187 replies to this topic

#1 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

First post in a while. So lately I read a book titled Physics of Star Trek. So I decided there should be a forum post for Physics of Mechwarrior. So ask away and I'll give my best answer!

Notes:
  • For clarification about the fusion reactors: Sarna says that they use pure hydrogen (1 proton) and NOT deuterium or tritium (1 proton 1-2 neutrons).
  • For clarification the jump jets compress the atmosphere and then super-shot it with electricity. So in effect it is a plasma gun.
  • For clarification, heat is not a linear scale. So, if you've come here hoping to get rid of ghost heat using science, go away (unless you have something else helpful to post, in which case please stay!).
  • For clarification, fusion and fission are NOT the same thing at all. Fission splits atoms. Fusion fuses atoms. They have totally different methodologies too.
  • Evolution, creation, and philosophical principles are not to be discussed here. As much as I would like to, it is too risky and this is simply not the place to have that discussion. I hope you understand :). If you want to discuss philosophy, go here: Philosophy Thread.
  • For those interested in advanced physics but don't want to/can't take a college course, World Science U is a good place to look (it has some topics that could pertain to discussions here).

Edited by DavidHurricane, 01 September 2014 - 08:06 AM.

#2 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I would advice against thinking _too_ hard about the physics of Battletech/Mechwarrior. Heads have been known to spontaneously explode. Very messy. :) Should be fun to see the questions and answers though.

#3 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 14 September 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

I would advice against thinking _too_ hard about the physics of Battletech/Mechwarrior. Heads have been known to spontaneously explode. Very messy. :) Should be fun to see the questions and answers though.

The main thing would be jump jets. The rest is more so based on the statistics of the weapons. The slightest variation between GFX in the different games make huge differences though (as I have found trying to think about it).

#4 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

Is there no one to debate this? Lol

#5 evil merlin

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Jump jets are actually easily explained in BattleTech and honestly there is no reason it wouldn't work.

#6 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

View Postevil merlin, on 14 September 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Jump jets are actually easily explained in BattleTech and honestly there is no reason it wouldn't work.

Other than the fact that some Mechs way 95 tons and mount them. But what does a fusion reactor do with the plasma for power?

#7 Nightmage61

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

The fusion / plasma relation is easy. All a fusion generatior has to make is electric power. Just like a Navy ship uses a nuke power plant, just a lot smaller and more powerfull. Plasma is right from the electric power, super heated gases directed by mech magic. Yep, had to make up the directed part, as we can't do that yet.

#8 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 15 September 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

Other than the fact that some Mechs way 95 tons and mount them. But what does a fusion reactor do with the plasma for power?

... and they are sized up for the weight they carry. :)

If you want some interesting stuff on BT physics (indirectly) : http://mwomercs.com/...y-an-education/ ... and anything Nefber posts: http://mwomercs.com/...age__tab__posts

#9 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostNightmage61, on 15 September 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

The fusion / plasma relation is easy. All a fusion generatior has to make is electric power. Just like a Navy ship uses a nuke power plant, just a lot smaller and more powerfull. Plasma is right from the electric power, super heated gases directed by mech magic. Yep, had to make up the directed part, as we can't do that yet.

Actually, Plasma in the laboratory now is "directed" away from the walls of the containment unit by high powered electromagnets. (so as not to melt the containment unit.) If we have a mounted rail gun (metal projectile focused by electromagnets in the Gauss Rifle) then it isn't a much bigger leap to say that we can use Electromagnets to direct highly ionized gas into stream and out the business end of a rocket.

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 14 September 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

I would advice against thinking _too_ hard about the physics of Battletech/Mechwarrior. Heads have been known to spontaneously explode. Very messy. ;) Should be fun to see the questions and answers though.

I can only say - this is true:
I tried it several times....and when i finally got my 30cm Heavy Gauss Rifle - the kinetic energy was near a tactical nuke - lets say Davy Crocket - allready in game for 100dmg points. Most funny fact is - that the i wouldn't say that a Gauss is a cool weapon. The waste heat on capacitor discharge will overheat a Mech much faster as a dicharge of a Laser.

regarding the jump jets: the fusion engine needs fuel - deuterium - you simple heaten it up and pump it through a rocket nozzle.

#11 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 16 September 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

I can only say - this is true:
I tried it several times....and when i finally got my 30cm Heavy Gauss Rifle - the kinetic energy was near a tactical nuke - lets say Davy Crocket - allready in game for 100dmg points. Most funny fact is - that the i wouldn't say that a Gauss is a cool weapon. The waste heat on capacitor discharge will overheat a Mech much faster as a dicharge of a Laser.

regarding the jump jets: the fusion engine needs fuel - deuterium - you simple heaten it up and pump it through a rocket nozzle.

They say it uses raw hydrogen (1 proton 1 electron). You'd have to inject carbon to get energy out of raw hydrogen.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 17 September 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#12 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Realistically, with the power of a fusion engine at hand, you could ionize the air en masse and shove it through an electromagnet sort of deal.
Relevant but not identical: http://youtu.be/FFK5BzHs6eY

Or you could do something like this.
http://youtu.be/8he8afjQyd8

Not only would these be leagues more efficient than burning fuel or venting hot plasma, they'd be essentially silent.

Edited by Applejack, 17 September 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#13 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostApplejack, on 17 September 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Realistically, with the power of a fusion engine at hand, you could ionize the air en masse and shove it through an electromagnet sort of deal.
Relevant but not identical: http://youtu.be/FFK5BzHs6eY

Or you could do something like this.
http://youtu.be/8he8afjQyd8

Not only would these be leagues more efficient than burning fuel or venting hot plasma, they'd be essentially silent.

True. The problem with using the helium plasma for me is the plasma is what powers the Mech, so you'd have a power-out/lackage.

#14 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 17 September 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

True. The problem with using the helium plasma for me is the plasma is what powers the Mech, so you'd have a power-out/lackage.

which is why they are jumpjets, not flying jets.

#15 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

Battlemech jump jets DO NOT vent fusion from the fusion engine.

INSTEAD they take in local atmosphere via turbo-compressors, than hit that compressed atmosphere with an electric arc powerful enough to convert the mass into an explosion of plasma, which is than controlled and vented.

I repeat, battlemech jump jets DO. NOT. vent fusion from the fusion engine/reactor.

#16 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

View PostPht, on 17 September 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

INSTEAD they take in local atmosphere via turbo-compressors, than hit that compressed atmosphere with an electric arc powerful enough to convert the mass into an explosion of plasma, which is than controlled and vented.

So it is a kind of electro thermal cannon?
Instead of firing a projectile it fires compressed air?

Sorry but i would stay near actual physics like the NERVA or RAM jet - both need fuel and in case of the fusion engine its the deuterium or hydrogen that is the fuel of the fusion engine

#17 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

Here's a puzzle: how does the stalker stay upright? That thing should fall flat on it's face.

#18 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:16 AM

simple:
Gyroscop and a balance point that is in the back

#19 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:17 AM

View PostColby Boucher, on 18 September 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

Here's a puzzle: how does the stalker stay upright? That thing should fall flat on it's face.

it has a lot of weight in the back. also its legs should be tilted backwards slightly so its feet are under the center of gravity.

#20 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

The physics seem a little silly at times. I don't know the newest version, but the old Gauss rifles had a minimum range - makes no sense.

Jumpships and whatnot are perfectly reasonable as sci-fi, but I've always felt that the fusion engines don't produce as much power as they should.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users