- - - - -

Why So Many Horrible People?

178 replies to this topic

#1 Reagusmech

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:28 AM

Just started playing, and had the glory of seeing some guy called [redacted] from [redacted] harass a guy after killing him with 3 other lights non-stop all game with comments like "Mmmm tasty" and just kept on and on and on

I've seen it in other matches as well, and I just want to know why are people so overly hostile? It seems to be as toxic as League of Legends, and thats saying something.....

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 20 October 2013 - 05:51 AM.
Redacting named player and unit

#2 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:32 AM

Hmmm I don't think stuff like that happens too often dude, usually there is a troll or two and a couple guys blaming their team for losing etc, but most people are kind enough not to gloat and place blame on others in pug games. So don't give up and I hope to see you on the battlefield!

#3 Delas Ting Usee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 548 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:38 AM

I'm guilty of such bad behaviour. There's a certain level of frustration when you do your very best only to see your teammates do rather inane things and you start seeing red...not saying I'm a better pilot or what not. Just stating that when one's frustration level is at an all time high, bad behaviour and bad judgement take over. Not an excuse, just a reason. In hindsight, I mostly wished I hadn't , would help if we could COMMUNICATE with our teammates on some sort of voice comms.

#4 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

First, never name and shame, or the moderators will sanction you. I'd edit your post, just in case!
http://mwomercs.com/...warrior-justice

As for the point of your OP, yeah, people are richards. I do happen to know of the person you mention (one of my clanmates plays regularly with him), and I can say he's quite competitive. Gloating will go with that, although I don't agree with it.

Generally this sort of smack talk isn't what I'd call the main hostility problem with the chat in this game - it's when people call each other out for being 'n00bs' or whatever without offering actual advice. On their own team or otherwise.

I hope you have better games!

#5 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:54 AM

View PostDelas Ting Usee, on 20 October 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

I'm guilty of such bad behaviour. There's a certain level of frustration when you do your very best only to see your teammates do rather inane things and you start seeing red...not saying I'm a better pilot or what not. Just stating that when one's frustration level is at an all time high, bad behaviour and bad judgement take over. Not an excuse, just a reason. In hindsight, I mostly wished I hadn't , would help if we could COMMUNICATE with our teammates on some sort of voice comms.

First, bonus points for admitting to it.

But, getting pissed isn't a reason, it's a failure to control yourself. At that point, reason has fled, and emotion rules the day. Now I am not saying I haven't called people things that would give the mods strokes, but no one hears it unless i happen to hit the TS button. Venting stress is a good thing, but do it in a way that no one else is harmed. Good life lesson there as well, as yelling at a co-worker or boss is not a positive career move.

#6 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

Just to reiterate, what Arnold said above :( Good hunting.

#7 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

Its the internet, disregard such ppl and if so offensive send a ticket.

#8 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

Was in a match last night with an individual who kvetched ad nauseum how people didn't back him up when he rushed the caves on Forest Colony. When I pointed out that thrusting 11 teammates plus aggressors into that cave wasn't sound, tactically, he called me a dipsh**. I suggested he grow up and then let him rage. Not much you can do with some people. In their mind if your team wins, it was due in large part to that individual's brilliant strategy and battle cunning, if they lose it's everyone else's fault. At no time can they ever accept personal responsibility for being a derp.

#9 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

Tell them that if they actually took hold of their mouse instead of using both hands on the keyboard during a match then maybe your team would have won.

#10 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

Heh, I like the comment, "how did you leave me to die", when that player ran off to start.

#11 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

Some level of smack talk is to be expected in a competitive game. Honestly, I worry more about folks who complain about "useless PUGs", or no "team coordination" mostly because I find those players are often more the problem than anything. Particularly players who suggest a tactic that gets shot down, and so they simply refuse to participate in another tactic, which may fail becuase they're now down a man.

There are plenty of egos out there, and plenty of people who use the anononimity of the internet to be jerks. Don't let them under your skin, and if you find them downright abusive, report them.

#12 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

People can't accept their own failings. Well, not competitive ones anyway. You'd be amazed to find out that 100% of my losses are to ******* sync dropping premades and aimbotters.

Don't judge all of the community from this experience OP - there is actually quite a selection of decent, mature players available to counter the big bags of Richards getting around.

#13 PocketAces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEverywhere yet nowhere

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

Not everyone is like that, sometimes you do get frustrated with players doing weird things. I try to give helpful advice where possible. Had some fellow shooting the oil rig, told him you couldn't damage buildings, he replied with a thank you and I talked him through the rest of the match (I was already dead). Helped a few other new players out as well, so hopefully they will stay, more the merrier I say. ;)

#14 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

1.) it is a game with random dudes all over the internetz -- if you are upset by comments from random dudes in the webs then the problem is on you... a thick skin will do wonders to your virtual and RL persona..

2.) we all were noobs/newbs whatever once upon a time... in fact i know of some players from a unit i used to know that haven't improved after playing the game for a year... i just dropped against them earlier tonight, i got a kill with a locust vs a cicada! and my guild mate got a kill with a flamer commando vs a thunderbolt... we had LOLs all around.... erm, i digress... anyway, you will get better with time... that is why closed beta was money well spent... we got to try stuff and learn without it affecting our stats and wut not... so just keep at it...

imma troll - but there are lines that you don't cross so the mods don't nurf your troll goodness... the capital crimes of TKing/ racism / sexism will be reported and usually actioned by mods/game masters fairly quickly...

#15 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

I occasionally will do a "wth are you doing" when I see adoing something silly like running in circles and not be DC'd. Or like the other day asking why a mech moving at 70kph was attempting to out run multiple mechs moving faster than him only to get his rear blasted out. Or the people who go and hide as the last mech with no hope of winning on caps or killing the other team, just to extend the game instead of maybe getting some points and going in as a blaze of glory ;)

#16 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

Welcome to the internet!

Also: because the Mechs lack a crouch function (so you can teabag your kill) we must verbally teabag players.

#17 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

You're dropping with random guys from across the internet, I know, already been said. They bring their bad habits from those games into this one. Since launch, this game has been crawlign with more than the usual amount, but don't worry. As time goes by they will either leave or learn the way of the mechwarrior, to not make a target of yourself by shouting over chat, and that the majority of the 'oldtimers' around here are pretty mature about their trash talk, the league of legends,Battlefield,CoD stuff doesn't make them friends, only help alienate them from the people who may have been good team mates one day.

Example, About a week ago, some {scrap}hat was shouting profanities over chat at the start of the game, to the point that he was ******* off everyone in the match but him, when the game started, he was found and legged, then one of the players announced he was legged, and the storm of picking him apart piece by piece commenced, it was pretty funny. I played a match with him about an hour later and he was remarkably quiet. He even played decently, not well, but decently.

It just takes time for the newer players to learn that they aren't in 'insert random game here' any longer. If they continue after that, well, you can't fix {scrap}hole on everyone.

#18 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Alas, on the internet too many people think they are the next Napoleon or Rommel, when in fact they are still the same McDonalds fry maker. Last match that I had someone complaining about his team, he was at 100% health 5 minutes into the match, had not engaged the enemy, and soon died in his assault mech to some lights.....but, of course the rest of the team was at fault.

#19 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

I try to offer constructive suggestions like, " [name] minimum range of lrms is 180m". Sometimes, if I see a player who is not doing a good job at all, I will ask, "[name] r u a new player?" Not to start flaming them, but to see if they can use some help after I'm dead. Sometimes I will even ask at the start of a match if there are new players on my team. I honestly can't fault new players for not having full control of their mechs; this game has a pretty steep learning curve. But, when I see a player who is driving a mech that they had to either spend c-bills fpr or mc doing poorly, I will generally try to offer suggestions. If they don't take them and don't respond, I will try to start a conversation with them in team chat. About the most disparaging thing I will type in all chat is, 'well-played enemy. Us, not so much.' I think that overall the more experienced players tend to be a lot more easy going. Granted, I play with some excellent competitive players, but the vast majority of our comments slamming our team are kept on comms, not on in-game chat. Even then, it's more about, why did so-and-so do this instead of that?

#20 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Also, if anyone types anything in chat that I find offensive, I will typically warn them to watch their language or I will report them. If they type anything else, take a screen shot and send it along with a support ticket stating the players name, which map it was and when the drop occurred (don't forget to include your time zone). PGI takes complaints seriously, even though it may take a while for them to take action because they have to investigate. Any swear words, racial or sexist slurs are immediate reports as far as I'm concerned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users