Shooting Down Missiles...

147 replies to this topic

Poll: Shooting down Missiles... (440 member(s) have cast votes)

Should weapons other than AMS be able to shoot down missiles?

1. Yes, All Energy Weapons. (24 votes [5.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

2. Yes, Certain Energy Weapons. (14 votes [3.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.18%

3. Voted Yes, Any weapon (Ballistic or Energy). (209 votes [47.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.50%

4. No, AMS Only. (193 votes [43.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Enzane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 428 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTemplar Command Training Camp.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 13 November 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

OK let's try this. I'll get a bazooka, you have have a machine gun. I'm gonna fire the bazooka at you and shoot down the incoming missiles.

Ya know what, it won't work. Machine guns do not fire quickly enough to take it out.

There are very specialized machines which are dedicated anti-missile systems which could. They fire many times more quickly than a machine gun and use smaller faster munitions. The phalanx system used by US forces fires something like 100 rounds per second. Now compare that to MWO's machine gun at 10 rounds per second.

Yeah yeah, I know the AMS shows ammo being used more slowly. However, consider those rounds and batches of ammo.

Every time you inject logic into a fantasy game God Kills a Urban Mech...

#62 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

AMS only is stupid. Is there something special about 50 .cal bullets that a laser or Machine Gun can't do?

Edited by DavidHurricane, 15 November 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#63 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

Good Gawd can't us Rocketeers get a break.

#64 Vodage

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 09 September 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

no one is a good enough shot to score a kill against even a single missile outside of dumb luck, much less a spread-out swarm of them.

See: Unreal Tournament; Shock Combos

See: Tribes Ascend; Blue Plate Specials

At least 15% of the Hardcore-FPS community is a good enough shot to score a kill against even a single missile outside of dumb luck, much less a spread-out swarm of them.

Fixed.

Edited by Vodage, 31 May 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#65 Anubis Ka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostMnDragon, on 09 September 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

And so begins the quest to add the LosTech Mech Patriot Missile Launching system so that we can begin shooting down missiles with missiles and have those missile shot down by other missiles and AMS. file:///C:/Users/Dragon/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif [/sarcasm]

But seriously, missiles are perfectly fine where they are at. They have more counters than buffs, I shall enumerate them:
  • ECM prevents LRMers from obtaining missile lock, thus if said LRMer is froggy and can actually see the target, he can “dumb fire” for maybe a few hits.
  • LRMs require LOS to lock. Not necessarily the firer’s line of sight, but SOMEONE needs to have a visual, target said mech, and then stand there long enough to relay the data to the LRMer. All of which doesn’t work if the scout is under enemy ECM or if the target moves out of LOS.
  • LRMs beat Paper, Paper beats Rock, Rock beats LRMs. When in doubt, find cover. LRMs don’t fire like a javelin, they have a relatively low angle of attack. Any large rock, building, atlas makes a good missile shield.
  • AMS can already shoot down roughly 25% of a missile volley. (around 5 missiles per volley PER AMS SYSTEM WITHIN 200m) So if you and say the rest of your lance all have AMS, you just negated an LRM20. Incidentally, there is ONLY ONE mech in the entire inventory that can’t equip AMS---the X5 which brings me to my last point:
  • Lights can outrun Missiles
For the second time today I will say this: I agree with PGI, AMS: Working as Intended.

All your points are fare besides you can make a 90 hard turn left or right and dodge the volley of missiles.

#66 tm10067

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

Shooting incoming missiles with ppc should be fun. :rolleyes:

#67 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

.file:///C:/Users/Dragon/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif [/sarcasm]

Stopped reading there.... :rolleyes:

.file:///C:/Users/Dragon/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif [/sarcasm]

Stopped reading there.... :rolleyes:

#68 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

I always thought missles, along with being able to be shot down, should have a splash damage with a chance to chain react.
Of course this would come with a seriously major speed and range boost (maybe HP depending, and hitbox size change).

#69 Silverlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 178 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationThe Periphery, one planet at a time.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

In my opinion. I think lasers and ballistics only should be allowed to shoot down missiles. Ballistics being that they can only detonate one missile per hit since only one ballistic round is being shot. Unfortunately, that gives Clan ballistics an edge over IS ballistics in the sense they can slice through an LRM cloud faster.
But.
With lasers, not PPCs mind you, but lasers. They should carry the ability to cut cleanly through them and detonate as many as the beam hits due to beam duration and strength. So. If a small laser/small pulse laser/clan small pulse laser fires, the short beam duration would only cut through a few. Mediums would do more and Larges would do the most.

For the person who said the AMS was based off of tech from the 70s. This is a world in which a walking juggernaut made of metal carrying massive amounts of weaponry can level an entire city by itself and our only defense against a swarm of missiles fired from 5+ 'mechs is a silly little AMS that only drops one missile...WHEN THERE'S USUALLY 50-60 MISSILES INCOMING IN ONE VOLLEY? Dude. You're a joke.

Facts are facts. LRMs aren't going anywhere. No one is going to stop using them even though they're stupid easy mode and the team with the most usually wins. Since that's the case. Then I want the ability to have my high power, super high heat energy weapons to cut through a missile's metal body and detonate the majority of the swarm mid air to mitigate the majority of the damage. Of course I'm not going to be able to shoot down every single one and a few will definitely get through. But at the very least the LRM boaters will think twice before spamming the crap out of their easy mode mechs and making their shots count.

#70 LeKrisser

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLandau, Germany

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostKhobai, on 09 September 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Have you ever tried to shoot down a missile with a handgun?

Have you ever tried to hit a clay pigeon with an LBX20? Can't be harder. Can't miss. almost like shooting on sitting ducks.

#71 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

Been hoping for a long time we could shoot down missiles. It would be a hard feature to implement without killing LRM viability, but it makes no sense that my huge guns and stream-fire lasers can't scratch a few missiles out of the sky.

Side note: When i first started playing the game, I thought that other friendly AMS-equipped mechs shooting down incoming missiles were teammates using MG's to shoot down missiles which were targeting me. I thought "wow that's so nice of them"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be nice to see it implemented in the "nerf/buff sandwich" style they did with gauss.

-All weapons can shoot down missiles, but lasers are much more accurate. Accuracy should be very low, only a viable tactic to scratch a 1-7 missiles off of an LRM 50 volley.
**BUT*
-Missiles should receive some sort of buff. Slight speed increase, slight damage increase, or maybe Artemis equipped missiles would have stronger outer casing, and thus be harder to shoot down.

#72 Jack Spade Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 432 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Machine guns can shoot missiles, try it and youll see, i do alot of it

#73 DarkonFullPower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

View PostSpadejack, on 30 June 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

Machine guns can shoot missiles, try it and youll see, i do alot of it

That sounds like a glitch that I'll need to report.

#74 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

View PostxXButcherBlackXx, on 09 September 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

given that the side with the most LRMs win the match 90% of the time ;)

Got any data thats not anecdotal?

#75 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

Fine. Allow shooting down missiles.

But also allow missiles a max range of 2000m and have a projectile speed of 1000ms.

#76 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostxXButcherBlackXx, on 09 September 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

I think it's about time Missiles become vulnerable to at least some weapons other than the AMS. It would add more realism to the game and some much needed balance; given that the side with the most LRMs win the match 90% of the time as things stand. Now before you LRM boats complain...shooting down a stream of 50+ missiles with your normal weapons will make you more likely to overheat, may make you waste ammo, and might not even be possible given the trajectory of any incoming missiles; so in those respects this mechanic is not cheap and will not make missiles obsolete.

Please share your thoughts, likes/dislikes, and don't forget to vote ;)

Okay. Do this and LRMs get 1.5dmg then like they used to. Then fine.

the side with the most LRMs win the match 90% of the time as things stand.

Please explain why, since 3 patches ago, I am usually the last guy standing, running exclusively LRM or LRM centric builds and losing 90% of my matches then.

Edited by Kjudoon, 01 August 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#77 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:05 PM

I'm all for LRMs being intercepted by weapon fire. Buuuuuut.... Conversely, I want to be able to throw a cloud of missiles in front of myself to protect me from direct fire. Considering that PPCs and ACs front load all of their damage into one round (an exception for Clan ACs, but they would react the same, but per shell), it seems only fair that a single missile would intercept a single round. PPCs should be stopped by MGun fire too. In fact, MGuns should stop EVERYTHING, except Lasers of course, because Lasers are a continuous beam. All front loaded damage per round weapons could be intercepted in a one for one basis.

Thus, Machineguns take over the world.

Edit: By the way, I am dead serious, because that is the ONLY way that this could work, with the current game Mechanics. So unless you are proposing a COMPLETE rebuild of the game engine from the ground up (which would delay CW for at least another SOON™), I don't see any feasible way to make this work.

Edited by Thunder Child, 01 August 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#78 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

LRMs require LOS to lock.

Not always! Narc!

#79 delelion

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

From a pure game play standpoint, being able to shoot down missiles would strengthen the already annoying paradigm of needing to bring more LRM to be effective. Right now there is little reason to equip less than monstrous rows of missiles in order to hit and damage targets.

I would like to have the option of an LRM10 on a light or medium 'mech and be able to use it occasionally as part of a balanced arsenal - not just 'LRM500 here 33kph top speed be there in a few'....

Otherwise, I like the idea. There is an added element of skill in noticing missile trajectory and moving properly (in the open) to avoid being hit, and shooting at them -even with a very low chance of hitting-would add to that.

As an aside, I've always believed the ammo weight also includes loading and feeding equipment, so straight math on missiles/ton can be misleading.

#80 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

Allowing all weapons to shoot down missles is a great idea. ;)
We don't have to waste tons and slots for AMS anymore and can mount moar weapons, heatsinks or ammo.
At teh moment you have to use at least some basic kind of Teamwork (like staying with the team) to get a benefit from AMS, the Team with the better Teamwork has a huge advantage. plz nerf Teamwork by allowing all weapons killing LRMs.

plz give also all weapons the abillty to remove ECM cover from a mech, so we don't have to mount a TAG, a NARC, a BAP or a PPC or have to carry a UAV.
All weapons also should generate heat on the target, so we don't have to mount flamers, and get a bonus for critical hits so we don't have to mount Machine Guns.
kthxbai !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users