Film Grain / Depth Of Field / Field Of View

83 replies to this topic

Poll: Interest Meter (345 member(s) have cast votes)

Film Grain

1. I am in favor of complete removal of Film Grain. (138 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. I am in favor of optional removal of Film Grain. (207 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Depth of Field

1. I am in favor the option to turn Depth Of Field off completely. (156 votes [45.22%])

Percentage of vote: 45.22%

2. I am in favor the option to turn Depth Of Field seperately to it's lowest allowed setting. (189 votes [54.78%])

Percentage of vote: 54.78%

Field Of View

1. I just want a Field Of View slider in the options menu. (223 votes [64.64%])

Percentage of vote: 64.64%

2. I would like to set the Field Of View per individual Mech Chassis. (122 votes [35.36%])

Percentage of vote: 35.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostAndyHill, on 16 September 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

I don't know if it's mandatory or not, but I thought it'd be interesting to have one.

Well, if all the cool kids are doing it. :D

Edited by Grey Ghost, 16 September 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#22 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

First, I can't vote because your poll's choices are too biased. Don't provide prefab answers that are too detailed. Instead ask a detailed question and provide basic "yes/no/undecided" choices.

Second, in order to prevent some users to have an advantage over other simply because they have a much better computer, I believe it's important to lock field of view to a set value so nobody can see wider than they should. Also, 3rd person view is meant to be locked to a certain distance and position behind your 'Mech and it must stay that way.

That said, I'm in favour of the optional film grain effect which I think is purely for show and doesn't give any advantage or disadvantage other than performance.

#23 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostTweaks, on 16 September 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

First, I can't vote because your poll's choices are too biased. Don't provide prefab answers that are too detailed. Instead ask a detailed question and provide basic "yes/no/undecided" choices.

I titled it "Interest Meter" for a reason, more like a petition than a poll really. It covers the scope of my post just fine, but maybe it shouldn't even be there. Does it force you to vote on every question?

Second, in order to prevent some users to have an advantage over other simply because they have a much better computer, I believe it's important to lock field of view to a set value so nobody can see wider than they should. Also, 3rd person view is meant to be locked to a certain distance and position behind your 'Mech and it must stay that way.

First off, you can already change your FoV with the user.cfg file. Secondly, it only affects 1st Person not 3rd that I have seen. Locking it to a set value would have the opposite effect, as not all resolutions see the same FoV value equally. Lastly, you can only see as wide as your cockpit windows allow. Heck, people with 3 monitors apparently see a huge amount currently, especially in 3rd person.

#24 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

I like the poll answers. How is it biased? No option for "force everyone to stare at horrible film grain" even though nothing in the real world is grainy like that?

#25 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Push poll is pushy …

#26 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

Like I said, more of a petition than a poll.

#27 Karenai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 340 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

It looks bad, hurts the eyes and on some machines the FPS drops hard. The devs should at least say something about it and not ride the "let us ignore our playerbase" train. This game will bleed customers hard when BF4 hits, which is soon. Most will look at BF4, look at MWO and just go for the better picture. And claiming that MWO is not a FPS is plainly wrong, it is a FPS and most people who play it, play other FPS games, too (some even play it like any other FPS and fail, but they still play it).

#28 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

I was just starting to get over the 3rd person thing and jumped in my first game in since the sep 3rd patch. God awful film grain is back...

#29 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

View Postkuangmk11, on 17 September 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

I was just starting to get over the 3rd person thing and jumped in my first game in since the sep 3rd patch. God awful film grain is back...

From the looks of your signature it looks like you haven't gotten over anything, and that despite the horridness that is MWO you are still...here.

#30 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 22 September 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

From the looks of your signature it looks like you haven't gotten over anything, and that despite the horridness that is MWO you are still...here.

Posted Image

#31 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Loaded poll.
There are no options to just keep it the way it is.

I have no issue with the way it currently looks, there are way worse things with the graphics than a filter which helps give everything a grimmer war-like feel.

Textures, and Shading need big improvements to make this game look better. And then filters might be able to be removed as the game will look great without.
DX11 and optimisation are important to achieve this.

#32 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostVeranova, on 24 September 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Textures, and Shading need big improvements to make this game look better. And then filters might be able to be removed as the game will look great without.
DX11 and optimisation are important to achieve this.

Yes, they must do everything else graphics wise before simply letting us toggle off a filter that we don't want. /sarcasm

Seeing as I had played the game since closed beta with the Film Grain override until Sept.3rd, I know exactly how good it looked without it.

#33 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Second, in order to prevent some users to have an advantage over other simply because they have a much better computer, I believe it's important to lock field of view to a set value so nobody can see wider than they should. Also, 3rd person view is meant to be locked to a certain distance and position behind your 'Mech and it must stay that way. That said, I'm in favour of the optional film grain effect which I think is purely for show and doesn't give any advantage or disadvantage other than performance.

The great thing about the PC as a platform as opposed to consoles is that there is a high degree of customization possible so that the user can tailor their hardware to their needs, and prioritize the things that are important to them. With this in mind, please note that people are playing this game on everything from 15" CRT monitors to 1080p screens to 4K 50" TVs and even three-monitor setups using tools like Eyefinity. Thus, a "one-size-fits-all" philosophy that assumes one FOV "is great for me and everyone should like it and stop whining" is a poor mentality to take in this game. Further, the finer the granularity of settings available to the user the better, as again, PC users have come to expect to be able to tune some aspects of their experience, especially PC gamers.

So considering this, it is much better to have an in-options FOV slider that lets people easily adjust their field of view from the game. This has a few advantages. The first is that the people who adjust their FOV anyway will now have an easy tool to do so, and not have to muck around creating custom cfgs just to change a simple setting that almost every game released in the past decade has had. The second is that the people who adjusted their FOV no longer have an advantage gleaned though technical knowledge- this setting is now easily available to everyone in the menu, and so players who do well with a wider FOV but do not have the know-how to change theirs are no longer at a disadvantage.

Also please keep in mind that widening the FOV does not substantially increase visibility in most mechs, as they have constrictive cockpits. Furthermore, the extra peripheral vision comes at the loss of detail in the place where it is most important, the center of the screen, and pilots with narrow FOVs can use the free-look key to glance left and right (I'm not sure why nobody seems to use this but me; I find it an indispensable tool).

#34 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

The FOV setting in user.cfg no longer works and it feels like my head is plastered against the windshield.... Hope PGI fixes this soon, playing like this is giving me headaches......

#35 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

View Postcdlord, on 03 October 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

The FOV setting in user.cfg no longer works and it feels like my head is plastered against the windshield.... Hope PGI fixes this soon, playing like this is giving me headaches......

You sure about that?

Mine seems to work.

#36 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't notice any Film Grain?
What are you guys even talking about? Seriously, even in that side by side comparison pic - it looks the ******* same to me.

#37 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostZyllos, on 03 October 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

You sure about that?

Mine seems to work.

Can you review? I just went into the testing grounds.... 80/85/95/30, they are all the same view....

C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\user.cfg
cl_fov=30

#38 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

View Postcdlord, on 03 October 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Can you review? I just went into the testing grounds.... 80/85/95/30, they are all the same view....

C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\user.cfg
cl_fov=30

I felt like my FOV was off after this last patch, had to adjust it a little (pretty sure they didn't change anything and it was all in my head.) Regardless, I can confirm it does work as of this patch, given how many times I changed it to find the right setting. Your file is in the right place; not sure if the formatting matters, but mine actually looks like:
cl_fov = 77

#39 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

View Postaniviron, on 03 October 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

I felt like my FOV was off after this last patch, had to adjust it a little (pretty sure they didn't change anything and it was all in my head.) Regardless, I can confirm it does work as of this patch, given how many times I changed it to find the right setting. Your file is in the right place; not sure if the formatting matters, but mine actually looks like:
cl_fov = 77

I tried that too, with the spaces. Swung both ways, 90 then to 20, same view. Time to open a support ticket.....

Edited by cdlord, 03 October 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#40 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Not having these options in a modern PC game is, imo, a sign of incompetence. It's an industry standard, and the only games that fail to do it are poorly done console ports.

I never hacked the user.cfg (they keep changing it), but I do turn Post Processing as low as it will go specifically to kill the DOF. Film grain is bad as well but DOF murders my aim and should die a burning death of deaths by deadly fiery death. Made of death.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users