Film Grain / Depth Of Field / Field Of View

83 replies to this topic

Poll: Interest Meter (345 member(s) have cast votes)

Film Grain

1. I am in favor of complete removal of Film Grain. (138 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. I am in favor of optional removal of Film Grain. (207 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Depth of Field

1. I am in favor the option to turn Depth Of Field off completely. (156 votes [45.22%])

Percentage of vote: 45.22%

2. I am in favor the option to turn Depth Of Field seperately to it's lowest allowed setting. (189 votes [54.78%])

Percentage of vote: 54.78%

Field Of View

1. I just want a Field Of View slider in the options menu. (223 votes [64.64%])

Percentage of vote: 64.64%

2. I would like to set the Field Of View per individual Mech Chassis. (122 votes [35.36%])

Percentage of vote: 35.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

View Postcdlord, on 03 October 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I tried that too, with the spaces. Swung both ways, 90 then to 20, same view. Time to open a support ticket.....

guys go to systemoverride.cfg and place your custom user configs in there.

they disabled user.cfg so put everything in the system.cfg or systemoverride.cfg I would like to see them block system.cfg because its needed for the game to work.

#42 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostDeerSpotter, on 04 October 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

guys go to systemoverride.cfg and place your custom user configs in there.

they disabled user.cfg so put everything in the system.cfg or systemoverride.cfg I would like to see them block system.cfg because its needed for the game to work.

Oooo, really?? I'll check that sh*t out.....

LOL, from system.cfg:
-- *************************************************************************************************
-- Default system.cfg configuration for development
--
-- Your personal settings can be stored in 'systemcfgoverride.cfg' so that they don't create
-- any conflicts for version control
-- *************************************************************************************************

From systemoverride.cfg:
; DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE!

I'll test my setting in sysoverride though, I'll let you know.

#43 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Update, just tested extreme swings in all files (user.cfg, system.cfg, systemoverride.cfg) and NOTHING worked. :D Still waiting for a response to my service request.

#44 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

View Postcdlord, on 04 October 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

Update, just tested extreme swings in all files (user.cfg, system.cfg, systemoverride.cfg) and NOTHING worked. :D Still waiting for a response to my service request.

add this to your user.cfg and system.cfg and systemoverride.cfg (extreme measures) lol

sys_PakPriority = 0
sys_PakValidateFileHash = 0

sys_PakPriority

If set to 1, tells CryPak to try to open the file in pak first, then go to file system

Edited by DeerSpotter, 04 October 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#45 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

fov works just fine.

some elements in user.cfg work fine as well still.

#46 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

View PostDeerSpotter, on 04 October 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

add this to your user.cfg and system.cfg and systemoverride.cfg (extreme measures) lol

sys_PakPriority = 0
sys_PakValidateFileHash = 0

sys_PakPriority

If set to 1, tells CryPak to try to open the file in pak first, then go to file system

Nothin.... :)

#47 Korvix Valthonis

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Film Grain needs to go now that the work around is gone. It gives me a headache. It is so bad that I notice it all the time and can’t focus on the game. My eyes refuse to ignore it. Even if I try to give myself tunnel vision it looks like my screen is crawling around. I HATE IT. I can no longer play for any extent of time b/c I get an awful headache.

Please, please, please, if anyone at PGI is reading this pass it along. I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on this game for it being a 'free2playlol' and now can’t enjoy it fully. I mad.

Edited by Korvix Valthonis, 06 October 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#48 Zinc001

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationVienna, VA

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

The film grain post-processing effect implemented for MWO really bothers my eyes; I always feel like I need an eye doctor appointment after playing.

*Rummages for his glasses.* Oh, wait. I DON'T WEAR glasses.

There needs to be a way to turn it off. Alas, I'm sure this "feature" was a work around for some game balance issue. Probably had to do with sniping before they nerfed gauss rifles and PPCs.

Edited by Zinc001, 06 October 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#49 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostZinc001, on 06 October 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

The film grain post-processing effect implemented for MWO really bothers my eyes; I always feel like I need an eye doctor appointment after playing.

*Rummages for his glasses.* Oh, wait. I DON'T WEAR glasses.

There needs to be a way to turn it off. Alas, I'm sure this "feature" was a work around for some game balance issue. Probably had to do with sniping before they nerfed gauss rifles and PPCs.

You can minimize/turn it off by setting post processing to low for now.

#50 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

The game def needs a few more graphical options in the settings screen. It is not difficult to add the options there. Look how quick the damage glow option was added. Why an option for film grain has not been added is beyond me. I hate the film grain because it muddles up the scene and makes the game look like garbage-unless that was the artist's intent-to put an ugly filter over all the place. I would say give an option because some people like film grain and other camera/lens effects.

FOV is deeply personal. Not everyone sits the same distance from the same monitor (aspect ratio comes in big here, not everyone is running 16:9) in the same setting. I know several people that physically cannot play games without adjustable FOVs because sometimes the game puts their FOV right where motion sickness kicks in. I don't care whether its per-chassis or not, but it needs to be there.

I don't use DOF because it gives me a splitting headache after a few minutes, but I want to and can run the settings turned up all they way which then adds DOF. DOF can be forced off in a config file but going in and editing configs is not what some people want to have to be doing to enjoy the game.

Edited by frag85, 06 November 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#51 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

I cannot deal with the film grain, not matter how hard I try it strains my eyes and causes my PC to chug even at low settings.

I need to have a way to turn it all the way off or else I'll have to quit the game.

#52 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

And yet no option for those of us who don't care one way, the other, or any way at all?

Biased Poll

#53 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 04 September 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

EDIT: Poll Petition like "Interest Meter" added September 16th

View PostShar Wolf, on 13 November 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

And yet no option for those of us who don't care one way, the other, or any way at all?

Biased Poll

That is the first line of the main post, and it is worded quite specifically.

If you don't care one way or the other, then don't participate in the thread. Seems simple enough to me.

Edited by Grey Ghost, 16 November 2013 - 01:00 AM.

#54 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 16 November 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

If you don't care one way or the other, then don't participate in the thread. Seems simple enough to me.

I was mostly trolling ;) sorry shoulda put my /troll tags up

On a more serious note - very few pollsters around here take non-partition into account.
Hence the 'mostly' part of the mostly trolling. ;)

#55 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:21 AM

I pray the Gods of Videogames to make the devs remove the film grain e-v-e-r-y-d-a-y.

Delete it, put it as an option, deny it will ever exist.

But please, please, please, let me get rid of it.

***DING DING DING***

What a beatiful solution would be if the film grain could be removed from 1st person view only?
People playing in 3rd view must have film grain because of the drone lens.

This could give a slight advantage in playing 1st person, forcing people to play MechWarrior the way it should: 1st person FTW

Edited by Attank, 05 December 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#56 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Just gonna put these here.

Posted Image

With filmgrain / Before filmgrain.

Posted Image

As you can see, Filmgrain makes the game look horrible. especially when taking screenshots.

(if the images does not work, then try this link. https://www.dropbox....a0i8/EBdRkZD0Ut)

#57 Ineffigy

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 29 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

The film grain comes from the neurohelmet that the pilot wears to get overlay information.

Also, this poll is bogus. There isn't any option to keep film grain the way it is.

#58 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostIneffigy, on 18 December 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

The film grain comes from the neurohelmet that the pilot wears to get overlay information.

It comes as a leftover from CryEngine3.

View PostIneffigy, on 18 December 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Also, this poll is bogus. There isn't any option to keep film grain the way it is.

Your reading comprehension is bogus.

#59 uebersoldat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Being a huge Quake fan and player of old with something like an FoV of 120 whist playing, even I caution the FoV in this game. As a simulator, it shouldn't have ridiculous field of view. It's immersion breaking and somewhat cheaty. Max of 75 or 80 would be fine.

#60 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postuebersoldat, on 20 December 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

*snip*

Well the cockpit limits the maximum of what you can see (ever see one of those massive 3 monitor screenshots?), and I am pretty sure there is a limit to how high FoV can currently be set. We can already change it, I just wanted the option of doing so without editing a config file and restarting the client.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users