Holding Gauss Charge

143 replies to this topic

Poll: Make Gauss Charge Indefinate (596 member(s) have cast votes)

SHould you be able to hold Gauss charge indefinately?

1. Yes, at no penalty. (48 votes [8.05%])

Percentage of vote: 8.05%

2. Yes, with heat for sustaining charge. (1 or 2 heat per second.) (76 votes [12.75%])

Percentage of vote: 12.75%

3. Yes, with heat scaling up with length of time the charge is held (E.g., 1 heat for first second, 2 for second, 3.5 for third, etc.) (44 votes [7.38%])

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

4. Yes, but with some other penalty. (11 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

5. No, the way it is now is better. (122 votes [20.47%])

Percentage of vote: 20.47%

6. No, but the charge is currently too brief. (90 votes [15.10%])

Percentage of vote: 15.10%

7. No, I want the old Gauss back. (205 votes [34.40%])

Percentage of vote: 34.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

I do not find the current charge system for the Gauss acceptable. I'm not against having to charge the Gauss, but the brief window of time you can use it is too short. If you are looking to decouple the Gauss from PPCs, the best way is heat punishment, IMO.

Edited by Escef, 04 September 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#2 VikingN1nja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 607 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

How about option as it was?

#3 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

View Postomegaorgun, on 04 September 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

How about option as it was?

Done.

#4 Silverfang22

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 60 posts
  • LocationColorado, US

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

I like the ability to cancel shots, having that "small" window to fire it means if an opportunity goes away I can cancel it and save the ammo. I'd rather not have to hold down the mouse button until I find something to shoot at.

Plus that would make firing Gauss with PPCs easy. Not that it's easy to fire multiple PPCs due to heat now.

#5 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostSilverfang22, on 04 September 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Plus that would make firing Gauss with PPCs easy. Not that it's easy to fire multiple PPCs due to heat now.

I kept that in mind, hence the idea of heat penalties.

#6 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostSilverfang22, on 04 September 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

I like the ability to cancel shots, having that "small" window to fire it means if an opportunity goes away I can cancel it and save the ammo. I'd rather not have to hold down the mouse button until I find something to shoot at.

I see it the same way, its a bonus the amount of ammo I have saved not shooting after my twitch reaction charging.

Sometimes its better to not waste a shot :(

#7 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'd like an extra half a seond added to the time it takes to discharge. So 0.75 to charge, and 1.75 to hold the charge. And then also a cool discharging sound of the coils if nothing was fired.
I often hold it too long, and then i let go expecting that it'll shoot but there's no cue that I can listen for that tells me it's not charged anymore. Aside from the little square in my reticle going back to orange, which isn't noticable at all. So I'm kinda left with that feeling "Dude, where's my shot?"

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 04 September 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#8 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

I'd say, widen the window in which it is charged and you can release the trigger to 3 seconds and make it so the GR can only explode when charging, charged or during cooldown. Oh and make the cooldown 3.5 seconds, down from 4 seconds. The GR lost some DPS because of the charge, which I think wasn't the goal and shouldn't be, so the cooldown needs to be shorter.

Edited by TexAss, 05 September 2013 - 04:41 AM.

#9 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

L2Skillshot :D

#10 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

really, i just want the gauss back to how it was. It was dangerous enough as it was to mount. A gun that easily exploded and weighed the most out of any weapon in the game. A mech had to give up a lot of weight just to mount one gauss rifle.

#11 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Tough call. I like the short capacitor charged time, if I miss my chance at a shot, I can release the trigger sooner and start looking for another chance, so 1.25 is about right. On the other hand, the charge up time of .75 seconds,.... I'd either like to see that reduced to .5 or (and/or) have a far better indicator that charge is complete, the audio queue is just not enough at the moment. Maybe a big (yellow when charging, green when charged, red when expired) visual on the reticule or a load buzz when fully charged (release during the buzz).

But even if an insufficient notice that charge is complete and a charge up time of .75 and a full charge of only 1.25,.... I'd still be just fine with gauss if the recycle time was reduced to 3.25 seconds (though 3 would be better) to compensate for the .75 second charge-up time. (basically, it's a minimum of 4.75 seconds between shots and practically speaking about 5 seconds).

Yeah, just these two points and I'll be just fine with gauss:
1) Load Buzz when fully charged (buzz starts at end of charge up, and goes away at end of charged time).
2) Reduce recycle to 3 or 3.25 second so that dps stays about the same.

@TexAss. Not so keen on the 3 second charged time, too long for my taste, but really like the idea of the gauss only exploding during charging, charged, and cooling cycles.

Edited by Five by Five, 06 September 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#12 The Blazer of Lasers

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationIn a peaceful meadow on terra pondering the meaning of flamers.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

the gauss was perfect before the recent patch. BRING IT BACK! :D

#13 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:48 AM

View PostThe Blazer of Lasers, on 07 September 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

the gauss was perfect before the recent patch. BRING IT BACK! :)

QFT

The correct adjustment for the Gauss Rifle would be to increase the recharge by one or two seconds as has always been done for longer range weapons in Battletech and previous MechWarrior games to balance them with short range. The Gauss Rifle already has a mediocre DPS compared to other ballistics.

#14 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

I voted the old gauss back but not because i'm against the charge (there's no point as i highly doubt PGI would change it back) but because i'd prefer if the weapon just fired after the charge was complete.
Having to lift my finger off the button makes my mouse move slightly making it harder to hit distant targets accurately. The charge actually made no difference at short range for me.

#15 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Just to throw this out but instead of indefinitely, how about a scaling chance of disabling the guass for a period of time?

#16 qwerty878787

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

The way the Gauss is set up now makes it almost unusable.

The way the Gauss is set up now makes it almost unusable.

#17 xXButcherBlackXx

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

The old method of firing should be brought back or, if they insist on keeping this charging business, make firing two clicks; one to charge and the second to fire.

#18 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

you cant hold the charge indefinitely because your arm gets tired pulling back the bow string

#19 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

At this stage anything over a 10% adjustment on any weapon stat is a wild balance shift. Something to be an absolute last resort for a weapon that's horribly overpowered. The balance decisions PGI is making are just nuts and hammering one weapon into the ground leaving a vacum for another to take its place....hello UAC5.

As far as the gauss goes, I really can't stand the mechanic myself. Its just stupid.

To break the PPC/Gauss builds, a few basic solutions would have done it, not affected the gauss builds that don't rely on PPCs, and kept everyone from having to adapt to a new balance whack-a-mole band aid mechanic. A few changes like keeping them with different projectile speeds, punishing ghost heat similar to the AC20 hammer if both weapon types were fired together, or making it impossible to fire the two weapon types within 1 second of one another would have been too simple....

....next up I see UAC-5s getting aggressively adjusted and I have my suspicions about what will get nerfed with a sledge hammer afterwards I have my guesses about what will become the new 'cheese' of the day.

#20 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

There was nothing wrong with how the gauss worked before. PGI should remove this wonky set up. TB Freelancer's post stated exactly what I thought PGI should do.

1) Make the difference of the projectile speeds on gauss and PPC wide enough that they need different lead distances.

Increasing the PPC to 1900 or 2000m / sec, while lowering the gauss to 1500m. This will make the PPC fire like you would expect a charged particle to behave, while keeping the gauss at a reasonably fast velocity.

2) Including the gauss rifle with the PPC weapon group for ghost heat.

3) Increasing the recycle/cooldown time of the gauss and or PPC when fired together. Or increase the gauss' when fired in pairs.

4) Give the ER PPC a min range of 120m

5) Add more dynamic heat penalties do to heat levels over 50%. Such *** HUD flicker, weapon cycle time increase, decrease weapon convergence, decrease arm and torso movement speeds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users