Barely Played At All And Already Tired Of The Grind-To-Win/pay-To-Win Game Mechanics.

55 replies to this topic

#1 MechBFP

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

I know what the standard response will this to be (I am not even going to bother to say it because I am sure a few hundred of you will tell me it anyway) but I played out my 25 Cadet matches, and maybe played another 25 matches after that, and I have just completely given up on this game.

Although I am sure some will disagree, I can't help but instantly notice that this game is clearly a grind-to-win/pay-to-win game when every match I play that is a complete blow out (either victory or defeat) is because the team that won was just conviently full of hero mechs and/or assault mechs with all the trimmings.

I have been playing Mechwarrior since MW2:Mercs, and I really really really really wanted to like this game, but it just feels like another facebook-style gimme-all-your-money-and-you-will-do-good type game, and its just incredibly dishearting after how much I hoped this would be good.

All I can hope for is that enough people play (and pay) this game so that Piranha Games decideds to go ahead and make a good single-player Mechwarriro games based on this game & its assets. Of course it won't be multiplayer (can't pay-to-win.... so thats a corporate no-no) but at least the rest of us could have another decent single player Mechwarrior game. I would buy that type of game in a second as I really do think this is an amazing Mechwarrior game, easily on par with MW2 in my opinion, it is just simply not enjoyable as a grind-to-win/pay-to-win game for me.

EDIT: Whoops, posted in the wrong sub-forum. If a mod could move this to the Metagame section that would be appreciated.

Edited by MechBFP, 03 October 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#2 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Well, look at the bright side. You found out the game isn't for you without spending a dime.

#3 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

There has been alot conversation about hero 'mechs and P2W since the release of YLW. The general consesus is that none of the hero mechs are pay to win. Ilya Muromets was close back when it was the only 'mech that could mount 3 UAC/5s but that's all history now. Hero mechs are different, that's all. Many standard variants are far more superior compared.

I can still relate to your concerns. When I started there was no cadet bonus, only trials and 25k-50k per match depending if you won or lost. In meantime Founders had their C-Bill bonuses and were able to fit their mechs alot better even with repair and rearm costs. Tell me about grindy... But I also think that in F2P game real money should have real value. Premium time for a month is around $13, which is less than monthly sub to most MMOs. Don't get this the wrong way, but this game is more like Learn 2 Play & Play 2 Win.

Also by playing you improve your skills and win games. Hero mechs are not necessary or needed to do so. Premium time helps alot but when you start doing around 100k C-Bills per match it's not that important. I understand the new player experience is horrible at the moment and I truly hope they put some effort to improve that. You can always check back later if things are better.

Cheers!

#4 MechBFP

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostNRP, on 03 October 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Well, look at the bright side. You found out the game isn't for you without spending a dime.

Completely agree. I do have to give PG some kudos that they were at least kind enough to turn me off the game before I decided to spend anything on it.

#5 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

If you like the gameplay enough, buy a hero mech so you have something nice (think of it as what you'd pay at the store to get a normal game), and then just play the game. Cash will come in on it's own as you enjoy yourself. How you approach the game determines how you see it.

If you don't enjoy the gameplay, then don't play. It's a game after all.

#6 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

You're not wrong about the game being grindy.

Have you bought your first "real" mech yet? The game does open up quite a bit after that. How many c-bills do you have?

#7 James Warren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostMechBFP, on 03 October 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Although I am sure some will disagree, I can't help but instantly notice that this game is clearly a grind-to-win/pay-to-win game when every match I play that is a complete blow out (either victory or defeat) is because the team that won was just conviently full of hero mechs and/or assault mechs with all the trimmings.

The developers have a difficult game to balance with so many variables. As weapons are rebalanced, different chassis fall in and out of favour. At the moment you're likely to see a lot of Ilya Murumets because of the recent fad of putting Ultra AC5s on everything. Previously the Cataphract 3D was the most popular variant and arguably more competitive than the hero version. It wouldn't surprise me if this changes again in the future.

You'll probably also be seeing a lot of the new hero Atlas, mainly because its the newest thing (although with the imminent release of the Project Pheonix packs this is soon to change). While this variant does have a decent bag of tricks, the DDC variant is likely still the most competitive (again, a non-hero variant).

I'll have to agree that there's an issue with weight balancing at the moment. Its frustrating to be on a mixed team against a team of all assaults... I'm (optimistically) assuming the matchmaking is still being worked on.

As for the grind... I think you'll find the majority of players will agree with you. The trick is to play because you enjoy it, not because you just want to unlock everything - the c-bill rewards just come naturally after that. Perhaps don't spend any until you've got enough to fully customise your next mech choice.

It is also a problem in my opinion that you need all the trimmings to be effective. I really wish that double heatsinks and endosteel were more of a strategic choice than a straight upgrade.

#8 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

Can we have separate queues for new players for the love of God!??!

#9 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Well. It's been a while. But back when I started new and even started a second account. I honestly didn't feel like we were losing because of hero mechs. Usually just bad play on our team.

I very much agree with you starting the game out. Even with Cadet bonus. Feels grindy. Is it pay to win? No. I really don't think so. I think it's "Pay to lessen grind". Or "Pay to be slightly less frustrated."

And then they nerfed C-bills. So...

#10 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

Its not the hero mechs its the play of the people. The main problem is the start new players with an average ELO ranking and they are almost never average when they start. And as mentioned PGI is very good about not making hero mechs really better than the other mechs just different. Like my Victor hero is can take a the largest engine. But its not the best loadout but it is fun. Same with the new Atlas.

#11 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

grindy? yes, but thats the game, shoot other mechs. So the grind = the fun (for me at least)

pay-to-win? no.

#12 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

This game is Partially Grindy. You only need 1 good mech to enjoy the game.

Getting that "Good" mech is all about information.

The way you get that information is to play (Grind as you call it) until you are familar enough with how the game works and what you enjoy playing an how you enjoy playing it.

The 2nd best way to get information is here on the forums, like under battlemech guides to find out how other people are building their mechs and how they are running it so that you can make a informed decision to build a mech.

The playing isn't about the grind.

There is no "BEST" mech there are just tons and tons and TONS of mechs that you like.

Some of us (like me, 58 mechs and counting) play everything, play every mech, buy every mech and build every mech to improve my knowledge and understanding to make me a better pilot and player. Others choose to focus on 3-4 mechs to be the ultimate mech pilots for those chassis by continuously refining what they know, how their mech handles and how they run it.

Some people call it "A Grind" I just call it playing.

It's up to you how you go about it.

I do hope you, stick around to give MWO a shot. It's well worth the effort.

If you are looking for someone to drop with, even someone to hook up with in TS3 and just quickly answer your questions and fill you in, look me up in game. Carrioncrows

I'll hook you up, or get you hooked up with a great group of like minded people.

-Crow

#13 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostNRP, on 03 October 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

You just had to rub it in didn't you :D.

Seriously though, I think all they really need (aside from the obvious tweaks, and THE GOOD SENSE TO TWEAK THINGS CORRECTLY), is to implement viscerally entertaining things like ramming and knockdown.

Melee would be great too, and adding the ability to uproot trees and use them as clubs (and equip axes and swords on your mechs) would instantly make this game endlessly entertaining.

Also, you should be able to use them in conjunction with Jumpjets to perform the Tremendous Horse Cut technique.Posted Image

Edited by Sephlock, 03 October 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#14 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Posted Image

This is what you get when you bring streaks to a hatchet FIGHT!

#15 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

^ Ouch. Reservoir Dogged.

#16 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

100% agree. devs lowered cash because vets made too much. yet new ppl or if u have a streak of bad game make nothing.

#17 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostSug, on 03 October 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Can we have separate queues for new players for the love of God!??!

Well, there (kind of...) are separate queues for new players. I recently rolled up an alt account to see how the new experience was, and my matches were for the most part loaded with a motley selection trial mechs (the vast majority), very, very green players, and a small smattering of skilled founders/others. I tried all the trial mechs, and for the most part revelled in the blood of my enemies, brutally slaughtered the poor saps still trying to get to grips with arm lock, and laughed my way to the bank.

I then tried the same trial mech loadouts on my main account and was laughed at by some familiar names as they brutally eviscerated me.

Whilst many wouldn't agree the ELO solution was ideal for new players, I think there needs to be a few more skilled players thrown in, or there wouldn't be anyone for new players to learn from. No-one to stomp the {Scrap} out of them and make them wish they were piloting their mech. No-one to dramatically and brutally out pilot them and stomp their mewling carcass into the dirt.

ELO matching may not be ideal, but it kind of works (IMHO of course).

View PostSephlock, on 03 October 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

...Also, you should be able to use them in conjunction with Jumpjets to perform the Tremendous Horse Cut technique.Posted Image

DWARVEN RUNES.

#18 Steelgrave

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

View Postkeith, on 03 October 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

100% agree. devs lowered cash because vets made too much. yet new ppl or if u have a streak of bad game make nothing.

I've never made nothing, but yeah the payout change was pretty boneheaded.

#19 Heavenly Angel

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

As a new player the grind seems so extreme that upgrading to premium feels like I'd be upgrading from snail's pace to turtle's pace. Just not worth it, and when my next purchase is weeks of grinding away it doesn't exactly motivate me to keep going. If I wasn't a total battletech junkie I doubt I'd bother.

#20 Cobra Henchman

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

My friends just make alts. They'll grind out cadet bonus+1 day premium. Then buy and customize the mech they feel like trying.

I pretty much studied builds on the forums. The game does not encourage experimenting with the grinding and prices. Just find something that looks cool, make a new account, grind out for it and enjoy it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users