King Of The Hill

16 replies to this topic

Poll: King of the Hill Mode (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a King of the Hill game mode>?

1. yes (39 votes [81.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.25%

2. no (9 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

So all like to ***** and moan about cappers be it in assault or in conquest which baffles me as it is the objective.
Anyhow...I would like to see a 'king of the hill' game mode. One cap in center area of the map thus bringing the two teams togother in a epic battle for the single cap.
Adding to my wish list along w/collisions re-addition, ui2.0, CW's and destructible environment.

Edited by xMEPHISTOx, 30 October 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#2 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Not sure how it would be any significantly different than current conquest gameplay on some maps, except with fewer people running around the outside.

I am always in favor of adding new game modes, but I'd rather see attack/defend. This would just be a clusterpoop.

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

attack/defend has problems too, like not giving lights anything to do.

IMO what we need is attack/defend combined with conquest. And you can win either by destroying the enemy base or by accumulating enough resource points. That type of gamemode has something for everybody.

#4 Wriath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Lights could figure which way enemies are coming from in attack and defend? As far as the offense team yeah, I guess you're right but... (something something weight matching)
I voted no for a king of the hill mode, it'd favor large beefier mechs, and I don't really think we need another box to stand in.

#5 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Lights could figure which way enemies are coming from in attack and defend?

You dont need a light for that. Any heavy with 3PV can do that.

#6 Wriath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

If you don't know the difference between scouting, and being able to see around a hill, that is not my problem.

#7 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostWriath, on 30 October 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Lights could figure which way enemies are coming from in attack and defend? As far as the offense team yeah, I guess you're right but... (something something weight matching)
I voted no for a king of the hill mode, it'd favor large beefier mechs, and I don't really think we need another box to stand in.

Not so much about having a 'box' to stand in as it is having an objective...so people don't just wander aimlessly about in chaos.

#8 Bluecricket

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

It's less that I want a specific 'King of the Hill' mode and more that we need both something else other than the current two types we have now. A re-review and/or overhaul of existing game modes and mechanics wouldn't hurt, either--a big problem with Assault is the 'blob vs. blob' gameplay MWO currently encourages.

Groups always blob together, either causing what I call the 'NASCAR' syndrome (e.g. both groups loop around each other and end up at each others' base without resistance) or a side with overcommit either into the brawl or back to defend and get cut down due to inferior numbers on both sides. You can argue the latter is 'good strategy' from the winning team, but it's not really all that fun.

I'd rather see a third, central point to be contested and capped before a base cap to end the game is possible. This point may be randomized or placed in different sections of the map to help promote variation in gameplay per map, as well as potentially utilize 'wasted' space seen in some maps (see: Alpine). Further spreading Lance spawns, such as how Crimson Strait drops players, may help as well.

edit: If we're going to see KotH, I'd like to see something along the lines of Halo's 'Crazy King' mode, where the cap point wll move to a different location on the map every X minutes. That could be a lot of fun in MWO, and could help promote the use of Lights and Mediums to rapidly move and engage enemies at the new 'Hill' when it pops.

Edited by Bluecricket, 30 October 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#9 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

If you don't know the difference between scouting, and being able to see around a hill, that is not my problem.

The only difference between a light mech scouting and using 3PV to see around a hill is that your method puts a light mech at risk while my method puts no one at risk gives me same information.

Edited by Khobai, 30 October 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#10 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

i like the idea!
And can also understand some people's problems with it, the fights themselves will often always end up in the same place.
(Would suck bigtime on Terra Therma.. forcing people always into the deathbowl.)

They Dev's know about this. it's been discussed many times before.
I'm prepared to sit, and wait, and see what happens.

#11 Thaar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 224 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

King of the hill seems fine only if the capture point shift position from game to game, so that we could fight in different places inside each map.

#12 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:22 AM

I don't have much faith in a KotH mode. One of the reasons I don't play Assualt all that much is that it is basically a blob v blob to the center. It gets repetitive and boring. How is KotH any different than that?

#13 B E E L Z E B U B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 384 posts
  • LocationTopsy Turvy Town

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

I HATE CAPPPPPPPPING

#14 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

For KOTH to work well (read: balanced roles for all weight classes) it needs to be implemented with respawn. That way lights can get to the hill fast and start getting points before the big boys get there, and then when they die they can get BACK to the hill fast. Assaults take longer to get to the hill, but then at least theoretically stay there longer before dying and starting the process over again.

If implemented without respawn, no points should be scored while the hill is contested and the game should end immediately when one side is destroyed with the winner being the team with the most points, not the team that survives. This prevents the all-assault team from automatically winning by just stomping forward and claiming the hill.

#15 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

KotH only works as a mode in games with respawn. Even iif some sort of respawn were added to this game (like the long-rumored 'dropship' mode), I still don't think it would be a terribly fun game mode.

#16 InSaen

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

As it stands, people are going to play just to get kills, and poptarts are going to be the worst for this.

Until they can make the game work less like Mario Bros and try to cut down on the Counterstike BunnyHopping I dont see any reason to make a King of the Hill game. People will just stand back with PPCs and kill as many as possible and there wont be a reason to stop them. In the end lots of people care more about a Kill/Death Ratio than a score from one game. They need to level the playing field tech wise or its just going to be a couple guys standing at the back hopping around.

I don't think the Kill Death Ratio thing is the problem in the long run, its the mechanics that make sniping people are just simply not level on the battlefield.

There is a reason many medium and heavy mechs dont exist, they take a couple hits from some jump sniping guy across the map who nobody else can see and they are out of the game. It isnt skill, the mechanics let them outdamage everyone else because they cant be seen in time.

So you're left with Extreme lights and Heavies who can ether avoid a sniper or take a few shots, the middle weights aren't effective because they don't stand a chance against snipers.

To be honest, it isn't Mechwarrior when you have half a dozen guys hopping up and down across the map, please don't make more reasons to encourage that behaviour. If I saw a movie of a dozen Mechwarriors jumping across a map taking out everything in their path, I would first laugh and second, wonder why that kind of thing isn't skill/luck based. You want to fly? Put planes in the game, but keep jumping to a "Death from Above" or a lucky shot/skill scenario. Its just too easy right now.

Note: Minor Exception for that famous Outer Territory Clan fight, "the Battle of Whack a Mole" on the planet "poptart V"

The consistency of watching the damage done by a mech that jumpsnipes on a regular basis is at least twice the damage of the average mech. Play a game and watch. That's a comon average, Obviously putting the playstyles of most regular mechs at a huge disadvantage. Why would people play those other mechs if they just aren't going to do anything?

Fix the mechanics first to allow the common mechs a chance. Then talk about new game types.

#17 SuperNobody

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Honestly, at this point, ANY new game mode would be a welcome addition. I love the game, but would really like a variety of modes to keep things interesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users