10297 replies to this topic

#3581 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:56 AM

basically the way Matchmaker works is as Banditman said, but with a few additions.

first tries to match teams by Elo and 3 of each weight class, the longer it takes the more matchmaker will relax those rules, if it takes less than 30 seconds to find a match your teams average Elo should be very close to the enemy teams Elo with players within a relatively small deviation in terms of individual Elo, and you should have 3 of each weight class, the longer it takes you to find a match the more the matchmaker will loosen the requirements (so 1 elite player could potentially get put in with a bunch of new players against a team of average players), for groups it averages the group Elo before matchmaking starts.

in CW matches the only matchmaking is to ensure there are 12 players on each team, it does not take into account dropdeck makeup or player skill level

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 27 March 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#3582 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:13 PM

View Postjss78, on 27 March 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

Case in point, I've been eyeing the Vindicator with some interest: it looks really cool. However, the more I look at the VND the more it looks like bad excuse to not bring a Shadow Hawk instead: a mech with a basically similar profile (jumpy humanoid medium, well distributed hardpoints), but which can pack heavier armour and/or guns.

So if there's no inherent benefit in sparing my team that 10 tons, I wonder if I'd better stick with the Shadow Hawk.

They've covered the MM part above so I'll comment on this part. Yes, the VND is considered a poor mech right now. As for the broader issue of bring max tonnage for a weight class, don't let that bother you too much. Pilot what you like. Quirks have boosted many poorer chassis to greater status so tonnage is not as important as quirks.

#3583 Out0fAmmo

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

I've always wondered, what are all those screens in my cockpit that just say "auto detect: no"? Some mechs seem to have health or ammo statuses displayed on those screens, but I can't figure out what causes that.

#3584 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

View PostOut0fAmmo, on 28 March 2015 - 03:17 PM, said:

I've always wondered, what are all those screens in my cockpit that just say "auto detect: no"? Some mechs seem to have health or ammo statuses displayed on those screens, but I can't figure out what causes that.

They were all supposed to work at some point, but got set aside in favor of other developmental priorities. The few that work are on the oldest mechs, as a rule.

#3585 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

View PostSarlic, on 21 March 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

What a terrible advice. Because we have a flawed UI does not means he should have known by forehand.

A flawed UI lead him to not read? Sorry but 1st time through you either slow down and read, or expect to screw up and start over.

The F2P regarding this game plain awful.

Starting to see a pattern here, but ya know what? If you don't like it, don't play it. I mean seriously, you can play everything for free. Start a new account for each mech you want. The Cadet money will get you well on your way even for heavies.

I say your advice is bull of crap. Aside of Jedi's advice which is far more interesting if that was a dialog in-game if you want to add more mechs or mechbays.

I say you are "bull of crap". Pretty obvious that whatever your age and employment/salary status, you want it for free.

I suggest you read up on economics (Mises, not Keynes) and figure out why they don't give it all away for free.

#3586 MajorKite

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

I bought a couple mechs with some MC the other day, a Nova prime and a Hunchie, and somehow an Adder-B appeared in one of my hangers even though I do not remember buying it. Did I accidentally buy this somehow or is there something I'm missing?

#3587 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostMajorKite, on 29 March 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

I bought a couple mechs with some MC the other day, a Nova prime and a Hunchie, and somehow an Adder-B appeared in one of my hangers even though I do not remember buying it. Did I accidentally buy this somehow or is there something I'm missing?

Did you lose more MC than you were expecting?
SIDENOTE: don't buy anything with MC that you can buy with C-bills

#3588 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

You didn't happen do buy the $30 tier didn't you? There's currently a promotion that gifts you mechs with certain MC packages.

Takes a while for them to arrive sometimes.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 29 March 2015 - 11:56 AM.

#3589 MajorKite

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 29 March 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

You didn't happen do buy the $30 tier didn't you? There's currently a promotion that gifts you mechs with certain MC packages.

Takes a while for them to arrive sometimes.

That's got to be it, I did buy the 30 buck package. Sweet.

#3590 xxSilverWolfxx

• PipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:37 AM

I'm a new player and doing ok with some heavy/medium brawler (HBK-4SP, CTF) and kinda like the jumpy VND-1AA dual ppc (Elited the VNDs).... but it just feel like I want a jumpy fast moving mech that hit people in the back rather than brawl with them.

So the question is: Is the Firestarter a good start? Is it newplayer-friendly?

#3591 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

The Firestarter is probably the best IS Light mech in the game right now. That doesn't necessarily make it new player friendly.

Light mechs take a special kind of crazy to pilot. They just cannot take a hit. One mistake in a Light is all you get. Even playing a Light well, you're going to take a lot of glancing blows, and those add up.

They are also the most expensive mechs to pilot after Assaults. You can't pilot a Light effectively without a big XL engine, and I'm sure (or at least hope) you're aware of just how costly those can be. My team did an analysis of this not long ago, and found that it was cheaper to field Heavies than Lights, at least in terms of Cbills spent to create a strong configuration.

#3592 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:16 AM

Keep in mind though that Firestarters have some weird blend of messy hitboxes and broken hitreg which gives them a lot more durability than they should have. This can be considered a good thing, but will almost guarantee to teach you bad habits with it. I recommend to learn the lights on anything else and then use the good habits to break the **** out of that FS9. We might even get PGI to fix it then ;P

#3593 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:20 AM

View PostxxSilverWolfxx, on 30 March 2015 - 04:37 AM, said:

I'm a new player and doing ok with some heavy/medium brawler (HBK-4SP, CTF) and kinda like the jumpy VND-1AA dual ppc (Elited the VNDs).... but it just feel like I want a jumpy fast moving mech that hit people in the back rather than brawl with them.

So the question is: Is the Firestarter a good start? Is it newplayer-friendly?

View PostBanditman, on 30 March 2015 - 05:04 AM, said:

The Firestarter is probably the best IS Light mech in the game right now. That doesn't necessarily make it new player friendly.

Light mechs take a special kind of crazy to pilot. They just cannot take a hit. One mistake in a Light is all you get. Even playing a Light well, you're going to take a lot of glancing blows, and those add up.

They are also the most expensive mechs to pilot after Assaults. You can't pilot a Light effectively without a big XL engine, and I'm sure (or at least hope) you're aware of just how costly those can be. My team did an analysis of this not long ago, and found that it was cheaper to field Heavies than Lights, at least in terms of Cbills spent to create a strong configuration.

building and fully upgrading a Firestarter will cost you about 10,000,000 for the first, the second and third will be much cheaper because you can swap the XL (usualy 295 or 280 for a Firestarter) engine which costs almost 5 million on its own.

Firestarters are widely considered to be the best Light so just bear in mind piloting a Firestarter you are a high priority target for the enemy.

but yes I think a firestarter is a good match for your requirements.

there are 2 other Mechs which fit your requirements,
the Spider is lighter and lightly armed (indeed 1 variant is not able to carry more than 2 small/medium class Lasers or 1 large class laser), but is probably the most mobile Mech currently in game due to high speeds and lots of jumpjets

the Jenner, lasers and missiles, big center torso, and great ability to hit targets above and below, it is faster and more agile then the Firestarter, which is slightly more heavily armed and able to absorb more damage but is also a higher priority target.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 30 March 2015 - 05:21 AM.

#3594 xxSilverWolfxx

• PipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:25 AM

I already have a XL 295 from my poptart VND-1AA so I guess it cut the price down a half :D
And thanks for the advices though, I will observe some more and decide to go FS now or later :)

#3595 Ixidor Dinne

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPlanet Arkab, Buckminster Prefacture

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

Are there any mechs that come with a xl235 to xl250 in them stock?

#3596 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:33 AM

The Panther fits your description too but is not yet available for cbills.

#3597 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

View PostIxidor Dinne, on 30 March 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

As far as cbill variants go, the Treb 7M has an XL250. That looks to be it for those two sizes.

#3598 Ixidor Dinne

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPlanet Arkab, Buckminster Prefacture

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

I have the Panthers, and want to but a bigger xl in them, biggest I have that fits is an xl210, was just seeing if there was a mech with the bigger xl that would fit, I prefer to buy my xl's with a mech included.

Ah ok trebs it is, Thanks Jz

Edited by Ixidor Dinne, 30 March 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#3599 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:44 AM

View PostIxidor Dinne, on 30 March 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

Yes.
You can check the list of mechs with their stock engines on http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/
Just ctrl+F to search for "XL 250" or "XL 235" :)
XL 235 in the Blackjack BJ-1(champion) http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=122&l=stock
XL 250 in the Enforder 5D and 5P http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=122&l=stock
also in the Trebuchet 7M http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab#i=59&l=stock

#3600 Out0fAmmo

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:55 PM

Do PPCs (including Clan and ER versions) actually have a minimum range like the wiki says? I've seen mechs get kills with PPCs well within 90 meters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users