74 replies to this topic

#21 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

If they ever do what COVVB3LL wonders and I won't repeat, I'm done in a heartbeat.

#22 Mindnut

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

Give us a map editor to model terrain and place elements from planet sets. I'd love to make maps for mwo.

#23 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 16 October 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Bryan hinted that they might incorporate a feature in the Moonbase map, such that the day/night cycle would be very short so that a single match would encompass one or two full day/night rotations, and such that the day cycle would have high temps and the "night" portion would have low temps - I wouldn't necessarily think this functionality would be in when the map was first released, but they would probably go back and add it later as they free up time/resources.

Do you remember where he said this? I'd really like to hear about that, dynamic weather/time on maps would make them far far more interesting. It just sounds too good to be true for MWO.

#24 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:29 AM

View PostMindnut, on 16 October 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

Give us a map editor to model terrain and place elements from planet sets. I'd love to make maps for mwo.

As it happens have a map editor and have all the game assets to build maps with. Just we won't be seeing any community maps in MWO... probably ever.

#25 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:03 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 16 October 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

The archipelago map IS Crimson Straight. You are already playing it.

Ya it got hit it with an ugly stick before it was released. I bet the blue water looked great. Who voted for Crimson Straight (originally known as Island City and btw it is an island not a straight as anyone can see) here? http://mwomercs.com/...pts-1000-votes/

Posted Image

Edited by Johnny Z, 17 October 2013 - 02:07 AM.

#26 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

COMMUNITY MAP MAKING

#27 a little fluffy bunny

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 16 October 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

A few months ago, they said that it was taking a long time to make new maps, because they had to create all the content (buildings, textures, etc), but once they'd made the first set of maps, things would go a lot faster. Since they'd mostly be recycling old content (new combinations old textures, buildings, etc to make new maps), we'd see new maps being released more frequently.

That didn't actually happen.

Yes it did. The recycled content bit did anyway.

#28 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

View Posta little fluffy bunny, on 17 October 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Yes it did. The recycled content bit did anyway.

Not sure if serious, but that was my point. They recycled the content, but we're not getting new maps faster. It's taking forever to release maps that PGI have been talking about for months. When was the first time they mentioned the Archipelago map?

#29 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostKharax, on 15 October 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

We dont need thousands of new Mechs, I realy hope they releasing a few new maps as fast as they can....

They're done by different people, so new mechs aren't slowing down new maps. Also, they're working on Clan mechs now, so they need about 20 of those for the invasion (expecting 4-6 for their initial release.Also, mechs are they're main source of revenue, so don't expect them to take people off of them to make maps.

I've made maps for less advanced engines than the Cryis 3 engine, and they can be very time consuming to make right. There are often a lot of things you have to do over and over. I wouldn't expect changes in the pattern if I were you.

#30 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostMindnut, on 16 October 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

Crysis 3 Engine. Free to download. Still won't get your map uploaded to their servers though. That's the main deal.

It is stupid of them to not incorporate fan skills when they can however. While many maps made by fans would probably be {Scrap}, there would also be some gems. Same thing goes with other fan stuff.

#31 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

View Postverybad, on 17 October 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Crysis 3 Engine. Free to download. Still won't get your map uploaded to their servers though. That's the main deal.

It is stupid of them to not incorporate fan skills when they can however. While many maps made by fans would probably be {Scrap}, there would also be some gems. Same thing goes with other fan stuff.

exactly. Its not hard to fish out the good ones either.

#32 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 17 October 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

exactly. Its not hard to fish out the good ones either.

It is hard to use them in a game without legal issues though.

#33 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostBront, on 17 October 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

yet Star Citizen (which uses the same contract) IS using community created content.

as long as no "monetary value" currency passes through, they can use it.

THAT MEANS THEY CAN PAY US WITH CHUCK-E-CHEESE TOKENS AND WE ALL COULDN'T CARE LESS

#34 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostBront, on 17 October 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

You can submit projects to be released into a commercial game. You just cant release on your own and receive $$ for it without license.

I use to make maps and mods back in the day, and have to say Cry made it beyond easy. I wish it was that way then. You can do in an hour what took a week in the past.

#35 Kharax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

Bump this, because we need new maps not thousands of new Mechs!!!

#36 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostKharax, on 18 October 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

Bump this, because we need new maps not thousands of new Mechs!!!

Don't be stupid. They need to have a fairly predictable form of making money or they stop supporting the game. Mechs are their best form of money.

In addition, the people making the mechs aren't the same ones making the maps.

I would like more maps also, but you're NOT going to get a system where they stop making mechs, hire more mapmakers, and pump out more maps unless the overall game does very well.

They can't really do well with a pay for new maps system, because that shuts out a lot of players completely.

A fan content system WOULD work. All they need is a vetting system where fan made content is checked by people in their company. (both for quality and source of new content (ie no (C) stuff included in a fan made map)

#37 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Anyone that has used the crysis map editor know how hard it is to change a day map to a night map. It seem to me if it not to hard to do then take canyon and make it a night map version ,along with alpine,tourmanaline,caustic, and criminson strait.

I figure that canyon and alpine would be good night map force people to run in heat or night vision since there is a limit to how far you can see would force the use of scouting mechs. The tourmaline map and caustic would probley be good to, not sure on crimson strait map.

This would change up the map rotation and give it a little different change of pace until a new maps could be released. The content changes so it does get stale and you keep interest up and keep your player base.

This along with new mechs and maybe new modules with a new game mode or too would rock the game till you can get Community Warfare out the door...

The devs have stayed that a team death match would be easy to do they just turn off the bases, maybe do a team death match on smaller maps only or do a team death match with a 10 minute max game time. I know they would have to figure out the pay out rewards but for now just use the pay out rewards for either conquest or assault modes....

#38 hercules1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostKharax, on 15 October 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

We dont need thousands of new Mechs, I realy hope they releasing a few new maps as fast as they can....

I agree with this's 100% they need to slow the mech release a bit and speed up the map release!

#39 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

I'm still curious how they're going to work the physics for Moon Base, space being a vaccuum and all, makes it extremely poor for thermal energy transference (Double-paned glass as an example). While being in direct sunlight would sharply increase heat due to thermal radiation, there's no atmosphere (or significant presence of molecular matter) for our heat sinks to 'pump' the excess heat energy into... So the sunlight means faster heat production than Terra Therma and abysmal/nonexistant cooling while the shade would be similar to caustic valley heat production and cooling.

#40 hercules1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 18 October 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

I'm still curious how they're going to work the physics for Moon Base, space being a vaccuum and all, makes it extremely poor for thermal energy transference (Double-paned glass as an example). While being in direct sunlight would sharply increase heat due to thermal radiation, there's no atmosphere (or significant presence of molecular matter) for our heat sinks to 'pump' the excess heat energy into... So the sunlight means faster heat production than Terra Therma and abysmal/nonexistant cooling while the shade would be similar to caustic valley heat production and cooling.

Well what if they did a moon that was extremely far away from the sun like the distance of Pluto where the rays from the sun do basically nothing wouldn't the whole moon b about absolute zero so the whole dam mech would be a heat sink?????

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users