10296 replies to this topic

#4061 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

I believe a savior kill is when you kill an enemy that just damaged a friendly mech.

#4062 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 June 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

Where the sam-duckery is the quirk information for owned mechs in the new mechlab? I swear with each new layout while they get some things better they tend to make other things worse. Yes, the Expanded Display (dropdown menu from Column Display) is fantastic. But even then, still no quirk info.

Not sure if this has been mentioned (haven't read all the following posts), but if you hover over a mounted weapon it will give you the weapon info including any quirks that apply to that weapon only.

#4063 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:54 PM

View PostRawnblaed, on 30 June 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

So about 2 minutes in to the vid this guy shuts down after alpha strikeing. When he comes back up, if I am understanding him, he says something about getting a headshot [kill]. How does he know it was a headshot?

Actually, I think he said that he got headshot while he was overheated. (His paper doll head is orange.)

Edited by Chaosity, 30 June 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#4064 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostRawnblaed, on 30 June 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

So about 2 minutes in to the vid this guy shuts down after alpha strikeing. When he comes back up, if I am understanding him, he says something about getting a headshot [kill]. How does he know it was a headshot?

Well, he was talking about his mech I believe. However, you can tell you got a headshot kill if you are locked on to the enemy mech. You'll see their paper doll lose the head section (I Killed a spider last night where I took out it's ST, and head). Another way to know is sometimes simple math. If the mech seems fresh. I fire a 32 damage alpha, landing near the head, and the mech dies. It's safe to assume I hit the head.

View PostRawnblaed, on 30 June 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

What's a savior kill? Is there a thread that lists all the different c-bill/xp bonuses and what they mean?

A savior kill is when you kill an opponent that is attacking a critically injured ally, if I am not mistaken. The rewards thread is somewhere, I'll look for it (I need to bookmark that).

#4065 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 30 June 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

A savior kill is when you kill an opponent that is attacking a critically injured ally, if I am not mistaken. The rewards thread is somewhere, I'll look for it (I need to bookmark that).

kill assist counts as savior kill too, that's for sure
albeit the (original) patch notes don't say it...

#4066 Honeybadgers

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:22 PM

Is there any way to change the controls to use the mouse to turn and the "a" and "d" of "WASD" to do the torso twisting? been using this since mechwarrior 4 and it's seriously driving me bloody insane.

#4067 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:34 AM

Alright, I have finally decided to finish making my Raven RVN-3L to the master tier, but to do that, I also have to buy (back stupidly enough) the 4x, which only needs 2,000 more XP until it finishes the elite tier.
Now the question first, about the Raven, is, once I have finished the elite tier of the 4x, even without the 2x (one of the most horrid 'Mechs of all time), would I still be able to unlock the mastery on my 3L (I already have enough EX to master the Mech aleady)? Or would I have to buy the 2x (again!) and complete all of its elite tier as well before I am able to unlock and master the 3L? I was kind of hoping that once I finish the elite tier on the 4x, I will not need to re-buy the 2x.

The next question (sorry) is about heavy 'Mechs. I do have used a Catapult before and while I enjoy them enormously), I do not want them again. Besides that and a Thunderbolt, which are the personal favourites of people who like them?
(For the record, I enjoy long rance battles, so LRMs are a must, but I could can go either way on the jump jets; and I enjoy brawling a fair bit, but more of a laser-energy kind of person than ballistic weapons).

#4068 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:41 AM

with regards to the Raven,

you need another 2 Light Mechs at full Elite to unlock the Master tier on the RVN-3L, so you can use any 3 of the Ravens (2X, 4X, 3L, H), so assuming you have the 3L and are going to do the 4X, purchase the 2X or Huggin and get that to full elite
alternatavely you get another Light Chassis and complete the Elite skills on at least one of them.

as for Heavy brawlers, I prefer speed so any of the Clan Heavies can work but I personally prefer Griffin and Hunchback for Brawling, I do not like brawling in IS heavies, sorry.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 02 July 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#4069 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 01 July 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

with regards to the Raven,

you need another 2 Light Mechs at full Elite to unlock the Master tier on the RVN-3L, so you can use any 3 of the Ravens (2X, 4X, 3L, H), so assuming you have the 4L and are going to do the 4X, purchase the 2X or Huggin and get that to full elite
alternatavely you get another Light Chassis and complete the Elite skills on at least one of them.

as for Heavy brawlers, I prefer speed so any of the Clan Heavies can work but I personally prefer Griffin and Hunchback for Brawling, I do not like brawling in IS heavies, sorry.

Ah so what you are saying is that after I finish making the 4x elite, I will still have to buy the 2x and finish its elite tier also? It seems kind of odd to me that I have to that, though, as when I was mastering my Vindicator, I only make two 'Mechs complete the elite tier (although I did finish the basic and do 1 part of the elite tier for another vindicator variant).

#4070 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:07 AM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 01 July 2015 - 02:47 AM, said:

Ah so what you are saying is that after I finish making the 4x elite, I will still have to buy the 2x and finish its elite tier also? It seems kind of odd to me that I have to that, though, as when I was mastering my Vindicator, I only make two 'Mechs complete the elite tier (although I did finish the basic and do 1 part of the elite tier for another vindicator variant).

here is the way it works
you need to complete Basics on at least 3 varients of a chassis to unlock elite on a Mech.
you need to complete Elite on 3 variants of a weight class to unlock master, they do not have to be of the same chassis, so e.g. 1 Raven, 1 Kit Fox and 1 Urbanmech.

so if you already have completed Elite skills on at least 2 other Lights you will get the Master tier unlocked as soon as you complete Elite on that Mech.

with the Vindicator I am guessing you had already elited another 2 Medium variants

#4071 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:13 AM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 01 July 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

Alright, I have finally decided to finish making my Raven RVN-3L to the master tier, but to do that, I also have to buy (back stupidly enough) the 4x, which only needs 2,000 more XP until it finishes the elite tier.
Now the question first, about the Raven, is, once I have finished the elite tier of the 4x, even without the 2x (one of the most horrid 'Mechs of all time), would I still be able to unlock the mastery on my 3L (I already have enough EX to master the Mech aleady)? Or would I have to buy the 2x (again!) and complete all of its elite tier as well before I am able to unlock and master the 3L? I was kind of hoping that once I finish the elite tier on the 4x, I will not need to re-buy the 2x.

The next question (sorry) is about heavy 'Mechs. I do have used a Catapult before and while I enjoy them enormously), I do not want them again. Besides that and a Thunderbolt, which are the personal favourites of people who like them?
(For the record, I enjoy long rance battles, so LRMs are a must, but I could can go either way on the jump jets; and I enjoy brawling a fair bit, but more of a laser-energy kind of person than ballistic weapons).

Since it seems you have no elites on any other light mech. You need to get full elites on all 3 ravens, before you can get master on the 3L. (Try running the 2X with MLs. They work rather well on it. Or LLs.)

EDIT: For heavies, I enjoy Orions, and Thunderbolts. The Orion can do well on any range. I prefer short range though, since it's hitboxes are a problem, and they become worse on long range builds, if you are using an XL engine.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 01 July 2015 - 03:15 AM.

#4072 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:39 AM

View PostRawnblaed, on 30 June 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

What's a savior kill? Is there a thread that lists all the different c-bill/xp bonuses and what they mean?

If an enemy attacks an ally who has breached armor (damaged internal structures) and you damage this enemy in 10 (or less) seconds of his (enemy target's) death, you get a saviour kill bonus if your ally survives.

I'm not sure if any armor breach is enough, or if its only for (center) torso crits, or if your friendly need to have internals below x%, but he needs to be crit and you need to kill/assist to kill the attacker.

#4073 Honeybadgers

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

So no, there's no way to play the game with the turn keys to be the torso twist keys?

Seriously becoming a deal breaker for me. I'm a dozen games in and this still feels HORRIBLE.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 01 July 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#4074 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 01 July 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

If an enemy attacks an ally who has breached armor (damaged internal structures) and you damage this enemy in 10 (or less) seconds of his (enemy target's) death, you get a saviour kill bonus if your ally survives.

I'm not sure if any armor breach is enough, or if its only for (center) torso crits, or if your friendly need to have internals below x%, but he needs to be crit and you need to kill/assist to kill the attacker.

50%
>Savior Kills: Upon killing an enemy Mech. If that enemy had been attacking a teammate who has a critical component that is 50% health within the last 10 seconds you will be awarded 7500CBills, and 150XP.

that's the only description of it in the patch notes which i found, the reward was changed later to 60xp and 4500 c-bills

pgi should properly compose the notes... it's misleading at best that you shouldn't get the killing blow to get it, it's pretty unclear from the notes

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 01 July 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#4075 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:16 AM

View PostHoneybadgers, on 01 July 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

So no, there's no way to play the game with the turn keys to be the torso twist keys?

Seriously becoming a deal breaker for me. I'm a dozen games in and this still feels HORRIBLE.

There is no way anyone could turn the mech with the mouse without having huge problems navigating when the mouse is at the end of the table/mousepad...
If you were talking about a Joystick, which doesn't need to be lifted up every few seconds to keep turning, I could understand this.

You want to be able to keep turning your mech with the least amount of "work" and to control the crosshairs with the most precision.
That is the reason KB turning +mouse aiming is still way better than any Joystick config (which just isn't precise enough for aiming).
Using Mouse turning and keyboard aiming (twisting) would be using a lot of work (movement) for turning and nearly no precission for aiming.

edit: in MW4 the mechs were way slower and it was much more arcade style, so you "could" do some turning with the mouse, but how would you aim then? using A and D to aim left/right and the mouse only for up/down?
bah! no way that is fun!

Edited by Reno Blade, 01 July 2015 - 10:19 AM.

#4076 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

Quick question:

Which settings allow me to see the missile trails in the air?

Thank you :)

#4077 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostFlipOver, on 01 July 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

Quick question:

Which settings allow me to see the missile trails in the air?

Thank you :)

highest on everything should work, but I believe Missile trails would come under particle effects, try settings, video, advanced, and set particle effects to the highest they will go, launch a game and see if trails are visible, particle effects are probably the most demanding effects so try at all levels and find the minimum you can see them on.

#4078 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 01 July 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

highest on everything should work, but I believe Missile trails would come under particle effects, try settings, video, advanced, and set particle effects to the highest they will go, launch a game and see if trails are visible, particle effects are probably the most demanding effects so try at all levels and find the minimum you can see them on.

Thank you so much.
I left particles on medium to not stress too much the hardware but I will try to see where I can get it to go without dropping on FPS.

Again, thank you so much for that info.

Edit - Confirmed, to see the trails you (I) need to set the particles to High (at the least). Thanks again!

Edited by FlipOver, 02 July 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#4079 Rawnblaed

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 44 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Inner Sphere

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

If I am spotting for lrm boats do I need a lock or just visual

#4080 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:14 PM

you are not spotting for lrm boats, you spot for everybody, always press 'r', it helps your whole team

you should press r for a red square frame to appear, when you do it other people can see that enemy mech on their minimap (and know it's there) and lrm/streak boats can lock it

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users