#2181 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

In space or on an airless planetoid, when in sunlight, it gets very hot. Without air to dissipate the heat caused by direct sunlight, heat buildup is a severe issue. Passive heat dissipation doesn't work without atmosphere, you need to radiate heat or use a heat pump (Battlemech heatsinks are heat pumps)

Don;t ask silly questions about weapon ranges. BT weapon ranges are based on a board game.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 17 July 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#2182 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostBrenden, on 17 July 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

Why aren't there twenty-meter tall mechs.
Why is it the HPG is so warm since it's in the void of outer space (could the station be so hot that it's actually keeping the area we fight in at -10C*?)
Shouldn't the lasers go on forever?
Why am I asking you all this?

Why aren't there twenty-meter tall mechs.
we do not yet have tall thin heavy/assault Mechs

Why is it the HPG is so warm since it's in the void of outer space (could the station be so hot that it's actually keeping the area we fight in at -10C*?)
the International Space Station goes from about -150c to +120c depending on where it is in orbit, vacuum does not mean cold, also, as even when jumping you can hear sound effects from nearby Mechs, HPG is not in a vacuum (sound does not travel in a vacuum) HPG must have an atmosphere (albeit relatively thin compared to Earth)

in atmosphere a laser beam would loose a portion of its energy every time it hits something (e.g. an oxygen or nitrogen atom), however lasers should be far longer range than they are. Lasers should also impart heat to what they hit

only you know the answer to this question

#2183 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

They do. You can flashlight the opponents base if you want. You just lose the damage, which is a very rough approximation of real physics. One of my colleagues is a laser expert, and me and my friend asked him what would be needed to actually build such a laser weapon. His answer: we already can build such lasers, but it's such a big energy burning machine that nobody wants to build a big one. The small version of such lasers is used in the industry already, for example to cut metal without touching it.

Because you are a silly nerd among other silly nerds :D

Edited by Denolven, 17 July 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#2184 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:32 AM

Lasers actually stop at some point. (probably their max range)
You can see that sometimes on Colony if someone wants to burn you with ERLL, but is too far.
You would then see the beams "end" to get closer as the shooter moves towards you.
It looks like the impact sparks at the "end".

#2185 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 18 July 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

Lasers actually stop at some point.

But I saw lasers flying across the sky on Alpine. Are you sure that the light show I put on is actually not seen by my opponents? :D

#2186 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Is there any visual indication that a mech is being hit with TAG (i.e., reticule turns red, something in the HUD you can see when the mech is targeted)?

Thanks!

#2187 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostSon of the Flood, on 18 July 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Is there any visual indication that a mech is being hit with TAG (i.e., reticule turns red, something in the HUD you can see when the mech is targeted)?

Thanks!

If you're talking about your own 'Mech, no you can't see when you're tagged. If you're talking about an ally or an enemy 'Mech, there's a little icon (that looks like a crosshair) that appears near their "dorito" that shows they are currently being tagged.

Posted Image

Tagging an enemy 'Mech used to make your reticle light up to show that you were hitting the mech, but as of like 2 patches ago it doesn't any more.

Edit: Picture

Edited by DEMAX51, 18 July 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#2188 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 18 July 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

If you're talking about your own 'Mech, no you can't see when you're tagged. If you're talking about an ally or an enemy 'Mech, there's a little icon (that looks like a crosshair) that appears near their "dorito" that shows they are currently being tagged.

Tagging an enemy 'Mech used to make your reticle light up to show that you were hitting the mech, but as of like 2 patches ago it doesn't any more.

Edit: Picture

Thanks man, this is helpful!

#2189 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

Lasers do have a visual cut off. It seems to be somewhere further than their max damage cut off as you can be hit by a laser yet receive no damage because it is out of range. They cut off at all because the computer has to stop rending the beam somewhere. It can't render it out forever as it's dealing with concrete numbers and dimensions, not infinity. Heck, the sky doesn't go on forever. It's a skybox.

#2190 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:08 AM

I don't know for sure... Are unlocked (C-Bill or MC ones) colors per mech or available for all mechs?

#2191 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:09 AM

View PostEmpyrus, on 19 July 2014 - 03:08 AM, said:

I don't know for sure... Are unlocked (C-Bill or MC ones) colors per mech or available for all mechs?

All colours you buy are available for all mechs for unlimited use.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 19 July 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#2192 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

Ah, great! Thanks. I thought that would be the case but i never knew for sure.

#2193 Shaade Silentpaw

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Just a question about something i'm unsure of;

Are clan mechs ever going to be available to buy with c-bills like IS mechs are, or are they always going to be a premium thing?

And if they will be available, is there any expected time for their arrival?

#2194 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostShaade Silentpaw, on 20 July 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

Just a question about something i'm unsure of;

Are clan mechs ever going to be available to buy with c-bills like IS mechs are, or are they always going to be a premium thing?

And if they will be available, is there any expected time for their arrival?

They will come out for C-bills one at a time, in a staggered release delayed after their MC staggered release.
There is an actual schedule for them posted in the Announcements forum http://mwomercs.com/...lease-schedule/

First one (Kit Fox) is in August!

Edited by Redshift2k5, 20 July 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#2195 Shaade Silentpaw

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 20 July 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

They will come out for C-bills one at a time, in a staggered release delayed after their MC staggered release.
There is an actual schedule for them posted in the Announcements forum http://mwomercs.com/...lease-schedule/

First one (Kit Fox) is in August!

Ah, I see. Thanks =3

#2196 Perq

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

How do I get a decent, starter mech without spending loads of $$$?

#2197 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostPerq, on 21 July 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Well, if by $$$ you mean actual real world money...

Play your first 25 games in the trial 'Mechs. You'll earn a "Cadet Bonus" for each of these games, which will allow you to earn a decent amount of c-bills (in-game currency) pretty quickly. It'll also give you a basic idea of what type of 'Mech you want to purchase.

When you're ready, go into the Mechlab, change the filter to "purchasable" and spend your hard-earned c-bills on your new ride. But do note: Chamipion 'Mechs and Hero 'Mechs are only available for MC (real world money). Standard variants can all be bought for in-game currency (with the exception of Clan 'Mechs, which are releasing for C-bills over the next few months).

To make sure you get exactly what you want, you may want to toy around with builds on the smurfy website first, which will allow you to see exactly how much a build will cost (including the price of the mech as well as any items or enhancements you add to it).

Edited by DEMAX51, 21 July 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#2198 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostPerq, on 21 July 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

If you don't want to buy , you'll have to:
  • save your c-bills (the cadet bonus is outlined above)
  • Carefully choose a mech variant and buy it with C-bills(not a hero mech or champion mech)
  • Upgrade the stock mech with c-bills (if the stock mech does not include upgrades, some do but they tend to cost more C-bills)
As for actually choosing a mech, that's a deeper topic. Here's a thread about choosing a mech to buy.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 21 July 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#2199 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Question (if this has even been mentioned by Russ/Paul)

When Community Warfare rolls around, are there plans to retain the current Non-CW game modes? (Assault/Conquest/Skirmish)These would then, (as they are now) not affect any faction balances in CW and would be self-contained games.

Mixed IS/Clan groups aren't canonically ideal, no, but I sure wouldn't mind if they stuck around in addition to CW. Don't want to be forced to pilot my Nova with only clans as teammates.

#2200 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 22 July 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

Question (if this has even been mentioned by Russ/Paul)

When Community Warfare rolls around, are there plans to retain the current Non-CW game modes? (Assault/Conquest/Skirmish)These would then, (as they are now) not affect any faction balances in CW and would be self-contained games.

Mixed IS/Clan groups aren't canonically ideal, no, but I sure wouldn't mind if they stuck around in addition to CW. Don't want to be forced to pilot my Nova with only clans as teammates.

Good question, but we don't really know. will regular matches still be a part of CW (house vs house plus lone wolves) or will it be a seperate thing, what happens if you have both IS and clan mechs, etc etc is still really murky.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 22 July 2014 - 02:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users