Ams Assist Reward

64 replies to this topic

Poll: Ams Assist Reward (214 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a reward for protecting team members by your AMS?

1. Yes (192 votes [89.72%])

Percentage of vote: 89.72%

2. No (22 votes [10.28%])

Percentage of vote: 10.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 DrDre

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Sure. If it improves in game behavior to use AMS to aid allies then yeah... Balancing should be priority as with everything could be abused

#42 Bogdan Kobzar

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

While this may be a "feature suggestion" I'll post my thoughts here first.
Without 'grieving' about the current lrm / ams changes.

It would be nice if there was a statistic we could view on our profile=>stats page that would show the effectiveness of the anit-missile system for the individuals targeted mech as well as team mates collectively.

currently, we are able to view the statistics about our offensive weapons.
While ams is listed, since it's not doing dmg to enemy mechs the stats are zero.

I feel that this would promote more teamwork. There are several mechs that have limited offensive weapons that are equipped with dual ams. In this way, the dual ams mech of the player would be rewarded by supporting the team.

Just my thoughts, thank you for your consideration.

#43 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

voted yes.

wanted to know what FinsT's reasons to go against it were but i dozed off after the first word.

#44 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:02 AM

I wish my AMS could shoot enemy light mechs(with machinegun damage) ;)

Seriously though A small Cbill/XP bonus for every 10 missiles your AMS shoots down aimed at your friends is perfectly viable. BAP cancelling ECM already gives a bonus and lets you spot targets without a TAG.

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 23 March 2014 - 06:02 AM.

#45 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

i wouldn't mind. I spend a lot of time in a small mech actually hiding and letting my AMS just help out my fellow mechs until I can get into fighting range.

#46 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

A small bonus for AMS use might not be a bad idea, might make more players use it. Besides, C-bill earnings are a little on the low side anyways since 12 mans happened.

#47 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostGray 46rus, on 21 October 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

What about a small C-bill/EXP reward for destroying missiles that threating team members?

Yes Yes Yes! That's what I've been screaming. I have my AMS boat (My Jester with dual AMS + AMS Range 2 Module + Tons of AMS Ammo) and I feel I should get rewarded for investing tons of my build into this. Especially with AMS range I can expend all of my AMS ammo without ever getting a warning of incoming missiles. This is great and I do it for the reason of protecting my team - there should be recognition of this fact though.

View PostBigbacon, on 23 March 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

i wouldn't mind. I spend a lot of time in a small mech actually hiding and letting my AMS just help out my fellow mechs until I can get into fighting range.

Yep I've been in situations where I'll run to missile targeted teammates to provide them AMS cover.

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 23 March 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

I wish my AMS could shoot enemy light mechs(with machinegun damage) :)

Seriously though A small Cbill/XP bonus for every 10 missiles your AMS shoots down aimed at your friends is perfectly viable. BAP cancelling ECM already gives a bonus and lets you spot targets without a TAG.

BAP doesn't cancel ECM. I think you're thinking of ECM set to "Counter" mode.

View PostBogdan Kobzar, on 22 March 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

While this may be a "feature suggestion" I'll post my thoughts here first.
Without 'grieving' about the current lrm / ams changes.

It would be nice if there was a statistic we could view on our profile=>stats page that would show the effectiveness of the anit-missile system for the individuals targeted mech as well as team mates collectively.

currently, we are able to view the statistics about our offensive weapons.
While ams is listed, since it's not doing dmg to enemy mechs the stats are zero.

I feel that this would promote more teamwork. There are several mechs that have limited offensive weapons that are equipped with dual ams. In this way, the dual ams mech of the player would be rewarded by supporting the team.

Just my thoughts, thank you for your consideration.

Agreed - would love to see AMS stats.

View PostDrDre, on 25 November 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Sure. If it improves in game behavior to use AMS to aid allies then yeah... Balancing should be priority as with everything could be abused

How could you abuse it?

View PostDavidHurricane, on 25 November 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Now of course, it would need to be a small reward (and maybe not like this:

Spoiler
instead just the sum or that salvo) but yeah I think an AMS bonus would be good.

Well like when you get a Counter ECM bonus I think you get it and then can't get it again until another ECM situation...or maybe once per enemy - not sure. I'm sure that part would be easy to figure out.

View PostKastor1994, on 19 November 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

I really think that AMS doesn't need a reward one primary reason: people don't need any encouragement to use AMS right now

That really hits it on the head as to why AMS is used so rampantly. Nearly every match I'm in, 2/3 of my team has AMS. My own stats for using the LRM 15 read that it has a 15% accuracy, which, for a homing weapon, is embarrassing. I accredit this not to clever pilots ducking behind cover, but AMS being on nearly every mech on the field.

If you are getting 15% it's not just due to AMS...it might not be clever pilots always ducking behind cover (though surely a significant bit is) but also you may be firing at enemies that are already under cover. Like a NARCed enemy in a tunnel lol.

Edited by Geeks On Hugs, 01 May 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#48 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 01 November 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

[color=#959595]What if the potential trajectory of a ballistic shell or laser would hit a friendly if not for you getting in the way? Why not give a bonus for that too?[/color]

Just goes to show you can argue against anything. That's a hugely silly analogy and doesn't make your point at all.

View PostOppresor, on 24 October 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Quote: "I think this is a great idea, my locust 3M (2 x AMS) kept an Atlas in the fight longer as I zipped back to him every time I saw incoming missiles targeted on him."

PocketAces, This is one of the best examples I have ever seen of team support; people knock the Locust, but you have found a really effective use for it. I would be honoured to go into battle along side you.

I bought that Locust just because it has dual AMSes...I stopped using it though because it would appear I contributed nothing to the match at the end of the game when in fact I was a highly mobile missile shield for me mates.

Edited by Geeks On Hugs, 01 May 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#49 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

I think this would be a great idea.

Furthermore, there should be some sort of bonus for supporting your team with ECM.

I'd say along the line of:
Each missile shot down is 20 c-bills and 2 xp. (roughly the same as standard damage rates - not sure what standard XP is though)
I believe it takes 9AMS ammo to kill a missile (at least that's what I read), so that's a potential 100-120 missiles per ton of AMS ammo, or 2,000-2,400 C-bills and 200-240 xp.

AND for each 10 seconds a friendly mech is under your ECM umbrella, you gain 20 C-Bills and 5 xp.
IF for an entire match (15 minutes, or 900 seconds, or 90 lots), you keep your lance (3 mechs) under ECM, that'd be a potential of 5,200 C-Bills and 1,350 xp.

Now obviously this will be more or less depending on what happens, and how long the match lasts, but this ultimately isn't much, and would be a nice touch, plus encourage support mechs to support.

#50 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostGeeks On Hugs, on 01 May 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

BAP doesn't cancel ECM. I think you're thinking of ECM set to "Counter" mode.
According to the wiki page:

#51 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

View PostOvion, on 01 May 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

If it's canonical then I think they ought to make it happen. I use ECMs and BAPs...honestly I can't tell for sure if BAP is doing anything helpful.

#52 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:27 AM

If you have ECM and BAP on the same mech, then the BAP loses its Counter ability, and you must switch your ECM to Counter Mode.

The extra sensor range and target info gathering makes it pretty worth while even then though tbh.

#53 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

Might actually give me a reason to mount AMS on my Locust 3M. I know I don't now, since it's so easy to avoid LRMs entirely in a light that fast.

#54 Valten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Both AMS and ECM defense are sadly forgotten in the reward system. AMS is the worst as it takes up a larger portion of my mech's resources. Besides, where nearly all mechs can carry AMS it bugs me that there is no benefit. This really gets me on my Kit Fox (affectionately named the Umbrella) where I carry 3 AMS and an ECM which leaves virtually no tonnage for weapons. My team mates appreciate the cover but there is no reward for me making the mech about as much fun as watching paint dry (or spectating after you die)

#55 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:30 AM

A great idea but the reward needs to be minimal.

#56 Shrike ski

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 44 posts
  • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

uhhh like bump dude

#57 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Yes.
I would like a reward. But not something that queues up on the first missile shot down. Something that would require you actively helping to protect your allies.

The reward should be good, but should require something like 20 to 30 seconds of actively protecting allies against missile salvos (accumulative), and rewarded once every minute or so.

#58 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

The simple one in that regard would be a small/middling reward, that will trigger every time you shoot down missiles from a volley that are locked onto a team mate within say, 250-500M

#59 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

I voted yes, but it would have to be a small reward since it's a passive system that we don't control. The reward would IMO be more for giving up the tons to bring the weapon system that helps protect the team as well.

Edited by Jeb, 19 August 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#60 Mad Pig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 487 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

PGI. Make it so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users