Keyboards, mice, joysticks, and mech controls

8 replies to this topic

#1 Ninja Snarl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

A question I've had for a while is how customizable the mech controls are when it comes to the various available devices. For myself, I've got an old Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 that works very well for MW4, but I prefer to use that only for gross control like a mech's facing and throttle. However, I also use a mouse at the same time for fine control and other functions, meaning I can't use the actual throttle lever on the joystick; instead, I have to use the hat controls, which works out okay but isn't great.

So along with just wondering if I can use the same setup for MWO, I'm specifically wondering if throttle could be mapped to the joystick's Y axis? It's sort of odd way to set things up compared to traditional joystick use, but it's more or less perfect for my use. I hardly expect something like that to be a priority if nobody but me is going to use it, but it would be nice to know if the capacity is or will be there.

#2 Urban UK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Yes this is what I want to do aswell, I either want to use 2 joysticks, or a joystick in the left hand, and my mouse in the right

In either situation I would have throttle on left hand joystick y axis, turn left and right on x axis

Right hand joystick/mouse would be for aiming

#3 cipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationState College, PA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

Since MWO is working with Razer for their own Josytick/console setup, chances are good that MWO will work with standard DirectInput (part of DirectX) for joysticks, including analog joystick input, hat/pov, and joystick/gamepad buttons.

But if you joystick can map buttons to keystrokes as well, that that's even better.

#4 EpicStoryGuy

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

MWLL has a tool that allows you to bind every action that you could want to do to any button you press. I would assume that as both are using the crysis engine, there is a good chance we could see full customization. I play using a joystick mouse and keyboard(not all at once) and actually am kinda whimsically interested in being able to use a gamepad, just to see how it would go.

#5 juse

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationTitusville, FL

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

I'm debating trying to get my Steel Battalion controller hooked up for it.

#6 killer panzer

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

View PostEpicStoryGuy, on 15 June 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

MWLL has a tool that allows you to bind every action that you could want to do to any button you press. I would assume that as both are using the crysis engine,

this is the way most simulation games are leaning, and i would consider MWO a sim.
i also have a question that extends from yours, will this game accept dual joysticks, one on the left and one on the right? also, can we map separate control pads (not joys) that are typically used in flight sims?

#7 M G

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

I ended up getting the Razer Nostromo and Naga Epic in hopes that I'll be able to have a solid key configuration for piloting. I've never been quite accurate with joysticks but it seems like the thumb controls on both the keypad and mouse might close the gap for "mouse and keyboard" play. At least I'm hopeful that is...

#8 Slaytan1c

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMy Battlestation, UK

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

I want to try and get a good config on my Razer hydra. Gonna take a while to get something that feels right so guessing high Mech repairs for a while!

#9 Honis

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

I saw it mentioned so I thought I'd check out Razer's site.

The periferal is a joystick, screen, keypad combo.
Looks like there's a throtlle next to the keypad.
Screen is mentioned to be touch capable.
The Joystick has feedback.
The keypad can macro and switch key profiles on the joystick.
The head of the joystick looks adjustable.

All concept features, we probably wont see the final version until Augest (almost a wild *** guess).

http://www.razerzone.com/artemis

When I played MW2, MW4, and Earthsiege (1-Starsiege) I used a joystick with Z-axis for twisting. Mapped that axis to my torso with up/down mapped to forward and aft I was pretty accurate. I've never played a mech/herc game online so I'm waiting until I get to play for a bit before picking a joystick/controller up at Fry's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users