Ers And Artemis

11 replies to this topic

#1 Thejuggla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

I am wondering your guys opinions on Er large laser vs regular, same with Artemis for both srms and lrms.

I usually go without ER for large lasers because usually find myself using them within range thus wasting heat, what do you think is better?

I haven't tried Artemis till the other day, but it seemed A LOT better, I liked the lock on speed up as well I noticed the Artemis LRMs seem to hit lights fairly decently.

Haven't tried Artemis on srms but seen people with them, spread looks a lot tighter, would you say it makes srms more of a pin point weapon being able to land them all on the same part of a mech?

#2 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

If you have LRMs, you should REALLY have Artemis. If you're hurting for weight badly enough that you can't slap it on, you should either downsize your missile rack, or go with another design.

[edit - missed the part on SRMs: I haven't really noticed a huge difference, so for SRMs, I usually skip the Artemis]

As for the ERLL, I like it, because it has a HUGE range (longer than an LRM) and can get people to dodge back into cover if they're getting hit from that range. They do run hot, though, so when you hit brawling range, you probably want to switch to closer-range, cooler weapons, or have enough heat sinks to handle it.

The ERLL is really kind of a situational weapon, though; in most places, you can use terrain and mobility to close the distance to the difference between the two's ranges. So it's a preference thing. If you're a "late closer," and like to hang back and plink people and wait for the enemy to come to you, the ERLL will probably fit your style pretty well. If you're the type that likes to trundle up to brawling range? Stick with a regular LL.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 10 October 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#3 Madara Uchiha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

Using the term Pin point loosely, I would say yes, Artemis does help reduce the spread, however unless its some specfic build like a shotgun jager or something OR a lrm boat, i generally do not bother buying it, because of the tonnage. And about the Lasers, If im more into brawling I would go with a normal varient, or pulse, If im TRYING to stay in the back and support I would go with ER.

#4 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

I recently started migrating back to regular large lasers over ERs execpt for Ac5, UAC 5 or gauss toting mechs. As the guns go pretty far, I like lasers that can better match the gun range.

Remember that Artemis only works to upgrade LRM damage when you have line of sight to the target - not when you are firing at a target someone else locked from behind cover. This does make LRMs more effective when you get caught in the open and somene is coming at you.

With SRMs the pattern is better but frankly, SRMs are usually used so close that standard spread isn't a factor. Unless you like to shoot SRMs at 200 plus meters the extra weight is not worth it in my opinion.

#5 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

ERLarge - For Brawlers, I'd probably stick to regular larges. For high heat builds, I'd also stick with regulars. However, if it's a single, or on a long range build, go ER. It's not a huge difference (in heat or in range), and the differences are only a big deal beyond 500M.

Artermis - Depends on the mech. If you're boating them as a main weapon, Artemis helps for LRMs and SRMs, but generally are mostly effective on larger racks (SRM6, or LRM10+). On my C4 SRM Cat, I liked Artemis, but that was also a hold over from the LRM version.

#6 Greyboots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 10 October 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

With SRMs the pattern is better but frankly, SRMs are usually used so close that standard spread isn't a factor. Unless you like to shoot SRMs at 200 plus meters the extra weight is not worth it in my opinion.

I'd like to add a qualifier. It's not worth it for a small number of SRMs. I run a Jager-A with 4 x SRM6+Artemis and it's well worth it. Without Artemis the spread is so large running that many SRMs is often a waste, especially against smaller mechs where the spread is so large that half the missiles are bound to miss. Take Artemis if you notice a need for it but don't put it on for SRMs "just because".

#7 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

I like ERLL , nothing says stop plinking at me with those gawd dayum ac2's like a face full of laser.

#8 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

regarding artemis, it only gives you its benefits if you have los. so if you are planning on using lrms for indirect fire, then you may be better off not using artemis and save the tonnage.

and according to this:
http://mwo.gamepedia.../Artemis_IV_FCS

artemis provides tighter weapon spread for srms but not for lrms. it does improve tracking strength of lrms by 50% and i think thats the reason why lrm w/artemis and los are more effective against lights for example.

Edited by travelbug, 04 November 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#9 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

I use SRMs as finisher weapons, which means I have to land enough on the part I want to hit, which is why I take Artemis. IMO 2xSRM4 with Artemis is as good as 2xSRM6 without, and creates less heat and uses up less ammo.

#10 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 10 October 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

If you have LRMs, you should REALLY have Artemis.

I disagree. If I am going to be able to hold lock long enough for the missiles to hit then I don't need increased lock-on speed to make that happen.

I also find that I often waste the missiles firing them at a target that is not going to be held sufficiently long for missiles to actually hit, or even worse missiles that are dead fired at nothing or even allies.

I want my twisty artemis back. The lock-on time feature is definitely not worth the added weight.

#11 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

artemis for lrm's is only useful if you make los to your targets at a range you can shoot lrm's at them

#12 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

artimus isn't about tighter missile spread, it's about the 50% faster lock on time which makes it 100% essential with LRMs. SRMs don't need lock on so it's take it or leave it

ERLLas are great in singles as a harassment weapon, especially on lighter energy mechs - it keeps the other team honest at arms reach and gets you more assists/damage for more cash earned. i take them over PPCs any day - 2 tons lighter with almost the same damage, and no minimum range

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users