Return The Atlas Glowing Eyes As A Toggle/able Feature

197 replies to this topic

Poll: Bring back the Atlas Glowing Eyes on a Toggle Switch (1003 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we get the glowing eyes back, with a toggle?

1. Yes (935 votes [93.22%])

Percentage of vote: 93.22%

2. No (27 votes [2.69%])

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

3. I don't care, I'm just here to troll you. (41 votes [4.09%])

Percentage of vote: 4.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostSephlock, on 28 September 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

How about making them glow brighter as the pilot gets more kills?

If he kills 11 mechs, the final enemy mech should be unable to look directly at him without being blinded.

:).

Posted Image

Not look him directly in the eyes but feel strangely compelled to head directly into his arc of fire, drawn in like a mariner to the mystical voice of a siren to his doom.

.Posted Image

#22 Pac Man

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Boobs.

#23 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

Why would anyone want a feature that they can't even see themselves? Also, the more idiots running around with glowing eyes, the more headshots I get on everyone who plays an Atlas.

#24 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Yes, please. I might launch MW:O just to see atlas eyes glowing again.

View PostDrunk Canuck, on 29 September 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

Why would anyone want a feature that they can't even see themselves? Also, the more idiots running around with glowing eyes, the more headshots I get on everyone who plays an Atlas.

Well, there are, by the current state of the votes, 90 players that I might be able to see with this now!

By my educated guess*, that must be 38.4 % of the active player population. I am optimistic I'd see it!

*) read: made this up on the spot:

#25 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

yep put them back on and payable MC wise for different colours

Edited by bloodnor, 29 September 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#26 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

At a dimmer glow, yes add them. At the original "OMG Shoot him in the Face!" from across the map, no.

I love the idea of the largest Mech in the game having the glow 'o doom feature, but the original implementation was funnier than hell. Gauss, AC2, and PPC fire would light up any Atlas that poked his head out, and that was without even having a night map. Dim the glow, to maybe visible within 300-600m, and then you've got my full support.

#27 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 27 September 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Once upon a time, Atlas eyes glowed a fierce, demonic red...and it was awesome.

Then people noticed that you could see that terrifying gaze...from across the battlefield, and due to player input, PGI removed this feature.

Personally, I thought it was an EXCELLENT perk of driving an Atlas to have those menacing peepers...

So...since we know PGI has coded the eyes...and they have a code for toggling (see missile bay doors) why not include this feature again and put it on a toggle for player preference?

"Then people noticed that you could see that terrifying gaze...from across the battlefield, and due to player input, PGI removed this feature."

You do realize that the Atlas head hit box is one of the eyes and a nice glowing red eye is like painting the head hit box? Folks had a good reason to request the removal of this feature. Anyone who would turn it on is basically saying please head shot me here.

#28 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Given how shaders and level of detail work I'm not entirely clear on why they removed the eyeglow rather than reduce the visibility distance. Did they ever say?

Edited by Blue Footed Booby, 30 September 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#29 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostMawai, on 30 September 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

"Then people noticed that you could see that terrifying gaze...from across the battlefield, and due to player input, PGI removed this feature."

You do realize that the Atlas head hit box is one of the eyes and a nice glowing red eye is like painting the head hit box? Folks had a good reason to request the removal of this feature. Anyone who would turn it on is basically saying please head shot me here.

People died to Atlas head shots a lot when the head was that entire face.
Once the head hit box was one of its eyes, this stopped being a problem.

At no point did it really matter whether the eyes glowed. If people where this precise with their shots, head shots would be the most common thing of every mech to die, if not from afar, than in a brawl. It's not happening.

View PostBlue Footed Booby, on 30 September 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Given how shaders and level of detail work I'm not entirely clear on why they removed the eyeglow rather than reduce the visibility distance. Did they ever say?

I think it was simply somethnig they couldn't really support anymore once the paint customization system was added. It necessitated a lot of changes to pre-existing mech models. I don't have the feel that they actually were aiming at "nerfing" the Atlas eyes away.

#30 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 30 September 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

I think it was simply somethnig they couldn't really support anymore once the paint customization system was added. It necessitated a lot of changes to pre-existing mech models. I don't have the feel that they actually were aiming at "nerfing" the Atlas eyes away.

That sounds plausible enough. I could totally imagine getting the paint system working involving some topology tweaks or something along those lines for the models, and the artists/devs deciding it's not worth updating the glow maps when all non-cosmetic effects were unintentional.

#31 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:46 AM

View PostDrunk Canuck, on 29 September 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

That is something you have to prove - why is it more simpler to hit a Atlas with glowing eyes in the cockpit but without glowing eyes?
Woah - i have seen only its eyes at 2000m and made a perfect headshot that blows him appart?

That is nonsense...the only weapon capable of dealing headshots at range with precision is the gauss...but you need two...and the minimal range is 920m - to do that. At 900m you should be able to hit its head with or without glowing eyes -

so i say - the head shot killing or red glowing atlas is a mwo legend.

#32 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

It was an awesome chassis perk, loved those Atlas eyes. Compared to the Catapults massive face quirk, even the downside is pretty easy to take.

Yes to Glowing Atlas eyes!

Yes to giving some other mechs glowing cockpit features too!

Edited by Ozric, 01 October 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#33 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

I approve of this feature.

- It looks cool
- It makes it easier for me to headshot nooby Atlas pilots in the face

#34 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

This atlas
Spoiler

Is thinking this
Spoiler

On a more serious note, yes, this is a very good idea.

#35 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

For people worried about the 'noobs' giving their position away with red glowing eyes...are these the same noobs that fire their lasers into the air because it looks cool? 'cause I'm pretty sure we won't be taking THAT way from them anytime soon.

PGI can't fix stupid...there's already plenty of ways for people to screw your position over...

I'd like the glowing eyes back...and if they reduce the distance at which it can be seen, fine.

#36 NeuroMute

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

I want glowing eyes. I think Atlas Scout Lances arent supposed to sneak up on anything, theyre supposed to make things run or disappear - permanently. Let them see me, let them know I'll come for them! Let them know I'm pissed!
"[...]as ugly and foreboding and conceivable, so that fear itself will be your ally!" - How does that go with "Don't let them see me!" Dont drive it if you cant handle a little glowing awesomeness ;)

(Statements in this post may be exaggerated due to the excitement of the author :ph34r: )

Edit: Perhaps it would be easier (hahaha, the programmers will curse me now) to link it to the cockpit light. Lights off - eyes off. Lights full - glowing eyes.

Edited by NeuroMute, 03 October 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#37 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostBlue Footed Booby, on 30 September 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Whoa - a man with an educated and rational answer?! What are you doing on these forums. This is no place for education or reason! :-p

#38 Donas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 416 posts
  • Locationon yet another world looking for a Bar and Grill

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 03 October 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Whoa - a man with an educated and rational answer?! What are you doing on these forums. This is no place for education or reason! :-p

Best remark I've read today. Focus, you never disappoint. lol

#39 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Well, while we don't have thousands of votes...it looks like the majority of people who cared enough to vote seem to be in favor...kinda hope the devs take a peek.

#40 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostPac Man, on 28 September 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Boobs.

I'd pay real money for mechboobs. It'd be even better than trucknuts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users