Would You Consider Buying More If Everything Cost Half As Much Mc?

38 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you consider buying more if everything cost half as much MC? (119 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you buy more if everything cost half as much MC?

1. Yes (85 votes [63.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.91%

2. No (17 votes [12.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.78%

3. Maybe (17 votes [12.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.78%

4. Other(Explain!) (14 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

In my opinion, PGI's current model that leads to them making more heavy and assault Hero mechs is costing them money.

Sound economic principle says that they would make more overall money by making hero and champion mechs, as well as purchasable custimizations such as skins and colors, more accessable by the masses.

I think that they are missing out on more money by going for the big ticket items(aka Boars Head) for MC cost instead of making lower cost micro transactions to make each and every non CB purchase more accessable across the board.

#2 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Yes i would most likely, I have disposable income, but I still need to perceive a value for my money, and the cost of mechs are not good value to me. If i could easily convert MC to cbills instead of having to buy an overpriced mech, then sell it at a loss as well I would be inclined to buy MC to allow for purchases of engines, endo upgrades etc etc.

I would however never spend a physical cent on colours, cockpit items etc as what's the point? as I couldn't possibly care less for that stuff. I can't beleive the amount of people that buy into it, Shrug.

#3 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

The money that I have sent on customization such as colors and Cammo have came from what I have spent on getting the founders package.

I purchased the Pheonix package but that was only because the packages came with the non pheonix specific variants as well(and the required mech bay slots). I will not, however, swpend 20+ dollars on hero mechs because they cost entirely too much for the value they return.

I am actually interested in seeing the numbers who bought hero mechs that bought them by purchasing MC. I have the Illy Moromets but only because I had founder MC.

#4 TychoTheItinerant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

I gave them money for an Orion. Never again. This is not something worth throwing money at.

#5 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'd buy a lot more if things where cheaper.

#6 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostTekadept, on 05 October 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Yes i would most likely, I have disposable income, but I still need to perceive a value for my money, and the cost of mechs are not good value to me.

No more needs to be said.

#7 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

I voted yes, but would still pay inflated mc for an Urbanmech!

#8 Shockwave144

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

I don't know if they ever considered that it's always better to lower the prices and make sales than to not lower the prices and have no sales.

They are selling virtual items, not designer handbags.

#9 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

No... I would get more stuff per MC if things were cheaper but i would not spend more on MC

As a general rule of thumb my maximum spending each month is between 20-30$ (the so called gaming pot)

So If they made things cheaper i would buy more stuff but still only spend 20-30$
If they made MC cheaper i would get more MC but still only spend 20-30$

So as you see PGI would loose money on me if they made things cheaper as i would be less inclined to put my 20-30$ in this game since there would be less things for me to spend MC on (as i tend to no buy doubles of mechs and paints are a one time purchase) .

#10 Shockwave144

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostAlexEss, on 06 October 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

So as you see PGI would loose money on me if they made things cheaper as i would be less inclined to put my 20-30$ in this game since there would be less things for me to spend MC on (as i tend to no buy doubles of mechs and paints are a one time purchase).

Maybe for you but if I want 3 types of camo and I can only afford 1 because it's so expensive, I'll end up not spending any money.

#11 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

Of course would people buy more when things are cheaper.

However - actually it is to buy or not to buy - or wait for some events and hope that you have to pay 33% less

Another nice addition would be a kind of auction - were you can enter what you want to pay - and each day only a single hero would be sold.

Could be a blind bet too - you see what you get only when you have bough the Mech.

Alternatives - the smallest unique bet win the pot.

#12 ShotgunWillie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

I voted every option because I could.

As others have pointed out, if everything cost half as much MC, I would buy more stuff with MC, but not because I would buy more MC. It's just that my MC would go farther. It would not cause me to buy more MC at a time or buy MC more frequently. The only thing I could see possibly changing in my MC spending habits would be that if MC costs were halved across the board, I might be inclined to buy colors with MC.

#13 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Mechs,..I only buy some heroes anyway I might buy them all if they cost less.
Paint/patterns...For sure if they cost less, take my money!
Cosmetic cockpit items, I don't see a reason to buy them.

#14 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

I've bought what I wanted to buy. Lower prices won't cause me to buy the things I haven't wanted.

#15 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

I would consider buying paint patterns and colors if they cost 25%-35% of what they do now. As it is, I feel like there is not enough value there to part with real cash. I plan on continuing to buy the occasional Hero mech that particularly strikes my fancy.

#16 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostShockwave144, on 06 October 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

I don't know if they ever considered that it's always better to lower the prices and make sales than to not lower the prices and have no sales.

They are selling virtual items, not designer handbags.

I see far more value in an $80 Phoenix package than any designer handbag ever made, unless I could sell that handbag and buy a normal one to replace it and spend the rest on MC, especially because even designer products made now don't last. I suspect a Hero Mech is going to last longer than something from Coach or the like... and certainly will look better.

Designer products are the best marketing racket in the world, where people pay $50 for a T-shirt and $250 for a purse that is no better than the one hanging on the rack at Walmart for $40, it just has different logos. People would just die if they knew the profit margins on "fashion" items.

#17 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

I voted other. My explanation?

I am not spending another dime on MW:O until I see Community Warfare, Clans and reintegration of systems (knockdowns) back into the game. They've got more then enough of my money. Now I want to see them put it to use.

#18 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostButane9000, on 08 October 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

I voted other. My explanation?

I am not spending another dime on MW:O until I see Community Warfare, Clans and reintegration of systems (knockdowns) back into the game. They've got more then enough of my money. Now I want to see them put it to use.

Pretty much agree. I'm not inclined to put any more money into this game until I know for sure that they won't be shutting off the servers in another few months. They've been feeding us a line of BS for quite a while, and with nothing concrete regarding the future of this game I think I've already spent too much.

That said, MC items are simply too damn high. I'd consider (later) occasionally spending what an expansion pack or the like would cost for other games, as long as I could actually see value in it. As it is, I can't justify the cost. I'd lean more on the impulse buy in the under $10 mark. So far I've purchased some colors (on sale), a couple of single camos, the Ilya (regular price) and the Yen Lo (on sale), all with my original 20,000 MC Founder's cash. I hadn't planned on spending it until CW came out, but as time went on I've been worried I would lose it or I would burn out before it was worth using.

[rant]
Also, all these people who go on about their "disposable income"...I'm guessing these are younger people who are too immature to understand they have real use for that in real life. Wait until you have to worry about real life concerns...insurance, mortgages, car notes, kids, medical bills, retirement, then trying to "better" that all the time...then you'll see just how disposable these virtual purchases are. While it's great that these whales are bankrolling my future gaming, they artificially inflate prices for the rest of us. And don't think for a second that you are respected for the amount of money you throw at a game. Trust me, developers look at whales as their target suckers, not their loyal customer base.
[/rant]

#19 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

You left out a "duh." option.

#20 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Price is one thing, but for me its more about what is available to buy. There's just not much. The Hero mechs can be ok, but they're still slowly growing in number. Buying standard mechs for MC instead of CBills isn't something I'm likely to do any more, simply because its makes more sense to earn the money and the XP simultaneously, especially with a premium bonus. All that leaves is colors (which I have plenty of now) and camos for any new mechs I get (which I may just decide is only worth using the colors on stock camo pattern). Cockpit items haven't really been interesting as of late either, as I really don't need a mech statue (of course it would be better if your cockpit decorations didn't have to be set for every mech individually).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users