Time To Choose A Faction, But Which One?

96 replies to this topic

#1 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Battletech nerds I need your help (don't be offended by the term nerd, I'm a proud nerd myself, but not a battletech one).

With the Phoenix package containing faction medallions that give loyalty boost arriving tomorrow, I just realized I need to have some basis on how to choose a faction. I read the descriptions of them, but that didn't give me much. To my understanding I will have to choose the medallions (and thus my preferred faction(s)) when the package arrives tomorrow.

I have 0 backround in tabletop and this game doesn't inspire me in RP sense at all. There's very little information that I could quickly find on the factions in game terms (MWO that is; and learning everything about tabletop and transferring it to MWO terms would be too much work, when I'm sure someone has already done it). So here's what I'm asking:

1: Enlightened guesses on what in game benefits each faction will provide. What types of weapons/mechs they all prefer or manufacture that could translate to in game discounts or better manufactured PPCs/MLs/whatever (also enlightened guesses on what other type of benefits may be possible).

2: What are the politics between the factions and do you expect them to be transferred to the game. This comes relevant when/if choosing several factions. For example if I choose faction A, will it be considerably harder to also get loyalty points in facton B, as compared to faction C.

I've left my own preferences to weapons/mechs/tactics out of this post because I believe there are others who will want this information too, that will have different preferences. Also please refrain from RP aspects of the factions. There's plenty of information on that elsewhere.

#2 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Ok, simply put, Loyalty Points should help get some things cheaper in game. So here's a quick breakdown of really common designs/weapons that some factions use, not even close to a comprehensive list, but rather notable examples:
Liao(Capellan Confederation):Catapult, Raven, Cataphract(2X/1X/4X), PPC, Flamer
Kurita(Draconis Combine):Dragon, Kintaro, Jenner, PPC:Hostile to Davion, Steiner
Marik(Free Worlds League):Quickdraw, Orion, LLas/MLas/SLas:Hostile to Steiner, Liao(somewhat), Davion(somewhat)
Davion(Federated Suns):JagerMech, Blackjack, Cataphract(3D), AUTOCANNONS, AUTOCANNONS, AUTOCANNONS:Hostile to Kurita, Liao, Marik(somewhat)
Seiner(Lyran Commonwealth):Atlas, Commando, can't think of any specific weapons, really. Hostile to:Kurita, Marik

Aaaaand yeah that's just off the top of my head, hope it helps.

#3 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Just the type of listing I was looking for, thank you. Now others can extend on that a bit so I can make an informed decision tomorrow.

#4 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

The Free Worlds League (House Marik), of course. All of the Phoenix mechs are common in the Free Worlds League Militia. We also favor Cicadas, Hunchbacks, Trebuchets, Quickdraws, Orions and Stalkers, although there are a few other mechs / variants that are canon, but much less common. The Free Worlds League prefers missiles and lasers, since larger weapons like PPCs and AC/20s are scarce. The Free Worlds League also enjoys the highest level of technology available outside of Comstar, or the Clans. Finally, we are the closest thing to a space democracy in the Battletech Universe (since the Star League), so we do not have to grovel before some prince, or tyrant.

Edited by Ed Steele, 14 October 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#5 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 14 October 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

The Free Worlds League (House Marik), of course. All of the Phoenix mechs are common in the Free Worlds League Militia. We also favor Cicadas, Hunchbacks, Trebuchets, Quickdraws, Orions and Stalkers, although there are a few other mechs / variants that are canon, but much less common. The Free Worlds League prefers missiles and lasers, since larger weapons like PPCs and AC/20s are less common. The Free Worlds League also enjoys the highest level of technology available outside of Comstar, or the Clans. Finally, we are the closest thing to a space democracy in the Battletech Universe (since the Star League), so we do not have to grovel before some prince, or tyrant.

Not to mention the finest Space Bacon in the Inner Sphere.

#6 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 14 October 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

The Free Worlds League (House Marik), of course. All of the Phoenix mechs are common in the Free Worlds League Militia. We also favor Cicadas, Hunchbacks, Trebuchets, Quickdraws, Orions and Stalkers, although there are a few other mechs / variants that are canon, but much less common. The Free Worlds League prefers missiles and lasers, since larger weapons like PPCs and AC/20s are scarce. The Free Worlds League also enjoys the highest level of technology available outside of Comstar, or the Clans. Finally, we are the closest thing to a space democracy in the Battletech Universe (since the Star League), so we do not have to grovel before some prince, or tyrant.

Just the type of RP answer I was sure I would get. But I'll bite. I have no idea (yet) if I'll like the phoenix mechs. From the mechs you listed I only like Hunchies, but I'd be suprised if they weren't common enough with other houses too. I also like weapons that make a big BOOM noise so your weapon choises seem a bit meh. When it comes to technology I just cannot trust you on your statement. My belief is that every faction is just as poor technologically in this (MWO) universe.

Your most glaring mistake is your belief that democracy would be a good thing. The greatest democracy in history was USA and they went bankrupt towards the end of 2013, after that the world economy crumbled slowly but surely, and only the nations that weren't too tied to the rights of the people could adapt to the new situation and survive. No one has now uttered the word democracy for centuries in anything but jokes.

View PostRoadbeer, on 14 October 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Not to mention the finest Space Bacon in the Inner Sphere.

Everything is better with bacon.

"Life is better with bacon" -One of the great thinkers of the 21st century (a chef at a restaurant near me)

#7 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

The proud Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery is always happy to have more 'Warriors in it's ranks. When you join the DCMS, you'll join a proud and lengthy history of honor and victory in battle. Become a noble samurai or a cunning yakuza; you'll find many 'Warriors to your liking no matter what the path you choose.

Our produced Mechs (in-game):
Jenner Light-35 tons
Hunchback Medium-50 tons
Griffin Medium-55 tons
Kintaro Medium-55 tons
Wolverine Medium-55 tons
Dragon Heavy-60 tons
Catapult Heavy-65 tons
Jagermech Heavy-65 tons
Victor Assault-80 tons
Battlemaster Assault-85 tons
Atlas Assault-100 tons

We also are known for our manufacture of Particle Projectile Cannons (PPCs) and computer/targeting systems. Join the Faction with honor and tradition on its side; the faction with the one of the finest military minds alive in Kanrei Theodore Kurita. Come join the DCMS, you'll find plenty to suit you!

P.S.- We have sake and sushi...

Edited by Lord Ikka, 14 October 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#8 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 14 October 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

P.S.- We have sake and sushi...

That supposed to impress me when the other guys have bacon? You expect me to want to live forever? Which house has beer to go with the bacon?

#9 Michael Costanza

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

Each faction, while having access to most mechs, also have certain preferences in mech types. Some of them tend to have a similar ethnicity i.e. Kurita is Japanese, Liao is Chinese, FRR is Norweigan/Swedish. Also, some factions are more likely to face the Clans than others (Steiner, Kurita, FRR and a little Davion).

Go to www.sarna.net, it's a good place to start.

Also, http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Inner_Sphere

#10 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

For reasons beyond my ken, these lists all seem to lack any mention of the proud Free Rasalhague Republic.

Membership includes:
  • Classic and Vintage versions of Kurita 'Mechs.
  • Myriad cultural exchange opportunities with deep periphery groups (become a clan bondsman!).
  • Lots of social events in reeducation camps generously sponsored by foreign powers.
  • All the mead and drunken pronouncements of patriotic sentaments you could ever ask for!

The list really does go on and on. I guess you could be one of the other factions, but do you really want to take the easy way out?

#11 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

View PostMarchant Consadine, on 14 October 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

That supposed to impress me when the other guys have bacon? You expect me to want to live forever? Which house has beer to go with the bacon?

Sake makes you live forever? Awesome- time to stock up!!

#12 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 14 October 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Sake makes you live forever? Awesome- time to stock up!!

Well Japanese do have the longest life expectancy in the world. Perhaps not forever but there's a clear correlation with the consumption of sake and longevity.

Edit: WE all know that correlation=causation. No matter what those teachers try to tell us to make us drink less sake.

Edited by Marchant Consadine, 14 October 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#13 Dredhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationSpace Colony Texas

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

You don't have to choice a Faction you could just be a Merc or Lonewolf..

#14 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

There's a link in my signature you might want to click.

Other than that, don't be fooled by the Marik's crowing about their 'space democracy'. They're not even close. They're a league of vastly different cultures united in a single commonwealth. Each one of those cultures has its own system of rule, some democratic, some feudal and some dictatorships. It's a representative democracy in that it represents the wills of petty tyrants and dictators.

The only actual democracy is the Free Rasalhague Republic. If you want freedom from the petty tyranny of poncy inbred twats born with a silver spoon in their cockpits and a military culture built on fighting valiantly against overwhelming odds and fighting for causes other than boosting the purses and egos of royalty then the FRR is for you. Join the FRR military today! There's alcohol, free health care and you get the honour of protecting your countrymen from any potential future invasion from space furry mary-sues that may or may not exist!

Edited by Mahws, 14 October 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#15 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostMahws, on 14 October 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

If you want freedom from the petty tyranny of poncy inbred twats born with a silver spoon in their cockpits and a military culture built on fighting valiantly against overwhelming odds and fighting for causes other than boosting the purses and egos of royalty then the
clans are for you?

#16 Glitchbit

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTsukude, Vega, Altair, Draconis Combine

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostMahws, on 14 October 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

There's a link in my signature you might want to click.

Other than that, don't be fooled by the Marik's crowing about their 'space democracy'. They're not even close. They're a league of vastly different cultures united in a single commonwealth. Each one of those cultures has its own system of rule, some democratic, some feudal and some dictatorships. It's a representative democracy in that it represents the wills of petty tyrants and dictators.

The only actual democracy is the Free Rasalhague Republic. If you want freedom from the petty tyranny of poncy inbred twats born with a silver spoon in their cockpits and a military culture built on fighting valiantly against overwhelming odds and fighting for causes other than boosting the purses and egos of royalty then the FRR is for you. Join the FRR military today! There's alcohol, free health care and you get the honour of protecting your countrymen from any potential future invasion from space furry mary-sues that may or may not exist!

I like Silver Spoons... And my Sake and Sushi... Though if you chose Marik I would not resent you for it. Just don't choose Davion or Steiner.

#17 The Mad Jester

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

This will try to answer your number 2 question.

Kurita, they favor speed, higher tech, (PPCs and such)

Davion, They are the logistics. moving supplies around.

Stiener, They are top heavy in their mechs.

Mariks, they are the munitions, IE, mech/ammo

Liao, they are atypical tech, IE, tricky mechs and ECM

The rest goes into RP, so, use the other post and this to help.

#18 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostMarchant Consadine, on 14 October 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Well, now, those Lyrans may have their fancy beers, but here in the Free Worlds League, we have the best Whiskey in the Inner Sphere!

View PostGlitchbit, on 14 October 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

I like Silver Spoons... And my Sake and Sushi... Though if you chose Marik I would not resent you for it. Just don't choose Davion or Steiner.

And if you choose the Draconis Combine, or the FRR, we would not resent it, as the Combine and FRR are composed of honorable mechwarriors, not rich kids or backstabbers, like the other great houses.

Edited by Ed Steele, 14 October 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#19 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 14 October 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

clans are for you?

Good thing the clans don't have a caste system with practically no social mobility like most of the inner sphere... oh wait. They do.

The only difference is that at least the Inner Sphere have the common decency to pretend that they're not just waging war for an ego trip. For the clans that's the only reason they fight at all. :P

#20 Hazar Kath

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Houses Steiner and Davion are allies in their Federated Commonwealth lore-wise. And according to devs, this will carry over into community warfare with those houses being allied. And all the other houses/ factions by themselves vs. everyone else. And if MWO stays true to the (Cough,supposed, Cough) 1:1 timeline, it will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Davion; largest military + Steiner: largest economy = WIN!

And we also have the best beer to go with that bacon.

And also: Atlas. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users