Time To Choose A Faction, But Which One?

96 replies to this topic

#41 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostDavoke, on 14 October 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Seiner(Lyran Commonwealth):Atlas, Atlas, Atlas, Atlas, Atlas, and occasionally Commando. Hostile to:Kurita, Marik

FIFY. Steiner is the wealthiest house but not always the best tactically. An all Atlas lance isn't nicknamed a Stiener/Lyran scout lance for no reason...

#42 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

As far as staying power; Houses Steiner and Davion for sure. If memory serves, at no point in the immediate future (And well past our lifespans if they keep it 1:1) is likely for the FedCom to do more than take some heavy losses. So, as far as non-RP goes, these factions will be the 'easy-mode.'

FWL/Cappelan (Houses Marik and Liao)- This is more or less the 'medium(avg) difficulty.' While the Clan Invasion and even WoB Jihad devastate the entirety of the Inner Sphere and vast chunks of the Periphery States, the two always seem to fairly quickly getting back to 'meh.'

'Hard Mode' comes from playing the Draconis Combie. They do fairly well for themselves, but they tend to have more honor in their pockets than coins or bullets. When the Clan Invasion hits, the Combine is going to be all but wiped from the history books for the most part. BUT, the bright side is that they end up coming to terms with their Clan overlords, and things at least head back to normal.

"Nightmare" would be playing FRR. Waking up in cold sweats thinking about some weird bonding collar around your neck. Not being able to pilot a 'Mech for X amount of time. Rationed mead. RATIONED. MEAD. When the Clan Invasion hits, it hits the FRR the hardest. Clans Wolf and Ghost Bear are going to tear through the Free People of the Inner Sphere, fighting over the republic like a wishbone. The one group of people that touted nothing but *neutrality* *neutrality* *neutrality* pretty much gets wiped off memory of mankind. ComStar comes in and grabs the scraps as a 'Protectorate,' and the FRR pretty much becomes Clan Space. Fighting capable men are bonded into military service, labor capable are bonded to the Laborers.

Personal opinion, I'd choose the 'FRR into the Clan Bondsman' way of the MechWarrior, just because the lore is such a tear-jerking tragedy (And some of the sharpest Merc units spring from FRR's obliteration, that helps, too).

But others aren't wrong. I imagine numbers aren't the big reason there aren't a lot of FRR dedicated freespeaks out there. If you want some kind of guarantee for steady bonuses that are likely to not change, go with Steiner/Davion first, FWL/Capellan second, and your only third option would be going Merc or Freelance (and Merc/LWF will likely be the 'safe' bet faction, with a standard and relatively non-committal discount across the board).

#43 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

Without knowing a LOT more about CW it really is a shot in the dark as to what medallions to take. Until Project Phoenix, Marik had a pretty weaksauce selection of mechs- Awesomes and Cicadas come to mind immediately. But how CW effects pricing (and even if it really matters in the first place- I know many players who have 30+ mechs already) is still a mystery. Personally I think I will get Marik, FRR, Liao, and Kurita. But that is mostly based on how much fun I have had playing against their teams than any perceived benefits. After all, according to sarna.net the only FRR mechs in MW:O are Dragons and Jenners, which you would get in addition to Catapults, Jagermechs , and Spiders from Kurita. Does this mean the FRR players get gimped? Or are there going to be other things to balance this out? Who knows.

#44 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostBront, on 15 October 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

FIFY. Steiner is the wealthiest house but not always the best tactically. An all Atlas lance isn't nicknamed a Stiener/Lyran scout lance for no reason...

Well duh, they have ECM. :)

#45 Herzog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant Major
  • Sergeant Major
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostBront, on 15 October 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

And to be fair, it's not the mechwarriors that are idiots, just the Generals (ie: "Daddy just bought me a pair of star-cluster epaulettes!").

#46 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostDavers, on 15 October 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

Without knowing a LOT more about CW it really is a shot in the dark as to what medallions to take. Until Project Phoenix, Marik had a pretty weaksauce selection of mechs- Awesomes and Cicadas come to mind immediately. But how CW effects pricing (and even if it really matters in the first place- I know many players who have 30+ mechs already) is still a mystery. Personally I think I will get Marik, FRR, Liao, and Kurita. But that is mostly based on how much fun I have had playing against their teams than any perceived benefits. After all, according to sarna.net the only FRR mechs in MW:O are Dragons and Jenners, which you would get in addition to Catapults, Jagermechs , and Spiders from Kurita. Does this mean the FRR players get gimped? Or are there going to be other things to balance this out? Who knows.

I think everyone here needs to re think CW. Do you really think that choosing a faction is going to restrict mech access ? I highly doubt it. Its one of the reasons I have little faith in CW with this game. I'm going to to say right now that personally, I don't think that being in a faction is going to restrict anything. I bet you'll be able to use any mech at any time with any weapons you want. Otherwise there would be too many people in the community demanding refunds and QQing about not being able to use their jump jetting ER PPC gay Jenner. Or their 62 AC/2 builds or dual AC/20 builds. Basically, your going to see the same mechs in CW you see in Pubs with the exact same builds and its going to be the same stuff coming up for every faction.

#47 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostImperial X, on 15 October 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

I think everyone here needs to re think CW. Do you really think that choosing a faction is going to restrict mech access ? I highly doubt it. Its one of the reasons I have little faith in CW with this game. I'm going to to say right now that personally, I don't think that being in a faction is going to restrict anything. I bet you'll be able to use any mech at any time with any weapons you want. Otherwise there would be too many people in the community demanding refunds and QQing about not being able to use their jump jetting ER PPC gay Jenner. Or their 62 AC/2 builds or dual AC/20 builds. Basically, your going to see the same mechs in CW you see in Pubs with the exact same builds and its going to be the same stuff coming up for every faction.

I agree. My point is- who cares how much mechs cost when you already have 30+ and cbills are an infinite renewable resource?

#48 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 15 October 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

The emphasized statement, above, combined with the existing animosity between the FRR and DracCom (due to the not-unjustified belief that the Combine would try to re-conquer them at the first practical opportunity; see page 47 of 20 Year Update, under "Political Alignments") and between the FRR and the Lyrans (due to the actions of Duke Kelswa and others within the Lyran government; see page 45 of 20 Year Update, under "Revolt"), seems to support my previous conclusion.
Thanks, I had thought that the union between FedSuns and Commonwealth would have a bigger effect there. The document seems to acknowledge the potential for issues, but remarks that any repercussions are still a thing for the future, as far as MWO's current position in the timeline is concerned.

Still, it might be premature to say the FRR "likes" Davion better just because they attempt to compensate trade deficiencies with them. Their diplomatic contact may have increased thanks to this development, but given that said contact was pretty much nonexistent at the start, this must not mean that it would supercede the Republic's relationship with the Combine already. And then there is the fact that the document says the same thing about the Free Worlds League. I just think saying they're friends is a bit ... reaching.

View PostMercer Skye, on 15 October 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

'Hard Mode' comes from playing the Draconis Combie. They do fairly well for themselves, but they tend to have more honor in their pockets than coins or bullets. When the Clan Invasion hits, the Combine is going to be all but wiped from the history books for the most part. BUT, the bright side is that they end up coming to terms with their Clan overlords, and things at least head back to normal.
Nani? Whilst it is true that the Combine sits at the forefront of the Clan invasion and, like the FRR, thus gets hit with full force, it certainly does not get "wiped from the history books". Following the successful defence of the Kuritan homeworld and the Truce of Tukkayid, Operations Bird Dog and Bulldog penetrate deeply into the Clan Occupation Zone, liberating scores of worlds.

The Inner Sphere - 3052
The Inner Sphere - 3067

Rather, it is the Clans, or one of the Clans, who will ultimately adapt - as Clan Nova Cat is granted the Irece Prefecture of the Draconis Combine in exchange for its loyalty, which would persist well into the Dark Age until its eventual destruction by traitorous elements surrounding the young pretender Yori Kurita, caused by the Nova Cats' support of Emi Kurita and Tai-shu Katana Tormark during the civil war of 3137.

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 15 October 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#49 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 15 October 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Thanks, I had thought that the union between FedSuns and Commonwealth would have a bigger effect there. The document seems to acknowledge the potential for issues, but remarks that any repercussions are still a thing for the future, as far as MWO's current position in the timeline is concerned.

Still, it might be premature to say the FRR "likes" Davion better just because they attempt to compensate trade deficiencies with them. Their diplomatic contact may have increased thanks to this development, but given that said contact was pretty much nonexistent at the start, this must not mean that it would supercede the Republic's relationship with the Combine already. And then there is the fact that the document says the same thing about the Free Worlds League. I just think saying they're friends is a bit ... reaching.

"Like" is a relative term - the documentation we have merely indicates that those elements of the FRR government (including the powers-that-be within the FRR military) that do express a preference one way or the other (as opposed to trying to maintain a neutral stance... or the facade of such) maintain a higher view of the Lyrans than of the Combine (not that that's saying much, as about the only group that the FRR might possibly hold in equal or greater contempt than the Combine is the mercenaries :)), and that the FRR maintains seemingly-better - or, at least, more flexible - diplomatic (and trade) relations with both the Suns (despite the alliance with the Lyrans) and the FWL (despite the League's alliance with the Combine) than with their respective allies.

"Månsdottir [commander of the KungsArmé] and the Motpart [a political faction within the FRR government] are suspicious of the Draconis Combine's motives for helping Rasalhague achieve independence. Fearing that the Kuritans will return one day to claim their lost worlds, the Motpart seeks closer relations with the Federated Commonwealth, even at the risk of provoking the Combine. For General Månsdottir and his followers, the Federated Commonwealth is the only guarantor of Rasalhague's independence."

"Because the FRR is wedged between two Great Houses with no love for one another, the Elected Prince [Haakon Magnusson] is well aware that his political actions toward one realm could be misconstrued by the other. This makes it vital that the Prince maintain strictly equal relations with House Kurita and House Steiner, while attempting to maintain the political neutrality of his ancestors of the original Principality."

"This nightmare of red tape is one reason the government has begun to trade with other states. Indeed, trade with the Free Worlds League and the Federated Suns has been brisk over the years. Trade with the Federated Suns may be complicated in the future, however, as that realm becomes more closely joined with the Lyran Commonwealth."

"While blatant racism has disappeared, a subtle bias against people or things Oriental still eists. Prince Magnusson and General Månsdottir have strenuously opposed all racism, but people of Oriental heritage rarely achieve positions of importance."

#50 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Steiner.

#51 Tkhaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

Anything but FEDRATS

#52 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostTkhaw, on 15 October 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

Anything but FEDRATS

And why, pray tell, might you say that? ;)

Alternatively, what argument(s) would you present in favor of, say, the Capellan Confederation? ;)

#53 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'm pretty sure the OP mentioned that the RP (role playing) element of the game didn't interest them.

That said, it's doubtful there will be ANY restriction on what you can buy / run. It's a game. They make money off of it. They are not going to restrict what you can give them money for based on which faction you like in the game. Maybe they will give discounts on certain chassis or weapons (C-bills), possibly they will give certain cockpit trinkets to certain house loyalties (with house designs).

#54 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostQuaamik, on 15 October 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the OP mentioned that the RP (role playing) element of the game didn't interest them.

That said, it's doubtful there will be ANY restriction on what you can buy / run. It's a game. They make money off of it. They are not going to restrict what you can give them money for based on which faction you like in the game. Maybe they will give discounts on certain chassis or weapons (C-bills), possibly they will give certain cockpit trinkets to certain house loyalties (with house designs).

Between Davoke's post and my own, the OP's primary questions seem to have been more than adequately addressed. ;)

As such, pretty much the only thing left to discuss that is even tangentially related to the topic is the RP aspect...

#55 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

If the discussion involves which medallions to take,
I took one each of Liao, Rasalhague, Kurita and Marik.
My reasoning being, I may most likely spend the most time in FedSuns or with Merc Corps associated with them.
So the medallions would be used more often but would they outlive their usefullness?
Getting one each of the others means that if i do spend some time in their ranks or taking contracts on their behalf, the medallions will make the most of the limited time i wish to spend.
I just think it would be the best use of the medallions to get maximum loyalty from the most houses, should I ever decide to go for Wolf's Dragoons.
Just my thoughts.

#56 Nutlink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMountain Man!

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

Straight up Marik. Because purple.

Posted Image

#57 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostDavers, on 15 October 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

I agree. My point is- who cares how much mechs cost when you already have 30+ and cbills are an infinite renewable resource?

This is probably the best response I've yet to see on the forums. my honest opinion is that this game should have went through an account wipe leaving nothing but founders mechs, once it went live. Nor should it have gone live without CW in effect.

#58 Tkhaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 15 October 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

And why, pray tell, might you say that? :huh:

Alternatively, what argument(s) would you present in favor of, say, the Capellan Confederation? :wacko:

I find defending the capellan confederation while blasting Fedrats to be exhilarating... B)

#59 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 15 October 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

the documentation we have merely indicates that those elements of the FRR government (including the powers-that-be within the FRR military) that do express a preference one way or the other (as opposed to trying to maintain a neutral stance... or the facade of such) maintain a higher view of the Lyrans than of the Combine
Ha! I see through your devilish propaganda, Davion lackey! :P

The Motpart is an opposition faction of the Rasalhague parliament composed primarily of politicians from, as the 20 Year Update calls it, the "Lyran half" of the FRR, and it bears noting that none of them are actually part of the Elected Prince's government. They oppose Magnusson's Even Scales policy, yet that obviously does not change anything about how the Elected Prince feels.
So, this party is said to actively seek an alliance with the Federated Commonwealth, but just because a handful of Lyran-born nobles have better ties to Steiner than to the Combine surely does not mean they speak for the people they rule, or indeed the rest of their republic.

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 16 October 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#60 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 16 October 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

Ha! I see through your devilish propaganda, Davion lackey! ;)

The Motpart is an opposition faction of the Rasalhague parliament composed primarily of politicians from, as the 20 Year Update calls it, the "Lyran half" of the FRR, and it bears noting that none of them are actually part of the Elected Prince's government. They oppose Magnusson's Even Scales policy, yet that obviously does not change anything about how the Elected Prince feels.
So, this party is said to actively seek an alliance with the Federated Commonwealth, but just because a handful of Lyran-born nobles have better ties to Steiner than to the Combine surely does not mean they speak for the people they rule, or indeed the rest of their republic.

"None of them are actually part of the Elected Prince's government"? You surely jest, Kurita flunkey! :(

Månsdottir is "the ranking officer of the KungsArmé and the Landtmarskalk of the Riksdag [the Rasalhague Parliament]".
"The Rasalhague Parliament is composed of four Estates. Though only the First and Second Estates have the power to draft bills, all have the right to vote on legislation. For a bill to become law, three of the four Estates must approve it and then it must be signed by the Elected Prince. The Riksdag may overturn a princely veto by a vote of all four Estates."
"The director of the First Estate is the Landtmarskalk, or Marshal of the Lands. The Landtmarskalk also sets the Riksdag agenda, a potent responsibility. The post is considered second in importance only to the princeship in the Republic."

In other words, Månsdottir is effectively the leader of the Rasalhague Parliament and the military commander of the Rasalhague Army - making him, both militarily and politically, second only to Magnusson himself.

More generally:
"Despite his attempts to maintain support from all sides, Prince Magnusson's government is notable for the lack of Tyr members from the 'Lyran Half', worlds conquered by the Lyran Commonwealth during the Fourth Succession War. Whether this is a coincidence or a deliberate snub is not known. Those who oppose Prince Magnusson have formed the small Motsatt Stalining Parti, or Motpart for short. This party consists of members of the Riksdag who oppose the Prince on principle or who were once Tyr members from the Lyran Half."
The Motpart is made up of members of the Parliment (which, by any measure, is still part of the FRR government ;)), specifically those who were once affiliated with the Tyr (e.g. the original Rasalhague Independence Movement, which was composed of Rasalhaguian exiles and refugees), and some of those who may oppose some of Magnusson's policies for other reasons.

As such, my original statement is still true and correct - "those elements of the FRR government (including the powers-that-be within the FRR military) that do express a preference one way or the other (as opposed to trying to maintain a neutral stance... or the facade of such) maintain a higher view of the Lyrans than of the Combine". :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users