn Depth Of Field seperately to it's lowest allowed setting. (189 votes [54.78%])

Percentage of vote: 54.78%

Field Of View

1. I just want a Field Of View slider in the options menu. (223 votes [64.64%])

Percentage of vote: 64.64%

2. I would like to set the Field Of View per individual Mech Chassis. (122 votes [35.36%])

Percentage of vote: 35.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

EDIT: Poll Petition like "Interest Meter" added September 16th

The September 3rd patch apparently broke the use of user.cfg's, and Film Grain removal.

After launching I noticed extremely pronounced tiny static swirling all over my screen. I had to lower the Sharpness setting on my new monitor just to make it less of a distraction. Which just make the game even more hazy.

1. Please, once and for all time, let us toggle the Film Grain off in the options setting!

2. Also, please let us have a Depth of Field slider in options menu as well. Let us be able to adjust it as low as "r_DepthOfField = 1" (your lowest normally allowed setting) without us having to set all of the Post Processing effects to "low"

3. Plus a cockpit Field of View slider in the options menu would be absolutely wonderful as well.
EDIT: Eventually, I would like to set this per each owned Mech. However a general slider I can change on the fly in the options menu would be greatly appreciated in the short term.

All of the above added immensely to my overall enjoyment of your game, which has now been entirely snuffed out due to the September 3rd patch.

View PostFunky Bacon, on 06 December 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

Just gonna put these here.

Posted Image

With filmgrain / Before filmgrain.

Posted Image

As you can see, Filmgrain makes the game look horrible. especially when taking screenshots.

(if the images does not work, then try this link. https://www.dropbox....a0i8/EBdRkZD0Ut)

Edited by Grey Ghost, 25 January 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Please, PLEASE, for the love of all that is holy please let us remove the film grain. It's horribly distracting, the swirly dots.

I'll never understand the film grain crazy and why it gets put into games, but at least give us the option to turn it off.

#3 Xaims Andrews

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 04 September 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

The September 3rd patch apparently broke the use of user.cfg's, and Film Grain removal.

After launching I noticed extremely pronounced tiny static swirling all over my screen. I had to lower the Sharpness setting on my new monitor just to make it less of a distraction. Which just make the game even more hazy.

1. Please, once and for all time, let us toggle the Film Grain off in the options setting!

2. Also, please let us have a Depth of Field slider in options menu as well. Let us be able to adjust it as low as "r_DepthOfField = 1" (your lowest normally allowed setting) without us having to set all of the Post Processing effects to "low"

3. Plus a cockpit Field of View slider in the options menu would be absolutely wonderful as well.

All of the above added immensely to my overall enjoyment of your game, which has now been entirely snuffed out due to the September 3rd patch.

Agree with all of this. PGI, why do you insists on breaking things right before release? Film Grain drops my FPS by 5-10 and also gives me a headache due to trying see through the blurry images created by this horrible affect. Please provide options to change settings in the game menus before removing the ability to use a customized user.cfg.

#4 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

I for one agree with this. Please let us remove it OR just remove it your selves.

#5 oldhasu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

+++

Please remove instagram from my robots ;)

#6 Rabcor

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 53 posts
  • LocationReyljavik (Cus it's cooler than Reykjavík)

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

Agree 100% with OP, what is this 1998? why is the default FoV 60 when it should be 70?

also i personally like my fov at 75, thats sortof a sweetspot for me before i start noticing the mech's interior getting all stretched (fisheye view) etc.

More importantly though, give us an option to toggle sunshafts on or off!! if you judge the option as unstable or experimental, just type that in a "()" next to the option so players know before turning it on..

Are we asking too much here?

#7 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Ugh! Friggin film grain hurts my eyes. Can't stand staring at that s***!
Why game developers even bother putting junk like that in games is beyond me. (with the exception of things like an effect for "in game camera drones" and in "horror games")

#8 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

Dof sucks in all games. even rome total war 2 looks 10 times better with it off. the real world isnt all grainy either. whoever invented this effect must have serious vision problems.

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 05 September 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#9 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 05 September 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

Dof sucks in all games. even rome total war 2 looks 10 times better with it off. the real world isnt all grainy either. whoever invented this effect must have serious vision problems.

This. I can see using DoF for "Screen Archery"; when you're looking for that perfect screen shot like a composed photograph, but outside of that, NO, NOT EVER.

It baffles me. I often wonder if game developers all have terrible eyesight. When I look around, nothing is blurry, ever, at any range. Worse, DoF inevitably leads to weird situations where what the game things you're focusing on is not what you're actually trying to focus on. I don't need help with that - I can focus on what I want to focus on just fine - I certainly don't want to feel like I have to aim my crosshairs at random {Scrap} to get the focal distance I want.

Film grain? The {Scrap} is up with that? Does anyone like that? I don't want my game to look like a movie, not that I see film grain in modern movies! I want it to look like I'm sitting in a Battlemech.

When I first started playing this game, that was one of the first questions I asked. "Are the developers all blind? Why is this game so blurry and grainy? How can I fix it?"

I've had my film grain fix in ever since then, and had forgotten how annoying it was =/

#10 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

Is this why I"m getting BLue Rectangles today when I was doing Testing Grounds on Forest Colony today?

Can someone post pictures of this Film Grain? I only noticed it on some maps... I was wondering if its the same thing...

Posted Image

Edited by LORD TSARKON, 05 September 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#11 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:15 AM

View PostLORD TSARKON, on 05 September 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Is this why I"m getting BLue Rectangles today when I was doing Testing Grounds on Forest Colony today?

Can someone post pictures of this Film Grain? I only noticed it on some maps... I was wondering if its the same thing...

Posted Image

I get this on the training grounds also.

It seems like a shader problem for the X-trees in the forest training grounds map as thats what it sort of looks like if you reload the shaders mid-match.

Normal forest map I don't get this blue squares.

So basically its either because the traininggrounds map is slightly different (doesnt use the same trees over tehre for some reason & the settings for them are different), or maybe thats just the sprites and for some reason they showing up blue. (if you walk close to those blue squares they vanish when closer & you see the trees.....at least to me)

Either way something is going on there, tho its not really a big problem.....

To the OP tho, yeah I hate film grain and overuse of DoF and Bloom / HDR effects. There should always be a toggle & sliders in the options menu for these types of things so people can set their own PERSONAL PREFERENCE. :(

Done correctly they can look good and not distracting etc (DoF and HDR effects), however when you go overboard it just ruins everything......unless of course your going for those perfect screenshots that look like a camera took them etc like another poster already mentioned......

#12 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Edited the main post in regards to Field of View. I'd eventually like to be able to set the FoV per each of my owned Mechs. At 1920x1200 I find FoV=80 feels perfect in an Atlas, but in a Mech like the new Orion FoV=78 seems better. The pilot viewpoint seems to change ever so slightly between different Mech models.

Edited by Grey Ghost, 07 September 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#13 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

I too would like this reverted.

Edited by Volume, 07 September 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#14 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

is there a depth of field in this game? if there is its hardly noticeable

also about user.cfg i am still able to limit my FPS to 50

Edited by Jin Ma, 08 September 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#15 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostJin Ma, on 08 September 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

is there a depth of field in this game? if there is its hardly noticeable

You should be able to tell the difference between min/max Post Processing. If you still don't see any blur, well I have no response.

#16 9H3X6

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

Played many months with with tweaked user.cfg, Sweetfx, and film grain fix per recommendations @
http://mwomercs.com/...e/page__st__120

Static is back! :lol:
Feel like I need to toy with the bunny ears or give the TV a good hit!

Also seem to be getting hard FPS drops since patch. Perhaps not the just the film grain...could be other user.cfg tweaks not working. Not sure. Have i7, 6GB RAM, ATI 7870.

If anyone has solution on removing film grain or a functional user.cfg please share.

PGI. Enjoy this game. Please give option. Static = on , Static = off.

Thanks!

#17 AndyHill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hello people. I didn't notice a poll on this so I made one here: http://mwomercs.com/...grain-optional/

Let me know if one already exists and I'll try to delete that. If not, please advertize so that it gets some attention and perhaps even someone at PGI to consider the option.

As a bonus here's a pic for this thread, should give you an idea of what film grain does: Posted Image

#18 TekGnosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

I had happily been gaming without a headache after removing the horribad 'film grain' layer between me and the game.

Now, I have a headache again. Thanks for that. Also... why are we hiding game assets under a deliberate blurry texture??? WHY?

#19 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostAndyHill, on 16 September 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

Hello people. I didn't notice a poll on this so I made one here: http://mwomercs.com/...grain-optional/

Is that mandatory for this sub-forum? I added your picture to the top post.

#20 AndyHill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

I don't know if it's mandatory or not, but I thought it'd be interesting to have one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users