Sound Distortion/popping/crackling

89 replies to this topic

#21 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

Seems to be a server sided problem. The 4 people I play with atm got the same issue (including me).

All of us are using totally different rigs.

#22 Rebel Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

I am having this problem as well. Mainly when a lot of stuff is happening. Movement, explosions so on.

My rig is

Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz Socket 2011
Asus P9X79 PRO Socket 2011 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Kingston Hyper X 8GB 2400MHz DDR3
OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 SATA III SSD
5.1 suround sound system

#23 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:04 AM

Seems to be a known problem:

http://mwomercs.com/...-when-repeated/

#24 japes

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

View Post1Sascha, on 17 September 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

high quality soundcard *and* onboard sound. He runs games on the card and TS on the MB's solution.

This is how my setup functions currently, hence the mixer, however even with the onboard disabled and just using the Xonar STX it's still a common problem.

Since yesterdays patch I'd classify it as worse for me, hardly had a game last night that wasn't crackly.

#25 japes

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

Still an issue that needs to be resolved.

#26 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

I'm having this issue since a long time.

I thought my headphones were faulty, then I used a 2.1 stereo system only to hear those distortions better.. I then tried several headphones I had laying around, several versions of drivers (windows, hdmi through videocard, realtek whatever), several tryouts in changing audio quality.. to no avail.

I thought "maybe it's this windows installation" so I set up a fresh installation, and even re-downloaded the whole game again only to have the same audio crackling.

I then started thinking that my onboard audio became faulty, to a point I was thinking about returning my motherboard, but then I decided to try this on a secondary system (on which I normally don't use any games) and.. oh well that crackling is there as well. Therefore it's the game

First system specs
-i5 3570k
-2x4Gb Geil DDR3 1600
-MSI Z77A G45
-Gigabyte nvidia GTX 660
-Enermax Pro82+ 625AWT
-SSDs: Crucial M4 128gb (system), OCZ Octane 128Gb (fast launch games so if it blows up nothing gets lost xD)
-HDD: Samsung HD204 UI 2Tb

I use the onboard Realtek ALC892, latest available drivers, tried previous versions, original motherboard version and whatever else

Secondary system
-i5 2500k
-2x2Gb Gskill DDR3 1600mhz
-MSI P67A-GD55
-Radeon HD 5850 1Gb
-Patriot Pyro SE 120
-WD Scorpio Blue 640Gb
-OCZ ZX850w

So here again the same Realtek ALC892, did the same test I did in the first system; audio crackle stay there as well when I use the AMD HDMI audio output (using an HDMI monitor).

Notice: NO issues of this kind happen in any other game or sound I play on either one of the two systems.

Therefore it's MWO as I see I'm not the only one with this issue, and it's like this by months.

#27 protoKol

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

I use a vengeance 1500 corsair headset. clicking sounds when walking around in an assault mech. i changed the settings for the equalizer for the headset for normal rather than boosted bass. im not sure if everyones problem is like mine but i believe this may have fixed my problem. it seems that the bass caused by the movement of an assault mech was too much for my headphones to handle as i know the freq range isnt ideal

#28 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Yeah I get this too it sucks.
Since it seems to happen when there are lots of layers going on, I'm going to hazard that we're getting Buffer under-runs.

The load is too much for the allocated CPU threads to process within the right time-frame, causing a series of dropouts (clicks).
It's an issue with the audio engine in-game, and probably a low priority for PGI.

I'm running a computer built for audio & video production (with a £400 audio interface no less), so if anything was going to over-come the issue, it's this computer.
But, nope. Software issues <3

#29 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Y'all wouldn't happen to have some kind'a "power saver" software, that came with you motherboard, running, would ya'?

#30 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostGoose, on 29 September 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Y'all wouldn't happen to have some kind'a "power saver" software, that came with you motherboard, running, would ya'?

Nope. Had to disable C6/C7-states because my PSU doesn't support them and disabled all the other Asus "power-saving"-stuff along with them on day one of my new rig. And Windows energy-state is set to "maximum performance", too.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 30 September 2013 - 02:13 AM.

#31 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

I'm grapsing at straws, here, but if you poke around in the details of the Control Panel Power Options, maybe the PCI Express Link State Power Management isn't set to Off yet?

#32 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

I'm grapsing at straws

Aren't we all? ;)

On a side note, and speaking of which: Speaking to my squaddies last night the consensus was that this problem seems to occur more frequently on certain maps. Happened to us very frequently (and simultaneously) on Tourmaline for example. Could be just a coincidence, though.

S.

#33 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:15 AM

By "certain maps," you mean the ones with noticeable ambient sound in the first place? ;)

#34 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostGoose, on 30 September 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

I'm grasping at straws, here, but if you poke around in the details of the Control Panel Power Options, maybe the PCI Express Link State Power Management isn't set to Off yet?

Just did a quick check and it is set to "Off" on both my machines.

Does anyone else get it in testing grounds too?

#35 SteinerOnion

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Having the same issue. I got very used to it and it didn't bother me.

Today it progressed into full on audio tearing on my left headphone, not reproducible in any other program or media. Just MWO. If it's a known issue we can hope for some sort of help on it.

#36 japes

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostGoose, on 29 September 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Nope, nothing like that. MechWarrior Online is the only title I have any issues with - it's clearly a fault in the MWO sound engine.

Haven't tried it since todays patch as I'm at work, but since nothing is listed in the notes (then again, neither is the removal of the salvage bonus), I presume it's still being ignored by the development team.

Be great if we could get a response from them in this thread.

Edited by japes, 01 October 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#37 PrototypeM5

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

Yes I have this problem too and it has nothing to do with our computers. I didnt have this issues when I started playing this game. It appeared right after a patch, I cant remember which one.

So we just have to wait for PGI to release a fix for this!

#38 Kazma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationGermany - Leipzig

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:01 AM

Same problem here, its not the users fault btw.

#39 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Yeah, this bug is getting tiresome... definitely not my computer or audio hardware either. It's worst while in a big group of other mechs.

For that matter, the audio in general is pretty weak, even when it's working properly. Very heavy layer of 60-80Hz mud/rumble being arbitrarily pumped in on top of everything? Fail... that approach is so gimmicky it hurts (it's like the MSG of audio). I'm sure it sounds fine to people with awful speakers, cheapo headphones, or low standards, but as someone that studies audio (it's another hobby of mine) and builds playback systems accordingly it's really sad to see PGI missing such an easy opportunity to excel.

I don't think anyone in their office understands how powerful the impact of audio has on users (painfully typical mistake small companies make), for better or worse. Just to make this subject confusing, generally users are completely oblivious to the emotional impact being constantly imparted on them from exposure to sound.This can work either for, or against your goals, and since users are largely unaware there is no mechanism for meaningful feedback -they guy/team in charge has to know their stuff or else it's an invisible albatross around the neck of the game.

Right now the audio is really working against them. They need to hire someone that actually cares about and understands these things and keep from making such easily avoidable mistakes. This is one of the few areas of development that passion for the subject is more important than having a formal degree, but proper training us helpful too.

Unlike high quality graphics or anything else related to gaming, there is no (none whatsoever) excuse whatsoever to have less than stellar audio. A terrible sound guy/team generally charges the same as a good one, and there are so many tools and resources for these guys to work with that substandard results are purely the result of substandard guidelines. Instead of unleashing the potential of modern audio and sound systems we get soundscapes on par with 1980's cabinet arcade machines.

#40 Ellenai

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 54 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

same here @ Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Extreme Pro Gamer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users