Crash Fix For Any Computer (Windows 7 Preferable)

31 replies to this topic

#1 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

1. Go to: C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32 or C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32

2. Open up Notepad.exe or go to run and type in Notepad.exe

3. Copy and paste the following and save as performance.bat in that folder.

4. Right click on performance.bat and send to desktop(create shortcut)

Use that shortcut to launch the game, when any message comes up just type in Y and press Enter, after the game press any key.

Spoiler

if using my FPS fix @http://mwomercs.com/...-core-machines/ with this then use the following code:

Spoiler

This will close down a lot of unnecessary programs and make your game run better and no-conflicting processes will conflict with the game. So no crashes :) if it crashes let me know and ill add other processes.

Regards,
DeerSpotter

Edited by DeerSpotter, 31 October 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#2 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Bump

Edited by DeerSpotter, 17 October 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#3 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

bumpedy bump bump

Edited by DeerSpotter, 27 October 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#4 Rose Scented Love Puff

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostDeerSpotter, on 21 October 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

bumpedy bump bump

Hi DeerSpotter, I thought I'd try your fix for my ongoing problem. I've been out of the game since beginning of September. A support ticket has been lodged since then and I have tried all manner of things but with no luck. Now I have come across your batch file which I have done as instructed, but have now encountered an oddity.

When I run the performance batch from the desktop, it's doing its job until it attempts to open MWO. It then comes up with the error message.... Windows cannot find '.\MechWarriorOnline.exe' .........the usual blah.

I knew it was there but ran a search anyway to be sure of the path. It's located in.....C:\Program Files\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online\Bin32

#5 The Black Sun

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Woooow, stop right there. At least if you're a concerned SSD-User.
That Batch-File - Workaround might mess with SSD-Users' System Configuration.
Many [if not all] SSD-Systems turn off the Indexing Service and Shadow Copies too, probably.

Launching the Game with this .BAT will try to shut down those already stopped Services [which won't do anything since they're already stopped] BUT afterwards, it will launch the for SSD-Systems purposely stopped Services.

Just wanted to point that out here.

#6 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostObsidian_Knight, on 22 October 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

Hi DeerSpotter, I thought I'd try your fix for my ongoing problem. I've been out of the game since beginning of September. A support ticket has been lodged since then and I have tried all manner of things but with no luck. Now I have come across your batch file which I have done as instructed, but have now encountered an oddity.

When I run the performance batch from the desktop, it's doing its job until it attempts to open MWO. It then comes up with the error message.... Windows cannot find '.\MechWarriorOnline.exe' .........the usual blah.

I knew it was there but ran a search anyway to be sure of the path. It's located in.....C:\Program Files\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online\Bin32

updated OP

NEw***

taskkill /f /im MWOClient.exe

that will close mechwarrior if it does indeed not close, alt tab to script and press any key and its quicker than ctrl,alt,del.

made mechwarrior.exe >> mechwarrior only that way it wont look specifically for .exe should eliminate your issues.

View PostThe Black Sun, on 23 October 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Woooow, stop right there. At least if you're a concerned SSD-User.
That Batch-File - Workaround might mess with SSD-Users' System Configuration.
Many [if not all] SSD-Systems turn off the Indexing Service and Shadow Copies too, probably.

Launching the Game with this .BAT will try to shut down those already stopped Services [which won't do anything since they're already stopped] BUT afterwards, it will launch the for SSD-Systems purposely stopped Services.

Just wanted to point that out here.

ill try to make a Yes and NO bat file asking if you're a SSD user or not.

#7 Rose Scented Love Puff

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Deerspotter. Tried it again and your batch file is working fine. Unfortunately my old problem persists though. Think it's time to get over this game, accept that I've lost money and find something else to play. My support ticket has been closed and the unresolved problem put into the database.

#8 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostObsidian_Knight, on 28 October 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Thanks Deerspotter. Tried it again and your batch file is working fine. Unfortunately my old problem persists though. Think it's time to get over this game, accept that I've lost money and find something else to play. My support ticket has been closed and the unresolved problem put into the database.

oh well, that sucks....whos going to test my fixes now :)

#9 Rose Scented Love Puff

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostDeerSpotter, on 29 October 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

oh well, that sucks....whos going to test my fixes now :)

Lol well hopefully I'm not the only one left that's stuck around to try and fix it.
I'm curious about what's going on because when I run your batch file...it does it's thing and then as soon as it launches MWO ( and the patcher screen comes up with the 'Play' button ) the batch file finishes with MWO even before I've clicked on 'Play' and goes about restarting everything else again. So that's telling me that the game is failing before I even hit 'play'

#10 Bolloney Samitch

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

There is a typo in the batch file as posted.
On the line:
NET STOP "Shell Hardware Detection

There is no end quote. This causes the next many lines to act crazy. FYI!

#11 The Black Sun

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Today, I had a closer Look at the .BAT, and I'm sorry to break it to you, Guys... but...

TL;DR: Completely useless if you're on anything newer than XP.

Alternatives...

Tweak Game Settings from within the Game Files:
  • Shaders
  • Resolutions
  • Full-Screen / Windowed
  • FOV [Field of View, thinner = smoother]
Close other Programs which are running in the Background:
  • Browser
  • Media Players
  • Messengers like Skype
  • . . .
Disable Windows Aero:
  • Right-click MechWarrior Online
  • Properties
  • Compatibility
  • Check the Box to disable Aero there
Also, as a last Resort I recommend:
  • CTRL+Shift+ESC
  • Right-clicking MWOclient.exe
  • Assigning a higher Priority to it [careful with "Real Time", though]
More advanced Stuff:
  • Set Exceptions for your Malware Scanner [the Directory MechWarrior Online runs from]
  • Get a proper Anti-Malware Program which isn't slowing everything down [Emsisoft, Kaspersky]

And here's why it's useless if you don't have XP [if you care to read]:

Spoiler

Maybe you should mention this in your first Post, so anyone who's running newer Systems won't report back that it "didn't do anything for them" or that they "hope for achieving better Stability" this Way.
Because, most likely, they just won't.

Greetings,
BlackSun

Supplemental:
Spoiler

Edited by The Black Sun, 30 October 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#12 The Black Sun

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Purposely going for the Double Post here for the Sake of differentiating for reading:

View PostObsidian_Knight, on 29 October 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

I'm curious about what's going on because when I run your batch file...it does it's thing and then as soon as it launches MWO ( and the patcher screen comes up with the 'Play' button ) the batch file finishes with MWO even before I've clicked on 'Play' and goes about restarting everything else again. So that's telling me that the game is failing before I even hit 'play'

That's because it goes like this:
. . .
NET STOP "Windows Time"

echo Starting MechWarriorOnline...
start /w .\MechWarriorOnline

echo MechWarriorOnline finished...
echo Re-starting applications...

-> pause <-

START explorer.exe
START ctfmon.exe
NET START "Alerter"
. . .

Which means, it'll display... "MechWarriorOnline finished... Re-starting applications..." and THEN pauses.

It didn't actually (try to) restart anything yet, and will only continue to do so, if the User presses the popular "Any Key". Ya know. So, if you just hit Play with your Mouse instead of closing that .BAT Command Window, you play, then some Time later quit MWO, and then press "Any Key" on the Command Window, it goes on restarting Stuff.

So, instead of saying:
"MechWarriorOnline finished... Re-starting applications..."

It should probably say:
"Keep this Window open in the Background while playing.
Afterwards, push Any Key to restart Applications.
Have Fun!"

And then, once you hit the Any Key after shutting MWO down, it should say:
"Re-starting applications..."

Soo, the .BAT itself is just confusing about the Way it works, I guess.
This .BAT works in mysterious Ways, ya know.

Edited by The Black Sun, 30 October 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#13 Rose Scented Love Puff

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

Lol...ok so where's this 'Any' key on the bloody keyboard then ?? :D
Alright so that makes sense. I didn't click on the prompt to finish MWO. I clicked Play and waited sufficient time for the game to load but no...still nothing. Went on to restart processes in batch.
Oh and yes, I'm running XP so won't be affected by the other problems.
Initially I was trying all sorts of things...either from recommendations from forum users, or from the team at MWO support. One thing I can definately recommend is having the MWO repair tool in the right place. For a long time I had it in 'My Documents'. I would run it and it would never pick up any problems or mismatched files. Recently on a forum post somewhere, I saw that it's recommended that it should be in your MWO Bin32 folder. I transferred it to this location and bingo, it picked up a **** load of problems. The repair tool fixed them all but unfortunately my problem stiiiiiiil persists ! Arrgghh !!

#14 The Black Sun

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Well as I said, even on XP, these Services shouldn't do anything, shutting them down would not only be little to not beneficial at all in Terms of Performance, nor does it help with Stability or fix any Problems that prevent a Game from running.

If there's a Problem like this, it's something bigger. Drivers Issues, unsupported Hardware, wrong or corrupt Installations / Files for other Stuff the Game needs, like DirectX or anything like that, ...

Re-installing Stuff often is the only Solution. If you're kind of a resourceful Guy who knows how to pinpoint Issues with your PC, it might be worth a try, but most of the Times, it's something you wouldn't even think about. That's the Point that is making the Statement clear: You should probably re-install your whole PC and Windows Operating System and all Games.

Over the Years, a running System ain't getting better, and certain Tools which claim to improve and 'clean up' are doing the exact opposite in 80% of all Cases... they might even be responsible for deleting Registry Entries that cause that very Problems they claim to help avoid to arise a few Weeks later.

#15 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Honestly, if you're still for some reason running XP, the first thing you should be doing is upgrading your OS (and PC probably)

XP is dead, and should not be used any more by anyone

#16 Candun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 124 posts
  • Locationpotland oilgon

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostDeerSpotter, on 17 October 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

1. Go to: C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32 or C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32

2. Open up Notepad.exe or go to run and type in Notepad.exe

3. Copy and paste the following and save as performance.bat in that folder.

when i try to do this it says contact admin you dont have permission

#17 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostBolloney Samitch, on 30 October 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

There is a typo in the batch file as posted.
On the line:
NET STOP "Shell Hardware Detection

There is no end quote. This causes the next many lines to act crazy. FYI!

aHH thank you alot!!

Will update OP..

View PostCandun, on 31 October 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

when i try to do this it says contact admin you dont have permission

right click on the script and run as administrator... you can also go and right click and go to properties. go to compatibility tab and check always run as administrator.

View PostThe Black Sun, on 31 October 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Well as I said, even on XP, these Services shouldn't do anything, shutting them down would not only be little to not beneficial at all in Terms of Performance, nor does it help with Stability or fix any Problems that prevent a Game from running.

If there's a Problem like this, it's something bigger. Drivers Issues, unsupported Hardware, wrong or corrupt Installations / Files for other Stuff the Game needs, like DirectX or anything like that, ...

Re-installing Stuff often is the only Solution. If you're kind of a resourceful Guy who knows how to pinpoint Issues with your PC, it might be worth a try, but most of the Times, it's something you wouldn't even think about. That's the Point that is making the Statement clear: You should probably re-install your whole PC and Windows Operating System and all Games.

Over the Years, a running System ain't getting better, and certain Tools which claim to improve and 'clean up' are doing the exact opposite in 80% of all Cases... they might even be responsible for deleting Registry Entries that cause that very Problems they claim to help avoid to arise a few Weeks later.

yeh but this doesnt delete them... and this by no way gets near the registry..

Edited by DeerSpotter, 31 October 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#18 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostThe Black Sun, on 30 October 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Purposely going for the Double Post here for the Sake of differentiating for reading:

That's because it goes like this:
. . .
NET STOP "Windows Time"

echo Starting MechWarriorOnline...
start /w .\MechWarriorOnline

echo MechWarriorOnline finished...
echo Re-starting applications...

-> pause <-

START explorer.exe
START ctfmon.exe
NET START "Alerter"
. . .

Which means, it'll display... "MechWarriorOnline finished... Re-starting applications..." and THEN pauses.

It didn't actually (try to) restart anything yet, and will only continue to do so, if the User presses the popular "Any Key". Ya know. So, if you just hit Play with your Mouse instead of closing that .BAT Command Window, you play, then some Time later quit MWO, and then press "Any Key" on the Command Window, it goes on restarting Stuff.

So, instead of saying:
"MechWarriorOnline finished... Re-starting applications..."

It should probably say:
"Keep this Window open in the Background while playing.
Afterwards, push Any Key to restart Applications.
Have Fun!"

And then, once you hit the Any Key after shutting MWO down, it should say:
"Re-starting applications..."

Soo, the .BAT itself is just confusing about the Way it works, I guess.
This .BAT works in mysterious Ways, ya know.

Dude i love you! You are the best! UPDATED OP

i am limited in my .bat knowledge... but i try my best.

Edited by DeerSpotter, 31 October 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#19 The Black Sun

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:02 AM

View PostDeerSpotter, on 31 October 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

yeh but this doesnt delete them... and this by no way gets near the registry..

What do you mean by that...?
My Mentioning of the Registry was because most People rely on so-called Cleaning Tools which are making Stuff worse, because People don't even know or understand what the Registry actually is and how it works.

Also, there is no Way of ever deleting a Service. All you can do is stop them and configure them not to run when you start your System. And if you do so, you cut Part of your System's Functionality. Doing so is barely ever having any impact on Performance whatsoever.

Disable Printer Spooler Service. Impact on Performance = absolute Zero.
Results: Your System doesn't know how to print Stuff with a Printer anymore if you order it to do so.
And that's it. There's very little Stuff that impacts the Performance, like Indexing and Shadow Copies.

Turn off Indexing, and you can't use Windows Search within your Folders any longer. Because if you do, Results won't pop um within 10 Seconds, but within maybe 5 Minutes of waiting. If you're okay with that... go ahead. This is the Service that helps with CPU-Performance [not searching File Performance, though...] the most, if turned off. But like all other Services: It only helps when your System is indexing Stuff, currently. Which it won't do if there's any Activity going on, it will do so if Stuff is idle only. If it does behave differently, there's something wrong.

SSDlers should turn that Service off, since they don't need the Service as their SSD is fast enough yet and the SSD's Lifespan is being minimized if the Service is running. On usual HDDs however, searching Files without Indexing Service is probably going to drive you Nuts.

Turn off Shadow Copies, and... well, Performance doesn't really go up in any Way. Shadow Copies of new Files won't be made immediately, just once per Day, and in just a few, selected Folders, AND just if the File has been modified since the last Copy. Also, the Service is primarily being used for Backup and Recovery, for example. Restore Points? Yeah, they kinda work with Shadow Copies. Previous Versions Tab in Properties of a File is Shadow Copies - primarily, as you may have guessed, from the last Restore Point, the last Backup you made with Backup and Recovery. So this Way, you can restore just a single File from your last Backup. So, turning it off will... yeah, you figured it out yourself, I guess. 'Help with more Performance' only once per Day, for a few Seconds, and not even noticably. In other Words, it will prevent your normal Performance to go down its unnoticably bit for maybe 20 Seconds a Day.

I don't wanna be too detailed about the Stuff here, because all you gotta know is your Windows itself is the Accumulation of its Services. Just as your Personality is the Accumulation of your Experiences and Memories. Shutting down certain Parts of this, ... yeah. But then again, for the average User, this .BAT isn't even doing anything to the Services, so...

Also, I gotta support what cSand said here - XP is soon going to have its 'eternal Zero Day', meaning there's no more Patches for it. Believe it or not, but this actually matters nowadays. Hackers will keep an Eye out for the newer System's Patches, and know which Security Loopholes have been patched. This Loopholes do ofttimes exist throughout all Windows Versions. They're patching Windows 8, patching the very same Stuff in Windows 7, and oh, they're not patching the same Stuff in XP any longer. And Hackers do indeed know that. [Free Viruses, anyone?]

Posted Image
Infection Rate of Systems: Seven-year Study

Also, outdated Drivers, new Hardware support, and all that Stuff isn't helping your Performance in any Way, either. After all, Cryengine 3 and the Software and Hardware it's been designed for is newer than XP.

In Case you're wondering, I'm Specialist in Computer Science - guess that's what it's called in English.
My Dictionary at least says so. And, after all, I'm just trying to help, just like you.

Edited by The Black Sun, 01 November 2013 - 04:47 AM.

#20 Candun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 124 posts
  • Locationpotland oilgon

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

i have a bunch of errors that pop up when i use this,but i did see a performance boost ty much

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users