48 replies to this topic

#21 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

It's very, very good, but it needs more claw. It doesn't need to be a fully articulated claw just some geometry integrated into the arms to make it look like cannons are crab claws. Take Alex's version, for example, the barrels are surrounded above and below by that geometry and it has the vague appearance of a crab's claw. Otherwise, 'sgood.

(Did I make sense?)

#22 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

If they had that in the game, I would be piloting one. It's be one of the very few assaults I would use. (Hate the Atlas.)

Only suggestion I might have is I think the arms/shoulder should be moved forwards more, being in front of the hips and hanging off near the front of the torso, like a Crabs claws.

Other than that, I love it.

#23 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

Now thats a well organized frankenmech, has to be the largest Cicada CT you will ever see!!

#24 owen1187

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

i dont play assault mechs much, but this is one assault mech i would enjoy playing (where is my banshee...please my banshee.) even if it looks exactly as it stands now, and even if F.D doesnt add his magical touch to it. i would still use it. and no not because of the dual ac/20s, i just like using old mech chassis`, that and it looks awesome. great work, great work.

#25 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Looks really good dude, but agree with others needs to be larger in comparison to the Atlas, chin height would be good and more wider side on. (would like a side on comparison pic too).

#26 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 01 November 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Looks really good dude, but agree with others needs to be larger in comparison to the Atlas, chin height would be good and more wider side on. (would like a side on comparison pic too).

Think of it's current sizes though.

From above: Large square that would be easy to hit, and it might not be able to return fire. (Arms are low slung, torso mounted weapons are high, but torso mounted. Reduced vertical movement.)

From the side: Large sides, and will be easy to hit from the side. Think like a Jenner easy side, or a Stalker from the side, but much larger sides than either of those.

From the front: Shorter, making it a little more sneaky. However, everything it probably going to disrupt it's weapon fire arcs (Main gun arms are low). Sure, it might be able to sneak up on you, but it's a nice, wide, large but not tall target. (And slow.)

LRMs are going to be this mech's bane. Too slow to dodge them. That large top view size will mean LRMs are going to easily land all over the top of it. It might be a shorter mech and gain some advantages from that, but overall it's going to be wider and thicker than the Atlas. I find it is easier to hit something from side to side, than from top to bottom. This will probably make the King Crab actually easier to hit overall, though it will still have merit and will be a little easier to hide behind short obstructions.

Also, if you look at the models themselves for TT, I know the Crab only goes up to mid thigh of the Atlas. The King Crab (the next mech I'm getting for my TT army) appears only a little taller than it's 50 ton counterpart, and looks like it's going to end up near the elbows of an Atlas. Of course, the physical model size for TT isn't everything, but if the TT models are showing it, I'd like to see it considered in the game as well.

(PS: When shooting this mech from the side, I suspect that it will be able to still get hit on the other side of the mech. Atlas will still probably be better at "rolling" damage around.)

#27 Chronic Rune

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLand of Green Chile, North American Continent, Terra

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

looks fantastic, sadly I doubt PGI will add any assault mechs capable of using double ac/20s.

#28 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostLt XKalibur, on 30 October 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

It's very, very good, but it needs more claw. It doesn't need to be a fully articulated claw just some geometry integrated into the arms to make it look like cannons are crab claws. Take Alex's version, for example, the barrels are surrounded above and below by that geometry and it has the vague appearance of a crab's claw. Otherwise, 'sgood.

(Did I make sense?)

Seconded (though, it would be more intriguing - and accurate-to-BT - if the claws were actuated). ;)

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Haruko. One aspect that the art doesn't show is the side of the Crab. When it comes to King Crab art there's almost always one of three things. Very wide or very long, or saucer-shaped with both wide and long.

The height is actually not that dissimilar from what I imagined. I pictured the top of the crab being no higher from the ground than a Jagermech (not counting it's racing fin). I pictured it long and wide (like "Awesome" wide even though I know that an Awesome isn't really wider than an Atlas).

So, height is good -- actually it might be a tad too tall but that's due to the shape you've given it. Width, a bit wider. Length, significantly longer. The art you have from the guy who designs MWO's mechs actually points the shoulders 'in front' of the hips much like most official designs for the King Crab, not above the hips like Bishop's, yours, and many fan-built ones.

As an area of denial mech, the King Crab is made to put a stop to intruders in a small area. Its strength is the vertically small profile that is difficult to hit with direct fire weaponry. Its supremely obvious weakness is meant to be LRMs raining down from above.

Oh, and claws. It needs claws.

Good work otherwise!

#30 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

View Postharuko, on 26 October 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

I was trying to stick to FD's rendition of it, since, all the mechs in-game are based off his art after all.

If you look at his art and look at the spy crab (the little guy in the suit) next to the King Crab you'll see that his is actually squatter than my version.

all true and good points. I guess that's one reason I never really loved his KGC iteration as much as some of his work, because it seemed wonky on proportions from other versions of the King Crab. Funnily though I absolutely love his Crab redesign.

#31 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Wow, I just found this and it's amazing!

(could be bigger, tough)

#32 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Wow... I can totally see a Daishi evolving from a King Crab after the Exodus now... Cool work!

I agree that it should be a bit bigger, though. Right now it looks fairly close in size to an Awesome.

#33 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 16 January 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

Wow... I can totally see a Daishi evolving from a King Crab after the Exodus now... Cool work!

I agree that it should be a bit bigger, though. Right now it looks fairly close in size to an Awesome.

Though, part of the point of the KGC's torso design is that it is short (vertically; height-wise) for its weight class, but broad (laterally; shoulder-to-shoulder) and relatively long (longitudinally; nose-to-tail) - which echoes the body shape of its namesake. ;)

Posted Image

That being said, it could (IMO) use a bit of upscaling (in addition to actuated claws :P).

Posted Image

Posted Image

IMO, the proportions of the 'Mech itself are great, but it could/should be scaled up so that the waist joint (e.g. where the 'Mech torso-twists) is at about the same level as that of the Atlas, with the top of the central body coming to the Atlas' "chin".

Thoughts?

#34 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 16 January 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

Though, part of the point of the KGC's torso design is that it is short (vertically; height-wise) for its weight class, but broad (laterally; shoulder-to-shoulder) and relatively long (longitudinally; nose-to-tail) - which echoes the body shape of its namesake. ;)

Posted Image

That being said, it could (IMO) use a bit of upscaling (in addition to actuated claws ;)).

(Pictures removed for space)
IMO, the proportions of the 'Mech itself are great, but it could/should be scaled up so that the waist joint (e.g. where the 'Mech torso-twists) is at about the same level as that of the Atlas, with the top of the central body coming to the Atlas' "chin".

Thoughts?

Do consider how long the King Crab is. From the side, it's a hard target to miss. If it's also as tall as the Atlas (even to it's chin), then it's nothing but a target vertically, horizontally, and aerially (LRM wise). Also, that short height can be as much an advantage as a disadvantage. Small hills can block it's view or make it so it is hard for it to shoot back...

Just my take on it, as with it's mass being considered to it's volume, it's not as thin as any other assault. It will be a different breed of mech in the Assault range of mechs. Just like the Crabs profile will be different for the Medium weight range.

#35 Tenatius B

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

This is awesome. Nice job!

#36 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

king cicada

#37 PaintedWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Yeah baby I want more *drops a couple Franklins*!

Woohoo! More of that, oh yeah.

I'm gonna make love to you, woman,
Gonna lay you down by the fire!
And caress your womanly body,
Make ya moan and perspire.
Gonna get those juices flowin'
We makin' love baby, love baby,
love baby, love, love, love, baby!

#38 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Well, they did just announce that they will be placed in a whole knew assault mech for March. Don't hold your breath (or you will probably pass out before March anyway), but there is a chance it is the King Crab! Could also be a Banshie or some other Assault as well... :)

#39 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Love your work! i'm trying to put together a bit of a King crab revival here http://mwomercs.com/...earded-revival/

If you don't mind, I would feel honored if you posted your great artwork there -_- i don't mean to be pushy, but I figured it woud help us both out. help awareness of King Crabs.

#40 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

bad news guys, looks like its not the KCG

https://mobile.twitt...me=russ_bullock

I guess I wont be buying new mechs for awhile :/ at least I'll have a lot of C-bills saved up

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users