Advice On Catapult Builds

10 replies to this topic

#1 Draconis March

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Herro everyone. I'm trying to decide on which build to run for some Catapults: the A1, and the C4 vs the C1. If you could take the time to look at my builds and give me feedback, I'd appreciate it a lot!

Case 1: CPLT-A1 as a streak cat. I'm trying to make the A1 built for SRMs, since it has the most missile hard points of all the Catapults, making it ideal for it.

Build 1: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0590c1d7077178f
  • Better heat management for a constant barrage
  • More ammo
  • Slightly less DPS
  • Can potentially get ****'d over by ECMs
Build 2: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=13&l=8ae81c1c9244c1ab47e65a72f08dca9cb725b940
  • Higher damage Alpha (good for jump shotting)
  • Higher DPS
  • Less ammo
  • Worse heat management
  • Has backup for ECMs
Case 2: CPLT-C4 vs. CPLT-C1 as an LRM boat.

Build 1: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0aac425ad89f203
  • LRMs recycle faster
  • Faster movement speed
  • More defenseless against light
Build 2: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3de6eff1e7125de
  • More medium lasers for self defense
  • Slightly more armor
  • Higher potential DPS
  • Slower
Also, if you have any suggestions about more optimal placement of equipment and stuff, I'd appreciate that too.

Edited by Draconis March, 16 September 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#2 Sir Herman von Bear

• PipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

For the CPLT-C4 im totally Happy with this CPLT-C4 Build.
The C4 can fire up to 20 Missiles per Tube so you should use it.

Edited by Beares, 17 September 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

As for the C4 or C1, both are meh. Having mastered the C4, I use two builds. One is slow, packs a punch, but can run low on ammo. The other is a fast one for easier repositioning and continuous fire, but not as deadly between 180 and 270m. The C1 can be a good brawler if you max-out the jjs -- I would not waste it as a missile boat.

#4 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

for Case 1, I would personally favor your second build, with some adjustments: the main one being to kick the engine down to a 300. If I had to choose between 4 kph and 3 free tons on an ammo dependent mech, I'm going to favor getting some extra tonnage since it's quite speedy already (well, 2.5 but I don't tend to find I need more than 384 points of armor on a cat). It may rely on your playstyle, but with some other adjustments you can change out 2 of the streaks for another brace of SRM6s, which I would probably favor (here's my adjustments for reference http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b9577f8f197e90f). You'd need to do a lot of individualized testing to find if dropping down to 2xSRM4s would help with ammo and heat issues, or whether having 4 streaks is better overall. Tricky tricky.

Case 2, I'll just say that cramming that giant engine in your mech is killing your build. An LRM boat rarely needs to be speedy and when it's done at the severe detriment to your ammo it won't work. Secondly, the C1 just can't compete as an LRM boat these days, 2x20s doesn't cut mustard in this meta with only MLs to back it up. At least, that's what I've found after a lot of tweaking. The C4 is just all around a better option: no excess of backup lasers but can still TAG, enough hardpoints to give the "continuous rain" that makes an LRM boat devastating. Jump jets (always nice in my book). So I'd go with that but just look at what you can do with less fiddle faddle http://mwo.smurfy-ne...293fcc5b93e1f8f. I don't think an LRM boat needs AMS, the BAP might be useful but teammate spotting is going to be infinitely better anyway, and most importantly you have 4xLRM10s for near-constant fire on the unfortunate souls downrange.

Edited by Greyrook, 17 September 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#5 Sir Herman von Bear

• PipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

@Greyrook but 4xLRM10 will cause some serius Heat at least that was i was noticing.

#6 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostBeares, on 17 September 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

@Greyrook but 4xLRM10 will cause some serius Heat at least that was i was noticing.

You chainfire them for the greatest effect which avoids any heat scaling. Just building it on smurfy prompted me to try it out and it's been working quite nicely (650 damage on the first game). A small victory in a very anemic launch day, but a victory nonetheless.

Edit: It is a little too hot on the hot maps, sacrificing a jump jet for another HS or a ton of ammo or whatever does help. I'm not sure if the single ML is really pulling its weight, but it does provide a small comfort in terms of personal morale.

Edited by Greyrook, 17 September 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#7 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

This is a classic CLPT-C1 build, i really like it as a support 'Mech.

#8 Skexy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

I use 4 SRM6s, 2 SSRMs 4 JJs and a 300XL engine and love it. I gotta say; your streak cat looks like you've got more ammo than you could go through.

-skexy

#9 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

I run something similar to this CPLT-C4 build, that's not too far off what you had. I think it's easier to defend with against lights, and the equipment compliments itself (Streaks and the Beagle).

#10 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

You don't need more than 500 SSRM ammo for a streak cat. I've never been able to deplete that.

#11 Shaftronics

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

For Case No. 2, I'll be siding with the C1 with this build.

CPLT-C1

Flexible little thing. If you really do need a bigger engine, eg. The XL 285 or so, feel free to remove the JJ's or replace the Large Lasers with something else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users