I Wish Information Warfare Worked Like This (Would Fix Ecm/bap/tag/narc, Please Share Your Input)

28 replies to this topic

Poll: I wish Information Warfare worked like this (please share your input) (64 member(s) have cast votes)

I agree with the general suggestions about information warfare (ECM+BAP+TAG+NARC, the main point of the post)

1. Yes (61 votes [95.31%])

Percentage of vote: 95.31%

2. No (3 votes [4.69%])

Percentage of vote: 4.69%

I agree with the finetuning of pilot skill tree to 3 levels

1. Yes (57 votes [89.06%])

Percentage of vote: 89.06%

2. No (7 votes [10.94%])

Percentage of vote: 10.94%

I agree about the speculation in the end about electromagnetic disturbances etc. in maps and this feature should be investigated

1. Yes (57 votes [89.06%])

Percentage of vote: 89.06%

2. No (7 votes [10.94%])

Percentage of vote: 10.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

TL;DR: What do information warfare, pilot skill tree and even LRMs have in common? They can and should be tweaked together, individual tinkering of said systems will not give us what we want. In fact, I found that they can all be made to work much better together with surprisingly little effort. Below I have outlined my proposal, which is hard to explain in few words. I've tried to make the points brief and I even have pictures. Please read and vote. Thank you.

I wanted to see all factors affecting Information Warfare (IW) with one glance so I can better understand them so I put them in a table. This is what we have now:

Posted Image
Table 1. Current situation.

Currently, MWO Information Warfare relies on the following factors:

- On/off denial of information by using ECM. Simultaneously, ECM disables the usability of locking missiles.

- BAP is used as a hard counter for ECM. Basically only enables lights with SSRMs to brawl with ECM mechs.

- TAG enables LRMs to lock on ECM covered targets.

The result of this on/off approach is this:

- Lights cannot properly scout i.e. finding an ECM covered team and letting own team know WITHOUT letting enemy team know (like when TAGging).

- ECM mechs are superior to other variants lacking the device.

- LRMs are the only weapon in the game to which there is a hard counter. Imagine aiming with your gauss/laser/PPC and Bitching Betty telling you that you simply cannot use the weapon. This results in LRMs being only usable when boated and boosted with accessories.

What information warfare should enable us to do:

- Use lights to flank the enemy and gather information of their location just by being in the right place at the right time

- Not enable another LRMapocalypse

- Instead, make LRMs a weapon people want to bring just to skin some armor off before brawling. I.e. I want people to actually install that singular LRM20 to their Atlas or LRM10 to a dragon, which nobody does nowadays partially because of the fear that a single enemy ECM mech can render a third of their arsenal useless. This has to happen without making LRMboats too powerful.

- Use information to gain advantage and denial of information/false information to disadvantage/confuse enemies

After staring at the above excel sheet for a while, I came to a conclusion that surprised me: the above points can be addressed with very little tinkering. The table lists 4 features, which we currently play with:

- Targeting range

- Target information gathering speed

- Target locking speed

- Target decay speed

If we modify these a little and add one more, the number of targets a mech can target simultaneously, we would get far. The capability to hold several targets simultaneously comes with BAP and target info gathering. This enables a scout behind enemy lines to hit the targeting key and hold several mechs targeted (filled trianle). This would 1) inform friendlies that the scout has found not just one enemy 2) enable better directing fire for friendly LRMs, perhaps making them worthy even in organized clan battles. The right corner would show info only of the most recent mech targeted.

And this brings us to the information gathering ability, which should be integral part of IW. At the moment, when we press the target key, we get the target surrounded with brackets. After a few seconds, we see the mech type and then the damage doll in the upper right corner. This should not stop there! Additionally, modules, engine (XL or normal), ammo and finally even other enemy mech locations should be able to be hacked from the enemy mech's computer.

Such valuable information should not come easily. In the table 2 below, I have listed suggested times and ranges for these actions. The higher level actions require BAP and/or target info gathering module. The point is that a light who has sneaked behind an enemy LRMboat or command mech behind lines should be able to gather information from that mech if you get close enough and if you face the mech all the time (hard time doing it while brawling). However, I can understand if the other enemy mech locations is too much. All this information can be shown in or near the enemy mech info in the upper right corner.

Posted Image
Table 2. Extended BAP functions. TIG = target info gathering. EDIT: Mech heat should definitely be here and come 3rd after mech damage. Enemy mech heat should not be available by default but require TIG and ~10 seconds of targeting.

BAP would no longer have to be a hard counter for ECM, because ECM itself would change followingly:

- ECM no longer completely blocks (listed as -100 % range in table 1, I know this isn't entirely accurate) weapons that need locks. Instead, within the 180 m range, it halves the detection range of the mech trying to detect it (listed as -50 % range in table 3). Thus anyone with advanced sensor range L1 (+15% = 920 m range) could detect and start targeting an ECM mech inside the 180 m bubble at 460 m.

- The time to lock weapons into mechs in ECM area is increased from 50 % to 100 %. This could even be 150 % or 200 %, depending how much there is a need to compensate for the loss of complete block.

If you have read this far, thank you. This ECM+BAP modification is my main point, which IMHO itself would be enough to make IW much better. I have listed the effects of my suggestions in this table below. If you still have the attention span to hear a bit more, I will explain the other tweaks, which are visible in the table and which would help a lot with pilot tree and LRMs. They are also somewhat important for a proper synergy between different sensory devices.

Posted Image
Table 3. Suggested features.

Ever since default sensor range was nerfed from 1000 m to 800 m, LRMs are the only weapon, which you cannot use at its full range at default. It's not a big deal especially since LRMs really don't do much damage at 800-1000 m range but nevertheless I think TAG range should be 800 m.

ECM is no longer a hard counter and its target locking delay was doubled and with this train of thought TAG target locking time decrease is nerfed from -50 % to -35 % to make this ECM vs. TAG gap even wider due to ECM no longer being a hard counter.

However, TAG target locking nerf is mainly due to making NARC work and have people choose it (willingly) over Artemis IV. Thus, NARC range is increased to 700 m from 450 m and the target decay time is increased to 45 s from 30 s. I don't exactly know what is the mechanic (never seen it used ;) with NARC beacon getting knocked off because of the mech being fired upon but come on, it weighs 3 tons and takes 2 slots! The NARC beacon should not come off at all. I don't care if it's unrealistic, I'm just trying to make the damn thing work.

The other tweaks basically involve making most of the skills have 3 levels. The end levels should cost shedloads of GXP (20-30k) and I know many people wouldn't like that. My point is to have some more endgame content. I mean the game is barely published and I have ~30 mechs mastered and 100 M cash and I know I'm not nearly even the most hardcore in this (some people have ~90 mechs). So I'm really the one who doesn't mind the grind (C-bills nor (G)XP). But nevertheless the big point being with these is that NOT having L3 in everything does not exclude you from IW. For example, the synergy with BAP+target info gathering works already at TIG L1. The additional L2-L3 are just for additional (but minor, not even linear) benefits and for people to sink their GXP even still in 2020, when I still plan to be playing this game.

What is not shown in the tables is that I think sensors should work together, especially BAP, which should be an information gathering and integrating tool. Therefore, to further enhance the light scout role:

- BAP should allow the targeting but not locking of seismic contacts

- BAP + target info gathering should allow targeting AND locking on seismic contacts

So what am I saying, that a light inside a tunnel can target an enemy mech outside through the tunnel wall and allow own LRMs to lock on, which are somewhere outside? Basically yes but not in the way you fear:

- If the enemy is completely stationary, seismic wont detect it

- If the enemy moves, you get the seismic blip, can target and guide missiles to it. But unfortunately the seismic blips are rather sporadic and missile tracking time is refreshed only every time your mech relays a seismic signal to your team. So the LRMs weakened tracking shouldn't make this OP as you can just basically step aside.

- According to Thomas Dziegielewski "Weapon Hits to Terrain and Weapon Fire cause Seismic events" so picking up the right blip should confuse the BAPper a little bit although if the enemy mech is firing, you can use that to target it a bit more easily, I suppose.

This explanation covers the numbers shown in the tables above. In addition, I would like to make certain remarks regarding information warfare and information gathering.

- My proposition in no way addresses passive/active radar. Couldn't this be simply implemented by an on/off switch? The active mode would be what we have now and the passive mode would halve your sensor range as well as enemy's ability to detect you. I.e. by default you see passive mechs at 400 m instead of 800 m.

- Recently there was a proposal about a new vision mode showing the different slopes of different terrain (http://mwomercs.com/...e-degree-range/). This is great. We could also have different areas of maps to have different electromagnetic background. In some areas, you get a clear signal and in some areas, the surroundings lessen your sensor range as well as the ability of enemies to detect you. For example, the center of Terra Therma, which is a hot lava pit, could also give weird EM readings or some hills in Alpine might have ore, which blocks EM signals 30 %. I.e. we need also the maps to show the importance of information warfare.

- Most importantly, the areas in maps where you have EM disturbations could be RANDOM so each time it could be possible for the enemy to flank your team unexpectedly. Again, this effect should not be on/off but strong and local or milder in a larger area so that fights don't degenerate into "finding the secret door to enemy's back".

- Introducing such variability to our sensors would pave way for more features like ghost signatures of enemy mechs in heavy EM storms or something like that. It would be already cool to have some device produce fake radar signatures but this cannot be implemented without a proper natural background like EM storms producing a similar effect. Otherwise, you just often guess that this is an ECM fake because 10 enemies are dead and you see 3 enemy signatures.

- If the EM signatures of the environment are made a factor in the game and especially if they are made random, the mechs should obviously have sensors for this. Otherwise we're just walking in the dark "oh, I see an enemy mech but can't target, damn targeting computer again during bad weather". This could be another vision mode, which could look like the old blue/red thermal.

Disclaimer: I'm supposed to write my thesis but after Bryan's presentation thoughts of CW fill my head and hijack my higher brain functions. Thanks a bunch. So in order to have proper CW, we need to fix IW. I don't pretend to know what's best but just wanted to share my thoughts. I have no doubt that the forum will put me in my place. :)

EDIT: Title.
EDIT: Added mech heat to table 2.

Edited by Rasc4l, 14 April 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#2 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

How does this post not only have no replies but no likes? It's brilliant! You need to promote the hell out of this post; it's a long read, but worthwhile. I am worried about some of the numbers (specifically that you want lights to get within like 200m for 30 seconds to perform a lot of the scouting tasks, that just never going to happen) but overall I like it. I think BAP also needs to be toned back a bit, maybe have its extended sensor range and some of the other redundant features turned off for all the new abilities it gets.

But the reason this makes so much sense overall is this: Right now, we have ECM; the CM stands for countermeasure, but there's really no electronic warfare to counter, so it had to be given functions that don't fit the bill very well imo. Making BAP a useful tool and then letting ECM actually be the counter to BAP makes a lot more sense, as now the ECM is actually protecting you from something.

#3 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

View Postaniviron, on 05 October 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

How does this post not only have no replies but no likes? It's brilliant! You need to promote the hell out of this post; it's a long read, but worthwhile. I am worried about some of the numbers (specifically that you want lights to get within like 200m for 30 seconds to perform a lot of the scouting tasks, that just never going to happen) but overall I like it. I think BAP also needs to be toned back a bit, maybe have its extended sensor range and some of the other redundant features turned off for all the new abilities it gets.

Yes, you are quite right that the numbers I suggest probably need to be tuned. They are just ballpark figures to give you the idea. For example, it should not be immediately obvious where the ammo is loaded and the point just being that this information should NOT be available in 5 seconds like the usual sensor data but much later.

Also it is true that perhaps BAP is doing a bit too much considering that you can put it into any mech ECM requires hardpoints. Anyway, this can be adjusted with the times/ranges how you can do this.

But the reason this makes so much sense overall is this: Right now, we have ECM; the CM stands for countermeasure, but there's really no electronic warfare to counter, so it had to be given functions that don't fit the bill very well imo. Making BAP a useful tool and then letting ECM actually be the counter to BAP makes a lot more sense, as now the ECM is actually protecting you from something.

Thank you for the input!

#4 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

I support random time map events such as an EM wave or a Sandstorm but the problem is the amount of QQ from people crying "NERF THE SANDSTORM I CAN'T SEE." or "EM WAVE OP"

I also support fooling modules especially seismic with weapons fire from all sides affecting the efficiency (firing at the ground will produce a blip that will fool sensors)

I also support being able to use the Command Console to extend those abilities, because I have 4 of those 3-ton piles of sh|t in my mechbay hoping to have some use for it in the future

#5 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

also to turn equipment into soft-counters would cause PGI to do a lot of legwork

Tag/Narc against ECM; player gets the bonus, team does not
Tag/Narc + BAP against ECM; player gets bonus, team within 180m of player gets bonus, team beyond 180 do not
Tag/Narc + BAP + Command Console; player gets bonus +10%, all team gets bonus
Tag/Narc + Command Console = player gets bonus + 10%

#6 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

Because it's long, and PGI's response might be only "ECM is working as intended" despite all the effort and thought put into this?
[/Jaded]

#7 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 06 October 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

Because it's long, and PGI's response might be only "ECM is working as intended" despite all the effort and thought put into this?
[/Jaded]

They said in the last AtD that they have no plans to revist ECM or BAP.

#8 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:17 AM

I'm so sorry Rasc4, there is a level of TT nerdy'ness??? I can't take. :D
while its a very long thread its going to take me a while to read it.
but yes the information warfare needs to be looked at, I find the system we have no quite boring.

just dam, that is one hell of a thread

Edited by Cybermech, 06 October 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#9 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Honestly, and a quick scan of my post history will show I almost never say this.....Table Top did it better. Actually making BAP/TAG/NARC work (and be worth fitting in the case of NARC) like they do in TT and having ECM disrupt them and our weightless C3 would improve the EWAR game immensely (by which I mean, introduce an EWAR game).

It's not even a complicated system, really.

ECM:
- Removes friendly IFFs from hostile minimaps within radius
- Nullifies BAP when owner is within radius
- Nullifies Artemis when owner is within radius
- Nullifies TAG, NARC, when the target is within radius
- Can loose all other capabilities to nullify ECM when owner is with radius

BAP:
- Increased sensor range, decreased lock time
- Through-terrain radar within radius
- Alerts when hostile ECM within radius (obviously this effect only is not nullified by ECM)
- More target information when locked? (possibly remove loadout viewing from standard lock?)
- Allow lock retention on shutdown mechs

TAG:
- Allows indirect fire (really, disallow it without TAG/NARC)
- Improves LRM Tracking
- Does not stack with NARC

NARC:
- Improves LRM Tracking
- Does not stack with TAG
- Persistent until layer it's attached to is destroyed (i.e. if fired at full health arm, persists until arm at 0 armour, if arm already at 0 armour, persists until arm destroyed)

Artemis:
- Improves LRM, SRM grouping in LOS only
- Stacks with TAG/NARC

Note that under this system ECM would protect against indirect LRM fire, but not direct fire LRMs.

Edited by Gaan Cathal, 06 October 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#10 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 06 October 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Honestly, and a quick scan of my post history will show I almost never say this.....Table Top did it better. Actually making BAP/TAG/NARC work (and be worth fitting in the case of NARC) like they do in TT and having ECM disrupt them and our weightless C3 would improve the EWAR game immensely (by which I mean, introduce an EWAR game).

It's not even a complicated system, really.

ECM:
- Removes friendly IFFs from hostile minimaps within radius
- Nullifies BAP when owner is within radius
- Nullifies Artemis when owner is within radius
- Nullifies TAG, NARC, when the target is within radius
- Can loose all other capabilities to nullify ECM when owner is with radius

BAP:
- Increased sensor range, decreased lock time
- Through-terrain radar within radius
- Alerts when hostile ECM within radius
- More target information when locked? (possibly remove loadout viewing from standard lock?)

TAG:
- Improves LRM Tracking
- Does not stack with NARC

NARC:
- Improves LRM Tracking
- Does not stack with TAG
- Persistent until layer it's attached to is destroyed (i.e. if fired at full health arm, persists until arm at 0 armour, if arm already at 0 armour, persists until arm destroyed)

Artemis:
- Improves LRM, SRM grouping in LOS only
- Stacks with TAG/NARC

Note that under this system ECM would protect against indirect LRM fire, but not direct fire LRMs.

I do think this would need tweaking (specifically BAP's ability to give through-terrain radar; it'd be like Seismic times a million) but it sounds unbelievably more interesting than what we have now. A lot less convoluted, too.

#11 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

View Postaniviron, on 06 October 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

I do think this would need tweaking (specifically BAP's ability to give through-terrain radar; it'd be like Seismic times a million) but it sounds unbelievably more interesting than what we have now. A lot less convoluted, too.

The problem with Seismic isn't so much what it does though, it's that it does it functionally for free. Sure you need GXP and CBills, but they don't matter in a match. Tonnage and slots do. BAP at least requires an investment. That said, I can see removing it, I just don't know that it'd be worth two slots and a ton and a half without something beyond range/lockspeed - unless of course it was the only way to get hostile loadout data.

Also, I forgot to add that it should be able to lock on to shut down mechs, as per current.

#12 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 06 October 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

The problem with Seismic isn't so much what it does though, it's that it does it functionally for free. Sure you need GXP and CBills, but they don't matter in a match. Tonnage and slots do. BAP at least requires an investment. That said, I can see removing it, I just don't know that it'd be worth two slots and a ton and a half without something beyond range/lockspeed - unless of course it was the only way to get hostile loadout data.

Also, I forgot to add that it should be able to lock on to shut down mechs, as per current.

Yeah, I did consider that. But I mean, think of the tradeoffs- it's 2 slots, which is nothing, and 1.5t, which isn't much to anything over 60t. I can't think of a single assault I'd build that wouldn't run BAP- it'd mean never ever walking into an ambush again, and for that matter, would mean being able to counter-ambush with alarming efficaciousness. I mean, with seismic at least it's scary, "Maybe there's three atlases around that corner!" BAP just lets you know, "Oh, it's two crippled hunchbacks and a Jenner, let's go get 'em guys!"

And yeah, being able to lock on to shutdown mechs is a must. I think the radius for that should maybe go up to 200-250m so it's actually useful for LRM boats, as well.

#13 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:45 AM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 06 October 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

TAG:
- Improves LRM Tracking

NARC:
- Improves LRM Tracking

I would also give minor improvements with said devices to these parameters to make LRMs capable at least on occasion to hit lights who run 150 km/h. Especially as the speedcap is gonna be increased. And I mean minor, I don't want the locust at full speed to be a one hit with a pair of LRMs.

#14 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

Very much in support of a revision of Information Warfare

#15 Antarius

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

A good read, nice suggestions, but i dont believe they get implemeted. ("ECM/BAP fine now") Even they should...

And if they would want to got them into the game, it would take optimisticly half a year, more realisticly a year to get them finished, estimated at the progress since closed beta for new content and the workload they doing right now. (UI2.0, CW, Clans...)

Sry didnt want to kill the mood.

#16 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostSug, on 06 October 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

They said in the last AtD that they have no plans to revist ECM or BAP.

There's also no plans to get rid of ghost heat...'tis a shame, really.

#17 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostAntarius, on 08 October 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

A good read, nice suggestions, but i dont believe they get implemeted. ("ECM/BAP fine now") Even they should...

I would not call ECM/BAP fine by any stretch.

Each item has identical tonnage and crits yet ECM is the ultimate passive IW equipment.

Let's compare 2 crits and 1.5 tons of gear.

BAP
1) Target shut down mechs 120m range within LOS
2) Enhances sensor range by 10% within LOS
3) Improves data speed for locked target within LOS
4) Counters closest enemy ECM within 120m

AMS
1) shoots down hostile missiles within 200m with a fixed DPS value against a fixed per missile heath value to determine effects.
near complete ineffectivness vs SSRM and SRM due to short flight paths,requires ammo and accompanied risk of ammo explosions.

ECM
1) Jams all TAG within 180m. no data is relayed to friendlies via TAG if hostile ECM is within 180m
2) Jams all NARC signals within 180m
3) Jams all artemis signals.
4) Prevents LRMs from achieving a lock on 100% effective within 180m of target or launcher
5) prevents streak missiles from achieving a lock on 100% effective within 180m of target or launcher.
6) Reduces enemy detection ranges via passive or active sensor lock by 75% applies to all friendly mechs with 180m.
7) Counters closest enemy ECM within 180m range when toggled to counter mode.

As you can see ECM is superior to AMS for missile defence,Out performs BAP as a counter ECM (180m vs 120m range) and most of BAP's functionality requires line of sight to effect while ALL ECM effects are passive and omnidirection.

Bottom line is ECM is to good at to much.

Edited by Lykaon, 09 October 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#18 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

What I would have liked to have seen done is an interrelated IW system.

If for example the following electronics had the following effects.

Command console:
1) Allows commander to mark map waypoints as defend attack or move to locations.This waypoint will be visable on all friendly mech HUD interfaces and on the compass dial.
2) displays all friendly and known hostile mechs on a tactical map complete with all known data on those targets.
3) Allows commander to mark hostile mechs as priority targets.Friendly mechs to the commander will have a highlighted target bracket for priority targets.
4) Requires a command console hardpoint to mount.

BAP:
1) detects any hostile targets within 120m of the beagle probe.BAP scans through terrain and allows any hostile detected to be targeted as if a friendly had LOS.
2) Detects shut down mechs with 120m
3) Exstends sensor range by 20% for mech equiped with BAP
4) Improves critical data speed for mechs equiped with BAP.
5) Allows for up to 4 enemy targets to remain locked by a BAP equiped mech.Only the most recent target locked will display current critical data on the BAP equiped mech's HUD.
6) Requires a BAP hardpoint to mount.
7) Enemy mechs being detected via BAP have an icon displayed on their HUD indicating hostile BAP in range.

TAG
1) Hostile Mechs hit with a TAG laser become targetable to all friendly units to the TAG equiped unit.
2) A hostile currently being TAG'ed may be fired upon by LRM indirect fire.
3) Hostile mechs under friendly ECM effects have ECM lock delay benifits suspended while effected by TAG.
4) requires an energy hardpoint to mount.

NARC:
1) Attaches to a target mech and transmits target location to all units friendly to the NARC equiped unit that are within 1km of the NARC effected unit.This means that once a NARC is attached to an enemy mech it becomes targetable to it's enemy and thus vulnerable to LRM indirect fire.
2) NARC stops functioning after the target body location it is affixed to exceeds a damage threshhold.
3) Requires a missile hardpoint to mount.

ECM:
1) Any hostile attempting a streak or LRM lock against an ECM effected enemy will have lock on time doubled.
2) Aquiring critical data from an ECM effected mech takes twice as long.
3) Target locks on ECM effected units fade twice as fast.
4) Jams NARC beacons within 180m
5) Jams BAP or Command Consoles within 180m.
6) Jams Artemis within 180m of target or launcher.
7) TAG target data is jamed if the TAG is within 180m of ECM.
8) ECM can be toggled to counter mode trading all other effects for the ability to nullify the closest enemy ECM.
9) ECM equiped mechs reduce the enemy sensor detection range by 50% (only the mech equiped with ECM gains this effect)
10) ECM projects a sphere of effect 180m in all directions granting it's benifits to all friendlies.
11) ECM requires a dedicated hardpoint to mount.
12) Mechs effected by a hostile ECM will have a low signal indicator on their HUD.

LRMs will only be able to fire indirectly on targets within detection range of a BAP or effected by a TAG or a NARC.

With this system ECM needs to be activley manuvered to counter several info warfare tools.ECM will no longer passivley prevents missile locks it will delay lock speeds and passivley (when posssitioned to do so) counter LRM indirect fire.
ECM will no longer provide sensor invisability for entire teams with it's 180m stealth bubbles (only mechs that actually mount ECM gain this effect and then with a reduced range of effect)

Mechs that Equip both a BAP and an ECM will gain full use of each item.

Edited by Lykaon, 09 October 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#19 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Will come back to this one when I have more time; but essentially, it is a work of art. I have always supported the concept of using dedicated Recon / Spotter units and have even gone as far as putting together my Recon Spider 5K which is almost totally unarmed. It currently makes use of the 4 x Zoom module and always carry's an Artillery Strike Module so that I can engage guard units around mining bases.

http://www.google.co...ItjInk5gHpUDhRw

#20 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

What I want is for the stealth capqability of PGI/MWO ECM removed.

Putting out that much RF will show up on somebody's sensor. And it should have no effect on TAG lasers - why? because it is optical, not RF.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users