Jade Falcon Clan Mechs = Junk In Mwo ?

80 replies to this topic

Poll: Which mech (148 member(s) have cast votes)

Whihc mech would you use in MWO if you could?

1. Kit fox (primary config) (24 votes [13.11%])

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

2. Hellbringer (primary config) (46 votes [25.14%])

Percentage of vote: 25.14%

3. Summoner (primary config) (75 votes [40.98%])

Percentage of vote: 40.98%

4. My costumized inner sphere mech (38 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RolfS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

I thought about how broken the current game balance actually is. To illustrate consider if you had the choice to select any of the three Clan Jade mechs with Clan technolgy in primary config, kit fox (uller), hellbringer(Loki), Summoner (Thor) or a customized inner sphere of your choice in mwo?
Which would you choose? My answer is a heavily customized inner sphere mech because none of the Jade Falcon clan mechs are good with current game balance. Note that all of the Jade Falcon clan mechs are "balanced" builds without strong Alpha and "should" work i.e no ghost heat etc.

But I personnaly found issue after issued with Jade Falcon Clan builds in the current meta i.e the current patch that were too serious to make them playable...

Personnaly I don't consider mwo = battletech unless the Jade Falcon mechs are better than current inner sphere builds being played ;) .

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostRolfS, on 14 October 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Personnaly I don't consider mwo = battletech unless the Jade Falcon mechs are better than current inner sphere builds being played ;) .

This isn't gonna happen, because it would invalidate over two years of PGI's work.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

The Thor is a good chassis. I don't understand why you would insist on stock only omnis.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Well Omnis have the restriction o not changing Engine structure or Armor amounts so that there makes them slightly nerfed to begin with

#5 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

How can you possibly make any real comparisons without knowing how clan tech will actually function? And this:

View PostSpheroid, on 14 October 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

The Thor is a good chassis. I don't understand why you would insist on stock only omnis.

#6 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Summoner is probably my favorite clan mech. I am determined to make it work. Depending on how things go might be able to jam a UAC20 and 2 ERPPC on a summoner prime.

#7 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Those Mechs are good in MW:LL, good luck to Clan Mechs in MWO though lol.

#8 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Out of the three, the only competitive mech will probably be the Thor. A decently armored 70 tonner with an alright speed and JJ will do fine in MWO. The Uller will have some issues simply because its too slow. It also has a wide squat stance that lends it to being a weaponfire magnet. The Loki is going to have it worse, it will have light armor, a wide frame, and the only saving grace will be that it mounts ECM. I've never seen the Loki do well in any game its been in, be in MechWarrior and all its iterations its appeared in (MW2, MW4, MWLL), MechCommander, or even TT (seen a stock JR7-D solo a Loki in two turns, on that note, the Vulture isn't much better, I've seen a Centurion kill it in one turn, though it had RACs so in theory, it had better tech lol).

#9 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

If you mean the Stock/Primary variants, then yes they would be mostly terrible in MWO because even the stock IS variants are also terrible. A fully customized mech is the only thing that really matters in MWO.

I guess what I'm saying is the poll is pointless, a customized mech will almost nearly 100% always be better than those stock loadouts in MWO regardless of IS or Clan, because they were made for the boardgame which has different values.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 14 October 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#10 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

The dual UAC20 Loki in MWLL disagrees with that. It got nerfed though because it was probably the most OP thing ever.

#11 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

Summoner all the way baby

#12 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

Pfft, Clans. Who needs 'em?

I say we roll back to 3025 and duke it out like Weisman and Babcock intended.

When we do, I'll even forgive you for ever mentioning the Clans and the Cheese they brought.

#13 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

Bleah. Poll choices suck.

Turkina, Cougar, Night Gyr and Kraken are CJF mechs too.

Many of the first round of Omni mechs sucked, especially in the primary configs.

Man O War was terrible. Fenris was ok, but not so great. Koshi was terrible. Masakari was ok, but in MWO it will be worse than the Awesome.

The clan omni designs got much better after the 3055 TRO.

Edited by PanchoTortilla, 14 October 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#14 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostPanchoTortilla, on 14 October 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Bleah. Poll choices suck.

Turkina, Cougar and Kraken are CJF mechs too.

Not in this timeline though...

#15 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

No Turkina and Cougar til post refusal war.

#16 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

And you're an ***** if you use stock variants. Omnimechs are only so powerful because they are infinitely customizable.

#17 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

The Kitfox (and Adder) are important because they pack the power and speed of an IS medium in a lighter package to counteract the weight penalty the clans will likely see in match maker. If you want a clan scout omni mech you need a Dasher, Viper, or Ice Ferret.

Since omnimechs are expensive and fairly rare for lightly armed scout mechs, you're more likely to see things like the Jenner IIC (SRM death barrage), Locust IIC (8ER Small Lasers+1 MPL!!!), Ice Storm (200 kph!!!), and Incubus (150kph with either an cLPL or cERPPC+other weapons).

Of these the Jenner IIC and Locust IIC will definitely be available at launch for obvious reasons (model reuse which is why the Shadowhawk C, Highlander IIC, Orion C, etc will also appear in the clan stable at launch). The Jenner IIC is also used by all the invading clans so that'll be the Falcon scout of choice.

The Hellbringer has 30 tons of pod space. That's right 30 tons of weapons and equipment. Plus some variants carry ECM. So basically, the Hellbringer will effectively use the clan range advantage as a ninja sniper. Yeah, be afraid, be very afraid.

The Summoner is basically a fast cataphract 3L with clan weapons and a less vulnerable XL engine. In what way is that possibly bad?

So basically, the common Jade Falcon mechs are very very powerful tools and with creative use of the omnipods can fill a ton of roles.

#18 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

the uller can't move any faster than a bad raven. it is basically nerfed into the ground already.

#19 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

The #1 draw back of omnis is that their internals cannot be modified, this means that you are locked to a specific speed, you have a specific armor value, and a set of heat sinks you cannot remove. Anything else is up to you (i.e. weapons, extra heat sinks, equipment). Anything you can fit in pod space will go in. Kit fox is a slow light yes, but it can easily be more well armed then some I.S. Mediums. It doesnt have enough armor to stand toe to toe with anything heavier then itself and it's speed means it might have trouble facing other lights, but it can mount any weapons that will fit, so you could easily balance that out with a good build, perhaps lots of streaks and an ecm? Or perhaps jumpjets and some autocannons to help pick at the enemy team from afar with the other snipers. Omni-mechs will turn this game upside down, and if PGI does it right, that wont be a bad thing.

(I hope they do it right, but obviously i have some doubts about their competence when it comes to this.)

You're also forgetting about wolf and jaguar omimechs such as the Timberwolf and Ice Ferret for the wolves, and the Mist Lynx, Shadowcat (post luthien), Ebon Jaguar (post luthien), Warhawk (like a big bad better stalker) and Direwolf (like a bigger badder better stalker/atlas) for the jaguars. No mech, no matter how big, can ever outgun a direwolf. but because it's an omnimech, it wont move faster then 54 kph, ever. That's the drawback. People are taking engine mods for granted, and they wont notice how important that is to custom builds until omnimech restrictions!

Edited by pbiggz, 14 October 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#20 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 14 October 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

The dual UAC20 Loki in MWLL disagrees with that. It got nerfed though because it was probably the most OP thing ever.

It got nerfed because it was grossly overweight. Many configs saw changes to make them more inline with proper build rules. That Loki still got wrecked by dual AC20 Demolishers which were much cheaper to field and could be fielded further in the map than Lokis.

Loki's have never been good. Too little armor, and too big a profile.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users